evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
My 2 Yr Old Taycan Turbo S died in the driveway (after simply backing it out of the garage) with the dreaded "Electrical System Error" (Red).

The car would not move (although the Console, Nav, etc appeared fully functional). Seems other folks have had the car towed, but I don't look kindly to some guy dragging my car up on a flatbed. I did find a report that sometimes the issue will "go away" so I waited, and waited, and finally got the car back into the garage. Porsche wanted me to simply have the car towed to them, but I said I would rather risk it and drive it (if possible) - as it could always get towed if that didn't work out. I successfully drove the car to them where they have now had it for a little over a week.

They pulled the diagnostic codes, and in conference with technicians in Germany, It has just been determined that it needs a whole new main battery pack (which must be shipped in from Germany). Based on folks who have reported similar issues, I'm expecting the car to be in the shop for 30 days or more. :-( The dealership gave me a Cayenne Loaner so they are covering the outage to the best of their ability...

I'm on my 5th EV and never had ***ANY*** battery issues with my Tesla (MX), BMW's (i8, IXM60), or Chevy (Volt). We all know about the issues with the 12V battery (that required replacement), but it also appears the main battery (and/or onboard charger) may have its own problems: https://www.teslarati.com/porsche-whistleblower-taycan-battery-charger-fires-coverup/
Sponsored

Mbgt72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Wow. Glad it's covered and they're not giving you the run around, but sorry for the troubles. Please keep us posted and share any info you find out as I'm sure they want to keep matters such as these as quiet as possible. But it could be of big help to other owners in the future.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Sorry to hear that, though glad that Porsche is working to make it right for you. We all want a problem free experience, but, I think the response to issues is just as important. It's good to hear Porsche was quick to identify the problem and coordinate sending a battery pack replacement.

Reactions: B61

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Your battery issue is unfortunate, for sure, but if anything, your post proves how silly the article you’re linking is.

If it was as widespread as claimed, we’d be hearing about it, like your post here.

But we don’t.

Your post is all by itself. It has no friends. There are no large scale battery failures.

Good luck with the repair. Hopefully back on the road soon and good you at least got a loaner. 👍

Last edited:

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Considering there are close to 20,000 units on the road in the US, one would think that there would be a couple of spare battery packs somewhere in the US to cover a situation like this.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
his referencing that BS article makes me very suspicious of his claims. if true, it is good to see that porsche is on top of things but the projected down time is disappointing

Dcgator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
I had a similar problem in October with my 2020 TT. it was determined that a few battery cells were bad. They had to replace the battery “pack” which contained the multiple bad cells. I was without my car for five weeks. They gave me a Cayenne to drive, but still quite frustrating. It was fear of this type of problem that led me to lease versus purchase. Starting to feel more comfortable with my decision.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry to hear, but posting a link to that scam article?

Every EV manufacturer has battery failures, including Tesla. You just happened to hit the parts failure lottery.
Your battery issue is unfortunate, for sure, but if anything, your post proves how silly the article you’re linking is.

If it was as widespread as claimed, we’d be hearing about it, like your post here.

But we don’t.

But your post is all by itself. It has no friends. There are no large scale battery failures.

Good luck with the repair. Hopefully back on the road soon and good you at least got a loaner.
his referencing that BS article makes me very suspicious of his claims. if true, it is good to see that porsche is on top of things but the projected down time is disappointing

I would take anything I read on the Internet with a bit of skepticism, but one of the reasons I don't visit this forum very often anymore is because of all the incessant "Tesla Hate" and all the unending "My car manufacturer is the greatest so I refuse to accept any other possibilities" (found on most any car forum anymore). It used to be one could scan the forums just to gather some new insight but now, like everywhere on the internet, its just more BS and Tribal warfare.

One unfortunate side effect of all this BS and Warfare is that many folks don't want to come and waste their time anymore on the forums. When that happens, all you get is the warfare and not much of the actual reports, insight, and other "good stuff". So no, you're not likely to hear all of the factual reports from folks if the only folks left on the forum are in full denial of any possible problems... "It can't be a problem cause no one (still here) is reporting it..."

The only reason I came back to post the above info is as it DOES appear to be a REAL problem with our vehicle and maybe someone would like to be aware of my experience (and Porsche's solution). There ARE other postings about this specific issue (and some are here in this very forum):

https://www.aboutautomobile.com/Consumer-Complaint/2021/Porsche/Taycan/Electrical-Propulsion-System

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/is-this-what-i-think-it-is-electrical-system-error.7163/

https://www.[Banned Site].com/threads/electrical-system-fault.3030/

https://lemberglaw.com/2021-porsche-taycan-problems-complaints-lemon/

If you are unwilling to accept any of this info then so be it... However, I am providing MY info as a public service to anyone who may find it of value (as I had with other postings).

(...and for those folks who insist on NOT accepting any kind of criticism on this forum's brand, it was also my vehicle that I had to drive to/from Milwaukee/Indianapolis in the heat of summer without any A/C because my system was apparently NEVER properly charged at the factory. ...Also NEVER had THAT problem on any of my 5 EV's (BMW i8 and IXM60, Tesla MX, and Chevy Volt... ...or ***ANY*** other car (EV or otherwise) that I have ever owned)

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Overreact much?

Nobody here has a problem with criticism of the car. But there’s a big difference between a valid criticism and taking a small amount of anecdotal information and jumping to wild conclusions.

Posting a link to that old, entirely unsubstantiated scam article and the projecting onto it would fall in the latter category.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Overreact much?

Nobody here has a problem with criticism of the car. But there’s a big difference between a valid criticism and taking a small amount of anecdotal information and jumping to wild conclusions.

Posting a link to that old, entirely unsubstantiated scam article and the projecting onto it would fall in the latter category.
If "by jumping to wild conclusions" you mean "my car is at the dealership for exactly this issue and will be off the road for likely more than 30 days similar to what other folks have also documented in the other links I have posted" - then I guess I am guilty as charged...

...anyway, take my experience for whatever you think its worth. I'll be back again if I have anything new to report.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
@evanevery the thing is, there have been numerous issues that were somewhat widespread and everyone found out though the forum. So the idea that the main battery being bad in most Taycans not being part of that widespread reporting is laughable.

I’m glad you posted about your issue so we have that data point. Thank you for sharing. But as of now, that’s all it is.

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If "by jumping to wild conclusions" you mean "my car is at the dealership for exactly this issue and will be off the road for likely more than 30 days similar to what other folks have also documented in the other links I have posted" - then I guess I am guilty as charged...

...anyway, take my experience for whatever you think its worth. I'll be back again if I have anything new to report.
No, jumping to conclusions is linking to fake news articles and extrapolating your situation across the entire universe of Taycans. There is no evidence whatsoever that Porsche is experiencing a higher than expected failure rate with their battery packs, nor any higher than Tesla did in their early production days. So, please, spare if we don’t all rush to the ledge along with you.

A handful of 718 GT4 motors have grenaded, yet the overwhelming majority are perfectly fine. Should all GT4 owners be freaking out about it? And if you think 30 days is bad, some of those owners had to wait six months for a new engine. Failures happen. It’s the nature of manufacturing.

It sucks that you drew the short straw, but it’s nothing more than that.
Sponsored