knf73

First Name
Kel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Noticed a couple of weeks ago that lens on my front parking/surround camera is cracked. It happened during some unusually cold weather and there's no other damage at all to the front of the vehicle. I'd normally assume I'd been very unlucky with a stone chip, but I'm certain that it happened overnight as the camera always triggers when I pull into my (fairly tight) driveway entrance and it's very noticeable on the screen - I noticed it as I was leaving the drive in the morning. Possibly caused by some moisture having got into the lens assembly and freezing?

Now I'm pretty sure that Porsche are going to say it's a stone chip (and I can't really blame them, I've no hard evidence to the contrary!) which is going to get expensive to put right as they won't cover under warranty. The camera still works but the lens is badly cracked, and I suspect it will be a camera replacement.

Anyone else got any experience with this? I've read on other forums (for other Porsche models) that it isn't as simple as just a straight swap of the camera (needs alignment), but I can get the part to try if I can get the camera out easily without disassembling the entire front bumper (which I'm not going to do!).

Any suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
can you post a photo of what the view looks like on the inside screen through the cracked lens?

OP
OP

knf73

First Name
Kel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Sure, here's a view on the screen and a picture of the lens. It's pretty well cracked, but I just can't see how it happened on my driveway overnight.

Just wondering if there's any way to change just the domed lens rather than the whole camera (that clearly still works) but I suspect it's all one unit.

Porsche Taycan Front surround view camera cracked IMG_5767

Porsche Taycan Front surround view camera cracked IMG_5769

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I am not an expert but it does look like there is a centre impact point with cracks spreading out laterally. I bet they want to do a 4 wheel alignment at £1600 as part of this

OP
OP

knf73

First Name
Kel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
That's what I fear from reading other forums, though I'm not quite sure why it would be necessary for a straightforward camera replacement. If that's the case it'll run into 2k plus, and if it looks like a stone chip then I'd be better off trying claiming on insurance.

Was just hoping someone on here had some experience of this on a Taycan.
Sponsored