Impressions/thoughts after buying a used 2022 Taycan RWD in the USA (long)

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
OMG The steering wheel is one of the first things I LOVED about the car! And I don't have sport chrono. It's like it was custom made for my stubby shrimpy hands. I didn't even realize that the sport steering wheel has those big thick 10-2 spots like my Honda that just annoy me as I can never find a perfect position that has the right comfort/safe balance for me. The fact that the wheel doesn't feel over-proportioned actually makes a more luxurious impression on me. Like, we don't need to pretend the car is powerful with a bunch of overly big angry looking monster truck parts. Just what is needed to grab the road and go!
Sponsored

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
good grief, you like to moan.
Agreed. And the moaning is compounded by complaining about buying a USED version of the CHEAPEST Taycan available.

I could understand some of these complaints being said in respect to a brand new $200,000 Taycan but a used base model that you had no control over the options or could have fixed/change many of these complaints with options?

Half the complaints the OP made have an upsell or an option available or just don't choose said option in the first place.
option the air suspension, option the GT steering wheel, don't option the 19kw/400v charging & mobile connect, option PSCBs or PCCBs for rotor rust.

Speaking of rust go on the highway during off hours or in an area with low traffic/police and get it up to high speed and (safely) do a couple of stops to 20mph. Ok I realize it's harder with the Taycan due to the initial regen braking so you've got to get up to speed and get deep in the pedal but thankfully unlike ICE you can get up to that speed even in the base rather quickly. If you are complaining about rust on the areas where the brake pads don't sweep then that's just iron rotors and happens to every car. Even the rotor face will rust every time you wash the car. Option the better brakes next time! Porsche developed the PSCB for this very reason.

You paid the lower used car price so you are stuck with those options/specs. Custom order a new one exactly to your liking next time. But on a used car you knew you were locked into those options or would need to change them where available (like your wheels). Every car manufacturer is in the business to make money. The base models always come with things like the thin steering wheel, the crappy stereo, the boring interior, the smallest wheels/tires and brakes, etc. on purpose to get you to tick the options, and Porsche does this more than most. BUT you get a bespoke car to your liking but don't complain about the options when you didn't spec them.

Perhaps the Previous Owner had 100amp service at home and wanted the best charging speed in his garage. Perhaps the PO was thinking there would be a need in the future for 19kw or the same can be said for the 400v DC option. The needs of the PO were probably different than yours or he was a total noob to EVs and listened to the upsell by the sales guy. Both are valid but you made the choice when you bought that used Taycan with those options so don't complain about it as you didn't pay the full MSRP for them in the first place.

Last edited:

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The way driveways join roads here in the US is something that has mystified me since I first moved here. I walk the kids to school every morning and often wait outside with them until they can go in. Every day I see even cars like the Toyota Prius scrape on the road leaving the school's drop-off lane. Maybe this is why SUVs and trucks are so popular! In the UK, I don't remember having this problem, and I drove low sports cars there too.

in the Taycan, I need to approach and leave almost every driveway, even in lifted mode, at an angle and very slowly to avoid scraping (and even then the parking sensors are screaming and flashing red on the camera view). Why they can't just level out the exits (and add drainage pipes if they need the water to flow through), I do not understand. Seems like it is basic road design.

OP
OP
hifi239

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The minimum thing will get you to whatever level you pick as soon it starts, then I don't understand the next part. If I leave it overnight, it will go to 100%, but in seemingly small jumps. I wish I could tell it to just stop at 85%.
Thanks. Agree with all of these comments, except this. I’m talking about DC fast charging. Not home overnight. For DC charging, the car will charge to 100% as fast as it can regardless of profile or timer settings.You have to stop it manually at 85% if you want that limit. For home, I just set general profile to charge to 85% with no associated timers and it will stop at 85 because there are no further instructions to follow.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Yup, been on them about this since I picked the car up two years ago. The current PCM is a lot less buggy (used to be a total mess), but it still mystifies me that it can't remember what I was listening to, even over a short stop. This is basic functionality for media players.
I've come to realize this is most likely a phone/app issue. (The following is based on my scenario - Apple phone/CarPlay.) If the device connects upon starting the car, CarPlay/the phone is given control of the media playback, irrespective of what was the previous source (radio etc.) This is annoying, but okay. However, the playback on the device does not always resume - this is actually the phone's/app's problem, as it was already given playback control. For instance, the phone may kill the app on disconnect, or the app is dumb enough to not realize it should resume on reconnect. YT Music is inconsistent (will resume if re-connected within an hour or so), whereas Amazon Music is rock solid - it will resume playback even after days since the last connection to the car.

The minimum thing will get you to whatever level you pick as soon it starts, then I don't understand the next part. If I leave it overnight, it will go to 100%, but in seemingly small jumps. I wish I could tell it to just stop at 85%.
Um, have you looked into timers? Also, only about 500 threads on this topic around here, but any one of them should work. 😁

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
OMG The steering wheel is one of the first things I LOVED about the car! [...] Just what is needed to grab the road and go!
I'm not sure I get the criticism of the standard steering wheel. I was reflecting upon this during a long trip this past weekend, and it occurred to me that it's perfectly sized (for my eye sight/seat adjustment etc.) to align with the 'blank' areas of the instrument cluster. That is, there is nothing obscured by the wheel - maybe the clock on the right side, but it's in full view of the left eye (so not fully stereoscopic vision, but enough/complete). The GT wheel will definitely - when placed in the same position - create a blind spot and hide some of the information presented in the cluster. In fact, this was quite obvious in the online configurator, and was the reason I didn't include it in my build.

