smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Folks - I searched and cannot find, even though I seem to recall discussion on this - sorry of this has been answered previously.

With the latest My Porsche App (just updated) - and latest MY23 car software - How do you navigate to a non-Ionity and non-Porsche Centre ultra-rapid charger AND preheat the battery on approach?

Does the software auto-preheat if you import any charger into NAV (how to do that)? Or does it only auto-preheat for Ionity/Porsche approved chargers embedded in the Porsche NAV database?

Step-by-step guidance for a novice please (not got my car yet - just planning trips etc).

I have found advice that it take time to preheat the battery so you can't preheat if driving to a charger only 5 minutes from departure - so that is clear already.

Also, I will mainly charge at home on a 7.2kw AC supply - so it's more the en-route charging that I am interested in - Perhaps for example when it's cold outside and the battery stays at sub-optimal temperature along the route?

Any guidance welcome thanks

Cheers
Sponsored

Last edited:

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
For HV battery preheating, you need to use the built-in PCM navigation. Your destination needs to be far away enough that it will require a charging stop, or you can add a waypoint that itself is a charger. In that scenario, the charger needs to explicitly be a charger POI, i.e. known to the PCM nav as an actual charger.

As you proceed on the trip, the car will preheat based on time/distance to the charger. It probably also takes into account the current battery temp, and the anticipated state of charge for arrival.

You won’t be able to go for a quick test ride and observe the preheating benefit at 85% state of charge.

In summary, use the PCM nav for a legitimate longer trip and let the car figure it out.

Tip: You can put the battery temperature up on the instrument cluster and see it change over time.

Last edited:

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
How do you navigate to a non-Ionity and non-Porsche Centre ultra-rapid charger AND preheat the battery on approach?
I can’t speak for the UK experience, but in the USA, the PCM nav has a dynamically updated list of charging stations, not limited just to the affiliated Electrify America network.

You can either rely upon the route planner to identify L3 charging stations, or you can add a waypoint by searching in the PCM nav for a known charger of interest.

What I’ve done for a couple of frequent longer routes, is to pre-plan with the ABRP and PlugShare apps, identify my preferred charging stations, then look up those exact chargers in the PCM and save them as favorites. That way it’s easy for me to add them as waypoints on my longer trips. It’s important that these entries are definitively charger POIs and not just vanilla addresses. That’s what unlocks the preheat secret sauce.

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
For HV battery preheating, you need to use the built-in PCM navigation. Your destination needs to be far away enough that it will require a charging stop, or you can add a waypoint that itself is a charger. In that scenario, the charger needs to explicitly be a charger POI, i.e. known to the PCM nav as an actual charger.

As you proceed on the trip, the car will preheat based on time/distance to the charger. It probably also takes into account the current battery temp, and the anticipated state of charge for arrival.

You won’t be able to go for a quick test ride and observe the preheating benefit at 85% state of charge.

In summary, use the PCM nav for a legitimate longer trip and let the car figure it out.

Tip: You can put the battery temperature up on the instrument cluster and see it change over time.
Many thanks satch - very helpful
Sponsored