OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I think we need a "I fainted reading this" emoji reaction.
Dang, I forgot to add a warning about needing to keep your hydration and stamina up to get through a long post like this. I think I beat @daveo4EV for the longest single post. :CWL:
Sponsored

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I completely admire your dedication and commitment, and the thorough documentation you painstakingly provided.

I myself would never attempt something like this; doesn't it basically make the car street-illegal in the US? They changed those taillights for a reason, I assume...

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
doesn't it basically make the car street-illegal in the US?
IANAL but AFAIK it does not automatically make the car street illegal. It's not different than replacing any part of the car with non OEM part. If that part not not make the car violate regulations, you're good, even though that particular configuration was not tested as part of the car's homologation. To give a simpler example, imagine changing a stop signal light bulb in you older cars. Say you swapped an old incandescent bulb with a an LED one. As long as the bulb is emitting sufficient light (not too much, not too little) outside of the car (past the lens), the car is still street legal. Note that "outside the car" is an important distinction because even if your light bulb produces identical amount of light but in the wrong place (bulb is different shape), the plastic lens for the lights might not focus on the light source any more, so the end result is that the light looks a lot dimmer on the outside. Other examples could be putting in a 5 point seat belt system, using a non-OEM windshield, adding a roll cage, heck even adding an aftermarket spoiler. Manufacturers do a homologation with a particular set of parts on a car because it's cheaper than testing every single car coming off of a production line.

In this case I doubt the amber lights on the Taycan violate any US rules. Model Y has smaller amber turn signals (also a straight line) and they are legal.

They changed those taillights for a reason, I assume...
Two most common reasons for manufacturers to use red stop/turn signal combo are:
  1. Cost savings, using the same bulb and wiring for both stop and turn signal, or at least saving on the single color plastic lens instead of dual lens in different colors
  2. Esthetics - somehow amber lights on the back fell out of style, and are considered unattractive by manufacturers. Note how most manufacturers don't market with pictures showing amber lights glowing on the back, as well as they try to hide them behind clear lenses so you can't see yellow unless they are on.
I don't know exactly why Porsche did that, I would say reason #2 above is most likely, maybe partially #1 too - only one color of LED to put in the rear light saves on parts management/supply management cost (red LEDs also tend to be cheaper than amber), plus they saved some money on wiring (even 10 cents per in auto manufacturing is a big deal, I work with some and have lost fights over pennies, escalated to high VP level).

PS> Should I ever want to swap it back, it's ~30 minutes of work start-to-finish. Put in original lights (7 screws, 4 connectors, one clipped panel), cut the added wires if needed (would have to check if they would interfere with US lights), recode BCM2, all done, back to US lights.

Last edited:

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Just amazing work @whitex. Just wow! Also, I am once again left wondering what it is I do with all my time...

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
Wow. That is a great write up. While it doesn't appeal to me, I can appreciate the effort you put into doing this. The last time I did soemthing like this was to switch a 2 dr Acura Legends lights to the JDM version. Those lights really made the car pop. This change is more subtle. If I wanted anything from the EU version, it would be the matrix function of the headlights. Beyond that, the EU version doesn't have anything else I'd have use for.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I finished wiring the car over the weekend, and unlike @whitex both of my BCM2 connectors (black connector pin 2 and brown connector pin 7) had wires present. Sure is nice to have a full compliment of amber signals, much better than North American red.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I finished wiring the car over the weekend, and unlike @whitex both of my BCM2 connectors (black connector pin 2 and brown connector pin 7) had wires present. Sure is nice to have a full compliment of amber signals, much better than North American red.
Congrats! I bet it feels great to finally get to the end of your months long retrofit adventure. :like:

Fyi, I never did figure out where that existing wire went. When I disconnected it, no errors or warnings were shown, and all turn signals still worked fine. I left it connected. My best guess is that either it's going nowhere (they reused some harness originally intended for something else that contained that extra wire - my car was build during supply chain shortages), or perhaps it was intended for the custom Porsche bike rack? This reminds me, I need to add a warning for anyone using or planning to use the OEM bike rack or anything else that plugs into the trailer plug possibly counting on North American stop/turn signal combo - warning added to post #1.

Last edited:

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Congrats! I bet it feels great to finally get to the end of your months long retrofit adventure. :like:

Fyi, I never did figure out where that existing wire went. When I disconnected it, no errors or warnings were shown, and all turn signals still worked fine. I left it connected. My best guess is that either it's going nowhere (they reused some harness originally intended for something else that contained that extra wire - my car was build during supply chain shortages), or perhaps it was intended for the custom Porsche bike rack? This reminds me, I need to add a warning for anyone using or planning to use the OEM bike rack - it might need to be converted to Euro lighting too.
It feels great! Thanks for your help during these past few months. I would say it is the second best mod just after inkl beam.
Sponsored