GTS tuned suspension?

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
Is there any actual evidence that the GTS has a “sportier” better handling suspension than Turbo models? Article reviews often mention this sound bite, and it seems to all stem from very brief and very vague press release about the GTS model launch on the Porsche website. “Specially adapted” is a phrase that appears both in terms of the motor output (we know it’s detuned from the Turbo) and appears again as well in regards to the suspension (“to the benefit of lateral dynamics”). Also the RAS is mentioned to be “sportier”, and the electric sound is “richer” (which is silly).

https://media.porsche.com/mediakit/taycan-gts/en/the-new-taycan-gts/taycan-gts

Both use the air suspension. Are there any different parts between models? Are we to believe the software parameters are different, and in fact the lesser costing GTS is of superior performance in terms of handling? I am not familiar with Porsches, but that seems to go against how I perceive they insist on tiering things, which is that you never get something better without paying more. It’s a nice break if it’s true though. Certainly it’s a nice package, but does it handle better than a Turbo on the same tires on the same course at the same temperature…
Sponsored

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I had read in press releases that the GTS has a 10% higher roll stiffness than the other sedans but later looking up part numbers I believe it actually uses the same anti-roll bars. I suspect any tuning is based on the electronic controls of damping, RAS, and maybe PDCC (if spec'd), etc. There's enough differentiation in the chassis modes that unless you're in Sport+ all the time it's probably not much of a difference. I've been tracking my Cross Turismo (which is supposedly even more softly sprung than the sedan) along with another GTS ST and I don't think the extra body roll and suspension tuning has as large of an effect that anyone without a stopwatch would care.

If you can afford a turbo, I'd go with that though. I was underwhelmed with the pull of the GTS, even compared to my 4.

MHC

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Turbo, 2022 BMW IX,
Country flag
I have owned a 2020 Taycan turbo with 21 inch wheels and now own a 2023 Taycan GTS with 21 inch wheels . I do not notice any difference in the suspension. I believe if the cars are spec’d similarly they will drive the same. Both cars have a comfortable ride that is sporty when you want it to be.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In Porsche parlance, GTS is a marketing concoction designed to get people to buy heavily loaded S models by throwing in an immaterially small performance bump coupled with a lot of Alcantara and copious badging.

Novemberwhisky

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST Crayon.
Country flag
It would seem an odd strategy to produce a ‘better’ handling car than the higher spec/performance turbo and turbo s. I’m sure its a marketing exercise- which i sucked up. Though with PDCC and 21” wheels it handles great. I had a turbo for a couple of days and cant tell the difference.

allroadusa

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ Pure White
Country flag
The GTS recipe from marketing book chapter 101 (works for the whole Linup)
Alcantara on seats
Red stitching
Carmine red paint (for release pictures and Minichamps 1/72 model car)
Sport design facia
Specific black wheels
Sport chrono as standard
Slightly tuned suspension via PASM
20Hp more than the S
Issued two MY after the S to boost sales until the facelift

blame.latitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, GTS ST
Country flag
I have a GTS ST daily and I had a 4S sedan as a loaner while it was in the shop for 2 months. So, I have recent seat time between the two suspension setups. My wife and I both agree that the GTS is firmer. We both prefer the ride of the GTS. In normal mode, there was one area on the highway where we found the normal 4s air suspension a little floaty on a few specific rollers. GTS in normal is more planted. My GTS has the sports chrono as well, and the 4s didnt, so we also have easy access to 'sports plus' on the GTS which is much harder than anything I could get the 4s into. In fact, it takes me right back to the feeling of coilovers. Both cars do not have active roll bars

Are they different part numbers? I doubt it. I think it's all software changes.

I hope this helps a bit. Sorry, no experience with a turbo. Short answer is they do feel different when you get enough time with them to notice.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Is there any actual evidence that the GTS has a “sportier” better handling suspension than Turbo models?
Are we to believe the software parameters are different, and in fact the lesser costing GTS is of superior performance in terms of handling? I am not familiar with Porsches, but that seems to go against how I perceive they insist on tiering things, which is that you never get something better without paying more. It’s a nice break if it’s true though. Certainly it’s a nice package, but does it handle better than a Turbo on the same tires on the same course at the same temperature…
I think it depends on one's definition of "sportier" and "better" handling...I'd imagine that the GTS is set up to feel more lively, particularly at the rear, which many regard as more fun, but that usually means sacrificing lap time. It's the psychology of feeling faster without necessarily being faster, which many of the other GTS attributes also contribute towards. That approach makes some sense for public road use, though ICE power seems a better match than electric motors for such an experience.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
I drove a 4S and GTS before I got my GTS and I could tell the 4S had a softer ride in Normal mode. I too prefer the firmer ride of the GTS in normal modes. Also I believe there is more rear power bias than any other model which I guess you would only notice in a track.

