How does launch control help acceleration

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
OK so bear with me on this. I’ve had a glass or two of barolo so might not be thinking straight.

So if LC only lasts 2.5 seconds and peak torque does not change just how is LC beneficial. Surely on launch it takes a second or two to gain enough revs to generate peak power (A bit quicker on the rear axle with the shorter first gear) and by the time you can generate the power the LC window is much reduced. Obviously it works if the reviews are to be believed but can anyone add anything on the real benefits?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Who said torque doesn’t change? I don’t see how it can’t.

The overboost Is almost certainly allowing a higher current which will translate to more torque.

There’s only so many variables to work with here.

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
OK so bear with me on this. I’ve had a glass or two of barolo so might not be thinking straight.

So if LC only lasts 2.5 seconds and peak torque does not change just how is LC beneficial. Surely on launch it takes a second or two to gain enough revs to generate peak power (A bit quicker on the rear axle with the shorter first gear) and by the time you can generate the power the LC window is much reduced. Obviously it works if the reviews are to be believed but can anyone add anything on the real benefits?
Sync motors don’t need to build rpm to get torque. They pull from 0 rpm. This is why diesel trains have electric drive. I think the LC just gets the full current into the motor faster. For example, it dosnt have to wait for the accelerator peddle to move. Even if you stomp on it, that is still 100msec for the peddle to travel the whole way. Then there is probably some electronic accelerator smoothing on top of that. That could be another 200msec of delay to max torque.
With launch control, they can use a code path in the SW that is pumping max torque that dosnt spin the wheels right off the bat when they sense the brake release.
Anyway. That is my educated guess.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the LC just gets the full current into the motor faster.
LC has a claimed increase in HP that this explanation would not account for. Rate of change of current/torque would not change peak HP.

OP
OP
David Bennett

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
Yeah I get that but power is torque * revs and revs take time to build. It’s the power that results in performance. Even if you get instant torque you don’t get instant max power. Maybe Jenson29 is right and torque is boosted. I‘ve not seen any data on that though…..

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
Torque makes acceleration. Power allows higher speed.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Isn't it just simply the case that access (temporarily) to full power of the motors and battery is made available i.e. the flood gates are let wide open?

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
Yeah I get that but power is torque * revs and revs take time to build. It’s the power that results in performance. Even if you get instant torque you don’t get instant max power. Maybe Jenson29 is right and torque is boosted. I‘ve not seen any data on that though…..
I think @Jhenson29 is correct too. I think they can dump more current in for a short amount of time during LC to make more power and torque.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Torque is what controls your acceleration rate at any given time.

And, if torque is boosted and maintained through the constant torque range, then max HP is boosted also.

And, from Taycan 4S specs (as an example), max torque is called out with launch control. I’m not sure why they would do it that way if there was no difference.

Porsche Taycan How does launch control help acceleration 02B232BA-4806-4289-BB6D-75BDAD1FECB4

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Isn't it just simply the case that access (temporarily) to full power of the motors and battery is made available i.e. the flood gates are let wide open?
I don’t think so. OP is asking how it does it without more torque. There’s a callout for a specific max HP increase with overboost, so where does this come from? I’m suggesting an increased current limit, as it is on every electric motor I’ve ever worked with. The only other way I think it could even be done is to increase voltage above base RPM, but A) I don’t know that the batteries could provide that and B) it doesn’t do anything below base speed and C) I’ve never seen any electric motor controlled that way.

Again…only so many variables.

OP
OP
David Bennett

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
I think @Jhenson29 is correct too. I think they can dump more current in for a short amount of time during LC to make more power and torque.
If that is true then the max torque quoted is most likely LC torque. Has anybody seen any non LC torque figures?

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
I think they are shaping the torque curve to fit the traction available for LC. This can easily be done with the kind of motor in the Taycan.