First few days of ownership...

DynamoCappo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I guess it was worth the wait then. Finally (18 months after deposit) picked it up on Saturday.

First task was to drive it very nervously to the football. It felt huge compared to my Audi S4 in terms of the width but after only a few days it's pretty natural now.

Porsche Taycan First few days of ownership... 20230401_130649

Had it's first decent length of trip yesterday across the country with no issues at all. Quite happy with the range on it. Wasn't being daft with the speed at all and clocked just over 100 miles in it with just less than 50% of the battery used by the time I got home at night.

I'll try and take a couple of pictures of the interior too if anyone wants to see them as well. Delighted with the chalk option in the end. I think it lifts the look of it perfectly.

Porsche Taycan First few days of ownership... 20230401_140622

Porsche Taycan First few days of ownership... 20230401_140612

Both, on the trip yesterday and having been back and forth through reasonably heavy rush hour traffic for a couple of days, I'm pretty easily getting 40kwh/100 as a rough average.

I take it that figure on the dash is just an average of the last few minutes / miles? Does anyone know what length of time or distance it's calculating on.

I think the app is saying 2.6miles per Kwh too so, at 93kw battery, that's 240 or so miles so it's achieving a decent real term return compared to the estimate.

Last edited:

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
I guess it was worth the wait then. Finally (18 months after deposit) picked it up on Saturday.

First task was to drive it very nervously to the football. It felt huge compared to my Audi S4 in terms of the width but after only a few days it's pretty natural now.

20230401_130649.jpg

Had it's first decent length of trip yesterday across the country with no issues at all. Quite happy with the range on it. Wasn't been daft with the speed at all and clocked just over 100 miles in it with less than just more than 50% of the battery used by the time I got home at night.

I'll try and take a couple of pictures of the interior too if anyone wants to see them as well. Delighted with the chalk option in the end. I think it lifts the look of it perfectly.

20230401_140622.jpg

20230401_140612.jpg

Both, on the trip yesterday and having been back and forth through reasonably heavy rush hour traffic for a couple of days, I'm pretty easily getting 40kwh/100 as a rough average.

I take it that figure on the dash is just an average of the last few minutes / miles? Does anyone know what length of time or distance it's calculating on.

I think the app is saying 2.6miles per Kwh too so, at 93kw battery, that's 240 or so miles so it's achieving a decent real term return compared to the estimate.
In summer weather you should get 3.0/3.1

OP
OP
DynamoCappo

DynamoCappo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
In summer weather you should get 3.0/3.1
Magic. That's good to know. It's maybe down slightly from where it'll settle for me as I'm having constant shiatsu massage with air vents when I'm in it just now. :CWL:

Bought a 10m charging cable today (from a recommendation on here) as the 5m is a bit of a stretch when parking the car at home when I'm backed in. Don't really fancy parking it nose first so the longer cable will be a big help.

Managed to get the Zappi charger going without too many problems though pairing the Hub with the outside unit was a bit of a pest. Turns out I would have had it paired and working but the red lamp came on the charger port and I had to deselect the Porsche schedule in the PCM to allow a charger to take the lead on things.

Before I discovered that, I had reset the entire Zappi set up thinking it wasn't working properly. :angry:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag

Congratulations!
Usable capacity is 83.7kWh. My Turbo CT on 20" wheels is doing around 35kWh/100mls recently.

OP
OP
DynamoCappo

DynamoCappo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Congratulations!
Usable capacity is 83.7kWh. My Turbo CT on 20" wheels is doing around 35kWh/100mls recently.
That's good to know for doing quick calculations. Makes the range I'm achieving on my fag packet maths just a wee bit better than.

It's a bit of an eye opener when you leave first thing in the morning and it's doing 90kwh / 100 in the first mile or so! o_O

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag

20230401_130649.jpg

Had it's first decent length of trip yesterday across the country with no issues at all. Quite happy with the range on it. Wasn't been daft with the speed at all and clocked just over 100 miles in it with less than just more than 50% of the battery used by the time I got home at night.

20230401_140622.jpg

20230401_140612.jpg

"I take it that figure on the dash is just an average of the last few minutes / miles? Does anyone know what length of time or distance it's calculating on."
- Last 600km/375 miles. I mean the range "GuessOmeter".

