Loaner fees from Porsche Dealer

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Pretty standard practice, same as a rental car. They have always explained the “bring it back full or be charged an exorbitant amount” to refuel whenever I have a loaner.
If you’ve taken a loaner out previously and not filled it up when bringing it back you either got lucky or had really nice dealerships who didn’t mind spending their own money and time to take care of it for the next customer.
It's pretty standard to charge for fuel and I see no problem with it. I don't think I'm entitled to free fuel just because I shelled out six digits for a car. Personally I have a good relationship with my service department, if I bring it back slightly under I tell them, but they don't charge me. I have however also brought it back full even if they gave it to me 3/4 before, so it all washes out in the end. If I ever brought it in empty after taking it out full, I'd probably insist they charge me so that they don't feel bad about bringing it up (though I'd really try to fill it up, but technically it could happen that I just didn't have the time). I also told them if they ever give me an EV loaner, I will charge it to whatever SoC they want at my house for free, minus the few miles to get to the dealer - that's because I'd park it where the Taycan parks and keep it plugged in while at home. So far never got an EV loaner though (they don't have any right now) - maybe once they get a surplus of Macan EV's.
Sponsored

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Agree with whitex.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Yep same. They’re a business and although they make a lot of money out of us, if they gave out free fuel for every car loaner, that would end in potentially £millions across all dealers

parkslopedope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 e-tron GT prestige, 08 911 Carerra S
Country flag
It's pretty standard to charge for fuel and I see no problem with it. I don't think I'm entitled to free fuel just because I shelled out six digits for a car. Personally I have a good relationship with my service department, if I bring it back slightly under I tell them, but they don't charge me. I have however also brought it back full even if they gave it to me 3/4 before, so it all washes out in the end. If I ever brought it in empty after taking it out full, I'd probably insist they charge me so that they don't feel bad about bringing it up (though I'd really try to fill it up, but technically it could happen that I just didn't have the time). I also told them if they ever give me an EV loaner, I will charge it to whatever SoC they want at my house for free, minus the few miles to get to the dealer - that's because I'd park it where the Taycan parks and keep it plugged in while at home. So far never got an EV loaner though (they don't have any right now) - maybe once they get a surplus of Macan EV's.
Not sure why you quoted my post in this reply, you said the exact same thing. I agree it’s standard practice to be charged if you don’t bring the car back full…

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I get rentals all of the time. Just returned one today. And always fill before return. Except for today because I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to open the gas cap. Chrysler Pacifica. Did not open manually and there was no button. I was very frustrated at the gas station.

Anyway, generally always return full. If I don’t, they charge a lot per gallon. I think I saw $16/gal at the rental counter a few days ago.

I would expect the dealer charges a high amount for loaners also.

In any case, I always returned loaners at the level they give them to me. Partially to avoid charges, and partially just as common courtesy.

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
I agree it’s standard practice to be charged if you don’t bring the car back full…
This thread is fascinating to me. I have never been charged by my Porsche dealer for gas on a loaner nor at the Mercedes dealer when my wife gets a loaner. I was going to reply to OP that "yes, you should be annoyed" but apparently, I'm in the minority. I guess I'll consider myself lucky. When I get a Cayenne or Panamara (they usually try to give me a Taycan loaner) I always use a decent amount of gas as just getting to and from the dealer is about 15mi each way. Never charged. Live and learn....
Sponsored