Hey Porsche: is it possible to dissmount TPMS control unit from one Taycan and install it in another Taycan?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@daveo4EV : maybe you can find an answer for thst question?

My thoughts: it’s hard to believe that TPMSs are dedicated to exactly one car only.
it’s not logical and there’s no reason for such “locking”, right?
afterall, it’s not produced by Porsche and subcontractor/provider don’t have a clue where it will be installed, right?
my guess is also, that TPMS units are probably the same in other models….that’s a goal of standardisation in the industry,etc…
Sponsored

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
It depends on which TPMS components you are talking about. The individual tire sensors can be sourced from Porsche and aftermarket suppliers.

The control module, on the other hand, probably communicates with the entire vehicle BUS architecture and likely has microprocessors that allow for encryption of the communication process.

Unfortunately as we have learned, there are so many aspects of our current economy that rely on global supply chains. The current pandemic has disrupted the process and the results are really coming to light as of lately.

OP
OP
B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
As I wrote: TPMS control unit, not individual sensors on wheels.
I do understand, that such unit communicates with other components... but I'm surprised if such units are made unique for each vehicles. If that's correct, it means that in case of failure, it will take weeks to get a replacement.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@daveo4EV : maybe you can find an answer for thst question?

My thoughts: it’s hard to believe that TPMSs are dedicated to exactly one car only.
it’s not logical and there’s no reason for such “locking”, right?
afterall, it’s not produced by Porsche and subcontractor/provider don’t have a clue where it will be installed, right?
my guess is also, that TPMS units are probably the same in other models….that’s a goal of standardisation in the industry,etc…
I dont’ know specifically - but I do know for my 911’s I’ve run multiple wheel sets - and for each wheel set I’ve purchased a separate set of TPMS sensors for all 4 wheels - after swapping wheels at a track weekend - the vehicle goes into ‘reset’ mode and normally in a few min. I’m back to having tire pressures again via the porsche TPMS system
  • there are sensors/transmitters in each of the wheels - these communicate with a receiver in the vehicle - normally mounted along with the valve stem and are flush on the inside of the wheel’s metal edge if you look at them with the tires off…
  • the reciever seems quite happy to receive data from what ever sensors are currently transmitting
  • I’m unaware of any “paring” process required, other than approving the “reset” via in-vehicle configuration after swapping the wheels/sensors
  • I know this is how it works on my ‘18 911 GT3 - I haven’t had any experience with Taycan but I can’t believe it’s different.
the whole system is relatively “passive” and simply reports data from what ever sensors are produceing data in the local RF frequency range/distance…

Reactions: B61

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I have no reason to believe the “control” unit is specific and could not be moved to another Taycan - other than any normally required procedures to install and “pair” any new electrical component into a modern vehicle - once installed and configured you would probably be asked to reset the TPMS sensors and the system would re-aquire TPMS data via a normal reset process no different that mounting a new set of wheels.

if it didn’t work this way most tire shops and even most porsche service centers would be at a loss as to what to do.

I can’t state this for a fact, but observable data and the common knowledge that these systems are present and behave this way across multiple vendors makes it the most likely outcome.

OP
OP
B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I have no reason to believe the “control” unit is specific and could not be moved to another Taycan - other than any normally required procedures to install and “pair” any new electrical component into a modern vehicle - once installed and configured you would probably be asked to reset the TPMS sensors and the system would re-aquire TPMS data via a normal reset process no different that mounting a new set of wheels.

if it didn’t work this way most tire shops and even most porsche service centers would be at a loss as to what to do.

I can’t state this for a fact, but observable data and the common knowledge that these systems are present and behave this way across multiple vendors makes it the most likely outcome.
Thanks, I thought so.
The reason why I was asking this question is that my dealer said that's not possible to do that.... and I simply couldn't believe him.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Thanks, I thought so.
The reason why I was asking this question is that my dealer said that's not possible to do that.... and I simply couldn't believe him.
My understanding is that it’s not only lack of supply but also US auto regulations at play here.

US destined cars are being held at ports or at the factory until Porsche can unite them with their specced TPMS units. Even if the TPMS control unit were perfectly modular and swappable, while it might be technically possible, the dealer is correct that it is not practically possible. Any alternative unit that Porsche could source is likely subject to the same upstream supply constraints.

