f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
That could be the case but then isn’t a Turbo also a marketing concoction of the same design to get people to pay more for a slight bump in performance over the GTS? 😂
Every step up in a model is a way to get you to spend more. Right?
I looked at the performance per money increments between models using the steady power figures (launch power is meaningless IMO) and the GTS has the smallest increment in power for the largest increment in price of the range.
It does get a lot of model specific cosmetic extras though.

Here in the UK the best value power increment for me was CT4S above CT4, quite a bit more power for not that much extra list price.

The Turbo was quite a big power increment over 4S but a lot more expensive.
Sponsored

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I looked at the performance per money increments between models using the steady power figures (launch power is meaningless IMO) and the GTS has the smallest increment in power for the largest increment in price of the range.
It does get a lot of model specific cosmetic extras though.

Here in the UK the best value power increment for me was CT4S above CT4, quite a bit more power for not that much extra list price.

The Turbo was quite a big power increment over 4S but a lot more expensive.
It's often said (usually by journalists) that the GTS is the sweet spot of each Porsche model's range, but in my opinion, for the Taycan, the 4S is more deserving of the sweet-spot label. Looking through the standard specs for each Taycan variant and the catalogue of available options, it's hard not to get the impression that every Taycan is a mix-and-match bag of bits built from various starting bundles designed to support the range's price point structure, more so than is the case for other models. I'm no expert, but I think that some ICE GTS variants have a unique engine, with its own power and sound characteristics. Throughout the Taycan range, much of the uniqueness/exclusivity comes from the variant badging plus in some cases some arbitrarily unique cosmetic finishes. Outright power aside, I don't think that different output electric motors contribute to the personality/feel of different Taycan variants.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's often said (usually by journalists) that the GTS is the sweet spot of each Porsche model's range,
Which means Porsche marketing works. IMO the GTS is typically the most bloated spot of a given model range. A good buy for someone who was gonna spec a bloated S anyway, but overpriced otherwise. That said, it is the most brilliant marketing scheme that Porsche has ever pulled off IMO.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Which means Porsche marketing works. IMO the GTS is typically the most bloated spot of a given model range. A good buy for someone who was gonna spec a bloated S anyway, but overpriced otherwise. That said, it is the most brilliant marketing scheme that Porsche has ever pulled off IMO.
When matrix lights became unavailable and the GTS ST was announced I compared aGTS with my CT4S spec. It ended up about £4k more expensive for a tiny power increment but with matrix lights. I could't keep the GTS interior, which I liked because massage ventilated seats are only available 14-way leather, and are a very popular addition even more than expected. It also cluldn't have the compass on the dash wart and firmer suspension is the last thing I need around here particularly since the setup is adjustable anyway.
I didn't notice at the time but I also don't like the way the air-curtain entry under the lights just further forward.
So CT4S remained the sweet spot for me even after the GTS came out

OP
OP
bluesky

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
I was pretty sure the active ARB and rear wheel steering hardware would be the same. It makes no sense for them to be differentsince they are software controlled. Both of these are options though, not standard fitment (or at least not here in the UK).
I believe when I checked both fixed and active sways bars, that though different parts for fixed/active, those are the same GTS or not.

Actually Porsche did enter the future. The Taycan actually implements software-defined trim levels in terms of the driving machine.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
trim levels
Do you mean suspension settings?
That is what I meant when I wrote software controlled.

In the UK trim levels would mean upholstery etc., not yet software adjustable ;)

OP
OP
bluesky

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
Maybe "trim level" is wrong. I mean model variant: 4/4s/GTS/Turbo/TurboS. Thought that "trim level" mean that.

What I meant is that ignoring all those interior/exterior optioning differences, using the same hardware (motors, suspension), the software defines the behavior and driving characteristics.

Ha-ha BMW had some hideous concept of a flexible LCD-like covered car exterior that can be user customized. thus software defined exterior design. Sort of like the new Samsung folding phones. Not ready for production, since it's just as fragile as most phones and LCD monitors to cracking and subsequent ugliness.

MHC

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Turbo, 2022 BMW IX,
Country flag
GTS spec works well for those who want a lot of options that are standard on the GTS and optional on the 4S . If you want leather, alacantra, sport Crono , 18 way sport seats, 21 inch wheels , etc.. these and more are standard on the GTS and optional on the 4S . That’s why many reviewers call it the sweet spot in the lineup. Virtually all the standard goodies of the higher end turbo model at a better price point. The reason they introduce the GTS two years after the turbo is because it would canabilize turbo sales if it was available at launch of new models.
Sponsored