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune blue Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
The GTS has 20 percent stiffer anti-roll bars front and rear, and higher spring rates, while the three-chamber air suspension set-up now uses all three chambers only for Normal mode, with Sport and Sport Plus both reverting to a single chamber, unlike the 4S. The optional PDCC active anti-roll bars and rear-wheel steering have also been configured to suit

jwarner

First Name
jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
macan gts, taycan gts st
Country flag
Is there any actual evidence that the GTS has a “sportier” better handling suspension than Turbo models? Article reviews often mention this sound bite, and it seems to all stem from very brief and very vague press release about the GTS model launch on the Porsche website. “Specially adapted” is a phrase that appears both in terms of the motor output (we know it’s detuned from the Turbo) and appears again as well in regards to the suspension (“to the benefit of lateral dynamics”). Also the RAS is mentioned to be “sportier”, and the electric sound is “richer” (which is silly).

https://media.porsche.com/mediakit/taycan-gts/en/the-new-taycan-gts/taycan-gts

Both use the air suspension. Are there any different parts between models? Are we to believe the software parameters are different, and in fact the lesser costing GTS is of superior performance in terms of handling? I am not familiar with Porsches, but that seems to go against how I perceive they insist on tiering things, which is that you never get something better without paying more. It’s a nice break if it’s true though. Certainly it’s a nice package, but does it handle better than a Turbo on the same tires on the same course at the same temperature…
I don't know your criteria for "actually evidence". Many reviewers on YouTube have given impressions of the differences, with most saying the GTS is better and the "real deal". Some parts are not the same-the GTS has a special steering rack, I believe this is public information, although I have information from within Porsche that says you need to be in Sport or Sport+ to feel the difference. Only a back to back test drive will tell you what you want-and many dealers have enough inventory to arrange it, although you would be driving on brand new tires. It may be possible to do this at PEC Atlanta, but when I was there the GTS and Turbos used different tracks and may have had different options and tires.

OP
OP
bluesky

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and for the Porsche-speak tips.

I checked on a Porsche dealership parts department site, and I checked suspension parts. I did not check exhaustively, but in every case the same part was on both the GTS variants and Turbo variants. And usually a lot more Taycan models. And in the case of the RAS steering rack, the rack is also shared with the Panamera. The air springs were the same, GTS or Turbo, the sway bars were the same, the coil springs and struts, the front and rear steering racks.

I'll attach just two of the many examples since I quickly realized there was no point in keeping record any longer since they were all the same.

It looks like the GTS differs from the Turbo only in software, and that any difference in feeling or handling characteristics is entirely due to software and specific configuration, not due to any suspension hardware.

So just as people speculate that the GTS could have the same power as the Turbo if the configuration parameters could be changed, it may be the case that the Turbo or other models could have the same "suspension" setup as the GTS if they likewise had the configuration.

Porsche Taycan GTS tuned suspension? rack1

Porsche Taycan GTS tuned suspension? sway1

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and for the Porsche-speak tips.

I checked on a Porsche dealership parts department site, and I checked suspension parts. I did not check exhaustively, but in every case the same part was on both the GTS variants and Turbo variants. And usually a lot more Taycan models. And in the case of the RAS steering rack, the rack is also shared with the Panamera. The air springs were the same, GTS or Turbo, the sway bars were the same, the coil springs and struts, the front and rear steering racks.

I'll attach just two of the many examples since I quickly realized there was no point in keeping record any longer since they were all the same.

It looks like the GTS differs from the Turbo only in software, and that any difference in feeling or handling characteristics is entirely due to software and specific configuration, not due to any suspension hardware.

So just as people speculate that the GTS could have the same power as the Turbo if the configuration parameters could be changed, it may be the case that the Turbo or other models could have the same "suspension" setup as the GTS if they likewise had the configuration.

rack1.jpg

sway1.jpg
I was pretty sure the active ARB and rear wheel steering hardware would be the same. It makes no sense for them to be differentsince they are software controlled. Both of these are options though, not standard fitment (or at least not here in the UK).

I thought I read the normal ARBs were stiffer on the GTS.

I actually didn't choose a GTS because a 2200kg car will never be an actual sports car and I was looking for a quiet comfortable car with a good turn of speed if I wanted and the roads around here are dire so firmer suspension is the last thing I need!

I actually find the compromise between good body control and ride on the "Normal" setting on my CT4S to be exceptionally good, a highlight of my car, hats-off Porsche engineers, and indeed I can get a great turn of speed when I want but Sports plus is a comedy setting for our roads! It was brilliant on my quick burst around the Anglesey circuit with its designer though.

Tesla2Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85 + Taycan GTS
Country flag
In Porsche parlance, GTS is a marketing concoction designed to get people to buy heavily loaded S models by throwing in an immaterially small performance bump coupled with a lot of Alcantara and copious badging.
That could be the case but then isn’t a Turbo also a marketing concoction of the same design to get people to pay more for a slight bump in performance over the GTS? 😂
Every step up in a model is a way to get you to spend more. Right?
Sponsored