Chalks99

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo Turbo
Country flag

20230401_130649.jpg

20230401_140622.jpg

20230401_140612.jpg

Beautiful machine, congratulations!
I recently collected my CT Turbo, on a full charge it says range is 200 miles but I expect this to improve once it gets a bit warmer.

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Beautiful machine, congratulations!
I recently collected my CT Turbo, on a full charge it says range is 200 miles but I expect this to improve once it gets a bit warmer.
I’d a 4S for 18mths before my present Turbo.
The prior car comfortably manages 170/180 mile round trips whilst current Turbo simply doesn’t. Its created an anxiety I wasn’t accustomed to!

My mileage on present Turbo at recommended 85% charge is 180 miles (as pictured) but as others mentioned, 10% of range disappears very quickly at start up. There are occasional days where combination of warm weather, driving style and type of roads (aiding regen) gets me 3.0+ miles per kw … you couldn’t bank on when all those factors combine, best to know your public charging options per journey inside out!

Porsche Taycan First few days of ownership... IMG_9197

OP
OP
DynamoCappo

DynamoCappo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Battery preconditioning helps a lot with initial trip consumption.
I've still to go back in and have this explained to me with the expert.

On collection, as we were short for time, it was very much the basics we ran through.

The last couple of mornings before heading out I've put the precooked/heating function on via the MyPorsche app but is that just the internal cabin temp that is dealing with?

Coming home just now, at 9pm, from being out at night (and with the car full of passengers) the kwh/100 was way into the 50s.

ardevd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've still to go back in and have this explained to me with the expert.

On collection, as we were short for time, it was very much the basics we ran through.

The last couple of mornings before heading out I've put the precooked/heating function on via the MyPorsche app but is that just the internal cabin temp that is dealing with?

Coming home just now, at 9pm, from being out at night (and with the car full of passengers) the kwh/100 was way into the 50s.
Battery preconditioning takes a long time. Hence, a departure timer must be used if you want to ensure optimal battery temperature before departure. That said, if the car in parked indoors and connected to power you’ll generally find the battery at around 25c degrees. If you’re parked outside AC charging doesn’t necessarily generate enough heat to warm up the battery.

I presume the Taycan behaves like many other EVs when it comes to battery preconditioning. It requires a departure timer set and a fully charged vehicle that’s plugged into power. Heating up the battery is energy intensive so unless the car is fully charged and can draw power from an external power source, there’s no point in spending energy preheating the battery.

The car will also preheat the battery while driving if a HPC is set as a destination in the navigation system.

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is worth a relaxing view if you’ve an hour to spare … there are always a few features that dealer fails to mention or owner doesn’t quite grasp given the extent of features and customisation!

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Battery preconditioning helps a lot with initial trip consumption.
As your car is new, it will still be bedding the brakes in for the next few 100miles. So you want be getting any regenerative braking benefit yet.

You'll know when you start getting it when you get a green line going anti-clockwise around the dial in the centre tube when you brake (you'll get a blue clockwise one for very outset when you press the accelerator).

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag

20230401_130649.jpg

20230401_140622.jpg

20230401_140612.jpg

not driving it hard enough! :)

OP
OP
DynamoCappo

DynamoCappo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Battery preconditioning takes a long time. Hence, a departure timer must be used if you want to ensure optimal battery temperature before departure. That said, if the car in parked indoors and connected to power you’ll generally find the battery at around 25c degrees. If you’re parked outside AC charging doesn’t necessarily generate enough heat to warm up the battery.

I presume the Taycan behaves like many other EVs when it comes to battery preconditioning. It requires a departure timer set and a fully charged vehicle that’s plugged into power. Heating up the battery is energy intensive so unless the car is fully charged and can draw power from an external power source, there’s no point in spending energy preheating the battery.

The car will also preheat the battery while driving if a HPC is set as a destination in the navigation system.
Thanks for the explanation.

My immediate thinking was that if you're warming up the battery just to have it more efficient when it starts, the downside is a massive draw on electricity in the house when you're charging it so you're maybe no better off?

I put a schedule on for this morning as I was leaving slightly later than usual to see if it made any difference and I can't say I noticed that it did on the journey where the kwh/100 miles was sitting nearer the 50 (possibly as I'm driving it a bit harder as I get used to it) than it had been.
Sponsored