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
I'm not sure I get the criticism of the standard steering wheel. I was reflecting upon this during a long trip this past weekend, and it occurred to me that it's perfectly sized (for my eye sight/seat adjustment etc.) to align with the 'blank' areas of the instrument cluster. That is, there is nothing obscured by the wheel - maybe the clock on the right side, but it's in full view of the left eye (so not fully stereoscopic vision, but enough/complete). The GT wheel will definitely - when placed in the same position - create a blind spot and hide some of the information presented in the cluster. In fact, this was quite obvious in the online configurator, and was the reason I didn't include it in my build.
I've had cars where the buttons on the wheel are like, 1 cm from as far as my short thumb can reach from a driving position, and constantly stretching my hand to meet the button would give me a cramp after a while. Glad it was a lease before I developed carpal tunnel. So I added that to the list of things to check on every future test drive after that car. You live and learn this stuff over time. My tall Dutch husband has to do the leg/head check first, always.

I was so worried about visibility before I test drove this car, and thought that could end up being the deal breaker, and to my absolute delight, I can see as well or even better than in my much larger cars! With the very flexible seating adjustments I can get perfectly eye level 360 with the windows and feel super confident. I also just found out how handy it is to adjust the empty passenger seat from my side so that it blends more with the B-Pillar in my periphery and doesn't obstruct any more of the windows than necessary.

Everyone is different and there have been cars I've had or wished I had that just weren't a good "fit" for one reason or another. Doesn't make it bad or cheap.

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks. Agree with all of these comments, except this. I’m talking about DC fast charging. Not home overnight. For DC charging, the car will charge to 100% as fast as it can regardless of profile or timer settings.You have to stop it manually at 85% if you want that limit. For home, I just set general profile to charge to 85% with no associated timers and it will stop at 85 because there are no further instructions to follow.
Agreed, this is only home charging, but while mine does stop at 85%, it will mysteriously restart again in the middle of the night and take small bursts of charge. The charger has weekday evenings blocked out (peak rate here), but other than that allows charging. The car has only the general profile set, with 85% as the minimum charge, and 9:30pm to 6am as the preferred period. Every time i plug in it will start at 9:30 and charge to 85%, then pause for a few hours, and then it will start and stop multiple times through 6am, but will always be at 100% by the morning.

The old DC charging app did have an option to limit charging session duration, but I don't see that in the new app (and duration isn't really what I'd want anyway).

The whole charging profiles interface needs to be re-engineered. It it overly complex as it is right now. Specifying allowed time ranges for home charging (with a simple override for public AC chargers), and an SoC limit would be more than enough.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Agreed. And the moaning is made compounding by complaining about the a USED version of the CHEAPEST Taycan available.

I could understand some of these complaints being said in respect to a brand new $200,000 Taycan but a used base model that you had no control over the options or could have fixed/change many of these complaints with options?
I don't think it's worth dwelling on the "moaning" aspect. They already explained why they made their post, and that the rest of the thread gave them good perspectives. The post certainly generated some worthwhile discussion.

I do appreciate someone voicing their criticisms, even if I don't agree with all or any of them.

OP
OP
hifi239

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I don't think it's worth dwelling on the "moaning" aspect. They already explained why they made their post, and that the rest of the thread gave them good perspectives. The post certainly generated some worthwhile discussion.

I do appreciate someone voicing their criticisms, even if I don't agree with all or any of them.
Thanks.
I'm growing to like the wheel now, and I did recently notice the intelligent way the wheel and cluster display align for full visibility of the display.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hmm. Either I'm not sitting correctly, or I'm simply too short. It seems like my hands or the wheel are always obstructing something.

Is there a guide of how to set the seat "properly"?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hmm. Either I'm not sitting correctly, or I'm simply too short. It seems like my hands or the wheel are always obstructing something.

Is there a guide of how to set the seat "properly"?
I think something will always be obstructed with so much info over such a large area.
For me it's the RH side of the 3 tubes (lift position etc). But I'm used to it now.

To set seat/steering wheel for proper control in any car, was always as follows:

1. Set your seat so the peddles feel right and visibility is optimised.
2. Sit in your seat with your back firmly against the back rest.
3. Put your arms straight out in front of you.
4. Adjust the wheel so your wrists rest on top of the wheel.
5. Make any minor tweaks to improve controls visibility.
6. Leave it! Don't forever be adjusting (back ache etc) let your body get used to one position.

👍

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I think something will always be obstructed with so much info over such a large area.
For me it's the RH side of the 3 tubes (lift position etc). But I'm used to it now.

To set seat/steering wheel for proper control in any car, was always as follows:

.. and your arm has a slight bend in your elbow.

(But otherwise spot on.)

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag

1. Set your seat so the peddles feel right and visibility is optimised.
2. Sit in your seat with your back firmly against the back rest.
3. Put your arms straight out in front of you.
5. Make any minor tweaks to improve controls visibility.
6. Leave it! Don't forever be adjusting (back ache etc) let your body get used to one position.

👍
to add to this list just a wee bit: 1A. the proper seat position is one that enables the driver to fully floor the brake pedal with a little knee bend/flex still left available, ie. not fully straightened.
Sponsored