whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Tesla throwing their hat into NACS to J1772 adapters. Given the ones in the opposite direction is ~$50, this will compete not only with expensive TeslaTap, but also the lower cost ones (I bought one for $61 recently, has been working fine at 80A). Tesla has the economies of scale working for it on this one.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I’m scratching my head - my ChargePoint HomeFlex does everything this unit does (except power share) except have a Tesla adapter - but I have a TeslaTap and if needed could get the adapter to go from Tesla to J1772 I guess but don’t Tesla cars come with that by default? So again nothing whatsoever new to me - am I missing something?

I guess if you’re a Tesla owner with another non-Tesla EV it’s a nice setup which comes with an adapter for J1772 - and I’m sure it’s well made etc but so is my ChargePoint that BTW has a much smaller footprint - seems like non-news?

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this is a great choice if you're considering replacing a PMC+/PMCC

supports:
  • adjustable to 48 amps (60 amp breaker)
  • J-1772 compatible
  • NACS compatible
  • Powersharing (multiple units to charge multiple EV's sharing a single breaker)
  • decent foot print
  • competitive pricing
  • clever built in adapter to support both types of north american plugs
  • reliable high quality unit

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla throwing their hat into NACS to J1772 adapters. Given the ones in the opposite direction is ~$50, this will compete not only with expensive TeslaTap, but also the lower cost ones (I bought one for $61 recently, has been working fine at 80A). Tesla has the economies of scale working for it on this one.
this doesn't compete with TeslaTap - the adapter is not portable - it's integrated into the unit and cable...

you will still need to carry a TeslaTap with you for away from home…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m scratching my head - my ChargePoint HomeFlex does everything this unit does (except power share) except have a Tesla adapter - but I have a TeslaTap and if needed could get the adapter to go from Tesla to J1772 I guess but don’t Tesla cars come with that by default? So again nothing whatsoever new to me - am I missing something?

I guess if you’re a Tesla owner with another non-Tesla EV it’s a nice setup which comes with an adapter for J1772 - and I’m sure it’s well made etc but so is my ChargePoint that BTW has a much smaller footprint - seems like non-news?
How much was your ChargePoint HomeFlex + Tesla Tap? This is just a less expensive universal option, especially considering a number of EV's are moving towards using the Tesla connector.

If you already have a solution which works for all your usecases, this, nor any other EVSE, won't do anything for you.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this doesn't compete with TeslaTap - the adapter is not portable - it's integrated into the unit and cable...

you will still need to carry a TeslaTap with you for away from home…
Are you thinking you have to connect through the app to unlock it like a magic doc to release the adapter, and it will then physically prevent you from removing it??? That would be overkill for a home charging solution.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
watched the video - it's a 240V/L2 charger - with a built in J-1772 adapter and Native NACS plug - will charge any north american EV and is $595

probably will be recommended as PMCC/PMC+ replacement (not by Porsche but by myself)…great choice especially if you're planing to have two or more EVSE's in your home.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you thinking you have to connect through the app to unlock it like a magic doc to release the adapter, and it will then physically prevent you from removing it??? That would be overkill for a home charging solution.
watched the video - it's a button release to release the J-1772 adapter, but the unit does need to be powered - no app required…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
watched the video - it's a button release to release the J-1772 adapter, but the unit does need to be powered - no app required…
I'm pretty sure this _COULD_ be used as a TeslaTap - i.e. take it with you on a trip (the J-1772 portion) but then the unit left at home would "lack" the J-1772 adapter for at home use - while you're away - this may be ok if the whole family is with you on the trip - but I also travel alone leaving wife/kids behind (and they me) so taking the adapter with you limits the useful ness of hte unit while someone is traveling…

just easier IMHO to have a Tesla Tap "live" in the car - but this could also work if you dont' care about charging flexibilty while you're away from home (I can see that working if everyone's gone).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
in any case this is now another great non-Porsche EVSE choice along with all the other great choices … vastly better than the PWCC and 1/3rd the cost

I'd be happier if they supported 100/80 amps - but you can't have everything.

but it's a serious consideration as an alternate EVSE at $595 given it's builtin out of the box dual port support w/powersharing.

OP
OP
jvincent

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
in any case this is now another great non-Porsche EVSE choice along with all the other great choices … vastly better than the PWCC and 1/3rd the cost

I'd be happier if they supported 100/80 amps - but you can't have everything.

but it's a serious consideration as an alternate EVSE at $595 given it's builtin out of the box dual port support w/powersharing.
I tend to agree with David on this. Seems well priced and future proofs your home charging requirements. Power sharing between a couple of these and not caring who takes what spot would be nice.

Nothing to get super excited about, but a solid charger offering at a decent price. I almost ordered one, but then I remembered I've been waiting 22 support calls and 6 months for Tesla to fix my Powerwall system.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This could be purely mechanical interlock.
Sponsored