I don’t think you are suggesting this, but I’ll share this thought in jest - a BYO TPMS unit solution is not going to fly. The dealer isn’t going to get on the phone and negotiate release of a car from the port because some entrepreneurial buyer salvaged a TPMS unit from a totaled beemer and has it waiting in a ziplock.

OP
OP
B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@satchurator My dealer has two brand new CTs and three fully functionals sedans.
my idea was to use one of those TPMS control units and move it to my CT that arrived to my dealer last Thursday.
i believe that would be a win:win…i‘d get my car, they’d get my money…while they can still show the car without TPMS in the store….

edited; just changed OP to make it more clear.

Last edited:

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
@satchurator My dealer has two brand new CTs and three fully functionals sedans.
my idea was to use one of those TPMS control units and move it to my CT that arrived to my dealer last Thursday.
i believe that would be a win:win…i‘d get my car, they’d get my money…while they can still show the car without TPMS in the store….

edited; just changed OP to make it more clear.
@B61 Ah I see, thanks for clarifying. Okay well for the sake of the thought exercise, here are some other possible reasons:
  • The parts may be essentially identical, but have different part numbers. I had recently been investigating fixtures for the front spoiler and the dealership parts department showed me 3 different diagrams for multiple different assemblies and part numbers for the various model years and model variants. There were subtle but real differences that made interchangeability hard or impossible. Perhaps it is verboten to knowingly install a part that doesn’t match its model/year designation. Could invalidate warranty etc.
  • Say it’s technically, legally and Porsche service-possible, the dealer knows you are committed and so it’s not in their interest to take a sellable car out of commission when they could potentially sell that floor inventory and still close your sale too.
Are you in the US or another country where the car is subject to a stop-sale, or is it legal to use the car without TPMS in your locale?

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
my idea was to use one of those TPMS control units ...
By coincidence, my Taycan was at the PC for a software update with a Piwis laptop. At my request I could view the whole process with explanation from the mechanic. The last step he did was connect to a Porsche server and registered the new software on the server and "unlock"(the word he used) it for my car.

All below is speculation and guessing on my part:

From his explanation during the demonstration, it is my understanding that all intelligent modules in our car have a software certificate to make it possible for a module to communicate encrypted over the internal bus. All modules can only communicate securely with each other if they "know" which certificates are valid. I suspect modules don't communicate directly with each other, but via the connect module, which has all valid certificates for modules present in the car (and can support and validate the secure communication).

I suspect updating the certificate in the connect module after a software update of another module is the unlock part the mechanic was talking about.

There were some communication errors in the cars log, he took a complete state report before start working on the car and one after he was finished and wiped the error codes. Interesting to see that come error codes are transient(happened once) and others were consistent(happening multiple times).

So swapping a module with the same part number from one Taycan to another is most likely possible, but involves binding the module to the car.

OP
OP
B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@benver: I can only agree with you. Of course, modules have to be “introduced“ to each other and that’s the whole point. Of course, one needs to know and perform all necessary setup procedures… either via certificates or part numbers… whatever Is used for binding…
I’d take bet that “my” TPMS control unit will be configured exactly as described…via software settings.

@satchurator : no, I’m not from the States, I‘m in Slovenia (homeland of Luka Doncic :like: )
of course, such “swap” is not in the dealer’s interest, but I can also go away and they’ll have another vehicle in the store. Also, my colour is not quite top-seller….

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Sounds like a risk to move modules from one car to another - what if they suddenly have multiple bricked cars in the store (worst-case scenario)? After reading about all the weird problems and software glitches, I would not touch anything that works :D

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
I think I read that the Monroney gets created at the port in the US. So maybe they cannot create the Monroney with out the TPM (my open campaign says WMGO "Retrofit Tyre (that is how it is spelt on their screen) Pressure Monitoring (TPM) control unit and not TPMS which I believe are the component in each tire).

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Just and update to this thread. My dealer said that the TPM comes "VIN Specific" as they had received a few cars from the port and the TPM's arrived a few days later and they were designated by VIN.

vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag
Just and update to this thread. My dealer said that the TPM comes "VIN Specific" as they had received a few cars from the port and the TPM's arrived a few days later and they were designated by VIN.
Have you received your car yet?
Sponsored

Last edited: