First impressions on 2022 4SCT and Canadian winter experience

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I bought a demo 4SCT and thought I would report my experience driving in the Canadian winter. I also have a Tesla Y to compare to.

Over all the car performs very well in significant snow. Traction management is excellent. Snow tires are installed.
Some things to note:
  • Range at average 120kmph highway speed in cold weather (freezing conditions) with heat on is about 25% less than predicted. No surprise here.
  • Heating and seat heats are fast and very effective.
  • One issue is that unlike an ICE, when the car is parked outside after driving through snow, the undercarriage, wheels etc don't thaw. There is no engine heat obviously. This hasnt been a problem so far but I wonder what would happen if I collected a lot of snow in wheel wells, wheels, and undercarriage and then left it overnight. Preheating helps a bit on the windows.
  • Cameras seem to freeze up a lot which limits use of ACC, Break assist, and parking cameras.
  • Enough wheel spin to have fun under fast throttle application but at slow application wheels grip very well.
  • Even lifted the fairings are a bit low (this isnt an SUV so watch for frozen snowbanks)
Overall impressions are very good. Battery range is as anticipated. The driving experience is excellent (compared to other EV's) althiough you notice the weight obviously.
On paper the car is supposed to be the same speed as Tesla Y but it feels much faster and "punchier"
Using a Tesla Tap at one location with Tesla charger, and the porsche charger at home. No problems with either.
Car has sat idle, unplugged, for two weeks with negligible power drain.
Comfortable driving position for 6'2" driver.
Lowered back seats are fully flat and storage is excellent.
Home charging and Fast charging stations work as advertised.

I would note the following:
  • Lack of WIFI connection (unlike Tesla) makes remote connections impossible in garages without cell reception.
  • Brakes feel a little soft compared to other Porsches.
  • Software is buggy:
    • Car doesn't recognize key profile consistently.
    • Phone connectivity slow occasionally which is hassle if using carplay navigation.
    • Remote access not great - long delays to connect if works at all.
  • Lack of accessory power anywhere limits use of radar detectors, dash cams etc.
  • Lack of storage in centre console is problem.
  • Phone storage in arm rest is really awkward.
  • Phone charger gets very hot and disconnects under throttle sometimes as phone slides back.
  • Center screen is mostly redundant and track pad is useless. Rather have storage.
  • Would be better if headsup had Carplay ability (especially for navigation)
  • Could use more programmable buttons.
    • Currently have one for music advance and one for garage door.
    • Would be great to have parking cameras on a button as well.
Finally, put in Tuxmat but note that the Frunk unit doesnt fit well and the back seat mats cover the floor vents so not great. Front seats and storage mats are excellent.
Sponsored

SKT-RKT

First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335xdrive, Taycan 4S Cross-Turismo
Country flag
Great post. Echos many of my sentiments in my first winter with my CT4S.
Incredible driving experience so far. Beautiful and practical. traction control can be partially disabled by pressing the PSM button once (not sure if it works without Sport Crono though).
I have to admit that seeing the range estimator dive while driving in colder weather (below zero) is concerning. No long trips requiring charging in the wild so far. Have one coming up soon. Cant wait. Apparently on Porsche's website there's a range estimator for given temperatures but I can't seem to find it.
I've had the same issues with keyfob occasionally not recognized,.even while driving!
My biggest complaint however is the poorly designed rear camera cleaner. The jet just shoots across the image without really hitting the lense. Works so well on my Highlander though.
Got the WeatherTech mats and rear trunk mat fits well. Added the little rollout bumper cover for xtra protection.
Cheers

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Great write-up that matches my prior Taycan experiences (this is my third; first CT though). I'm in Ohio on Lake Erie so we get lake effect snow etc. I'm on the edge of the snow belt, so luckily my commute takes me out of the belt into better areas but I still get to enjoy winter, if you're into that sort of thing LOL

(Sidebar: I think the 4S CT is the sweet spot -- I have a base 4 but previously had a sedan 4S and Turbo; and while I love the wagon's function, I do miss the extra power)

A few thoughts to add to yours:
  • Agree re: Brakes - I've always chalked that up to being blended frinction/regen, but even under full force, the Taycan brakes have lacked the confidence I want even in the Turbo. I think it's also the weight; this beast is heavy!
  • RE: Charge - I've got a nice ProClip USA bracket on my center console that I then routed the wire to the arm cubby. I have a MagSafe charger for my iPhone (other magnetic non Apple specific options exist). I prefer this for easier phone access getting in/out of the car, because tossing phone in center cubby is a PITA!
  • RE: Cameras - You motioned a programmable button desire for the parking cameras. Don't all Taycans have a camera button in the bottom left corner of the HVAC/lower screen? I did play around with having my instrument cluster diamond bring that up, but figured it was just as easy to do that from the lower screen when I need/want.
  • RE: Floor Mats - Though they are a bit barebones and basic, the OE Porsche mats (rubber) were reasonable priced from SunCoast, and do decent job covering. They aren't as aggressive as 3rd party mats, but I appreciated their perfect fit, without covering anything etc.
Happy motoring!
Sponsored