New 2025+ Taycan rear light retrofit onto gen 1 Taycan?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Yeah, for 2gen it is. It’s part of the illuminated light bar option
I fitted the new part and it fits perfectly and everything works well, only the logo does not light up :(:(
It sounds like what you're missing is some wiring (like the the LIN bus connection for animation and possibly to turn on the illuminated Porsche, or the latter could be a new signal which you could just wire into the main tail lights), and BCM2 coding to enable it. I started a thread with some information on this.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/animated-tail-lights-project-opportunity.20342/

Mimmo

First Name
cosimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan 4 s
Country flag
It sounds like what you're missing is some wiring (like the the LIN bus connection for animation and possibly to turn on the illuminated Porsche, or the latter could be a new signal which you could just wire into the main tail lights), and BCM2 coding to enable it. I started a thread with some information on this.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/animated-tail-lights-project-opportunity.20342/
Hey thanks for your comment
This seems very complicated to me since I am only a carpenter by profession ;)
I don't really care about that animation, I just want the porsche logo to turn on together with my lighting
The part cost me so much money then it's a shame that it doesn't work
How long do you work on something like this before it works?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey thanks for your comment
This seems very complicated to me since I am only a carpenter by profession ;)
I don't really care about that animation, I just want the porsche logo to turn on together with my lighting
The part cost me so much money then it's a shame that it doesn't work
How long do you work on something like this before it works?
The time it would take to figure out depends on what information you have access to. The quickest would be someone who has the ability to compare gen1 wiring harness vs. gen2 wiring harness and see what is different.

Given @Jasper4S comment above, that this is bundled together with the animated lights, I would suspect you'd need at least the LIN bused on the center hooked up. There is a small chance that the PORSCHE logo is powered separately via the pin 6 of the 6-pin connector and pin 8 of the 8-pin connector on the center light bar (those are pins which are present, but apparently not doing anything on the gen1 lights), and if that's the case, it could be you could just connect them to the pin 4's (which power the rear center tail lights) so that the PORSCHE logo lights up together with the tail lights. One quick experiment would be to apply 12V between pin 8 and pin 1 of the 8-pin connector, and between pin 6 and pin 1 of the 6-pin connector of the rear center light bar with PORSCHE logo and see if it lights up. Do it at your own risk of course, I would suggest using a power supply where you can set a current limit of say 300mA (for reference, the turn signals on the center light bar draw 250mA).

Mimmo

First Name
cosimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan 4 s
Country flag
The time it would take to figure out depends on what information you have access to. The quickest would be someone who has the ability to compare gen1 wiring harness vs. gen2 wiring harness and see what is different.

Given @Jasper4S comment above, that this is bundled together with the animated lights, I would suspect you'd need at least the LIN bused on the center hooked up. There is a small chance that the PORSCHE logo is powered separately via the pin 6 of the 6-pin connector and pin 8 of the 8-pin connector on the center light bar (those are pins which are present, but apparently not doing anything on the gen1 lights), and if that's the case, it could be you could just connect them to the pin 4's (which power the rear center tail lights) so that the PORSCHE logo lights up together with the tail lights. One quick experiment would be to apply 12V between pin 8 and pin 1 of the 8-pin connector, and between pin 6 and pin 1 of the 6-pin connector of the rear center light bar with PORSCHE logo and see if it lights up. Do it at your own risk of course, I would suggest using a power supply where you can set a current limit of say 300mA (for reference, the turn signals on the center light bar draw 250mA).
I have already done that and I get everything working, but the logo does not light up on any pins🤷‍♂️

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have already done that and I get everything working, but the logo does not light up on any pins🤷‍♂️
So 2025 cars with PORSCHE logo working don't have the LIN bus or any extra pins connected as compared to your car? If in fact so, sounds like you need your BCM2 reprogrammed and/or recoded - it probably sends the command over LIN bus to light up the logo. In the US, the tail light LIN bus is not connected at all on gen1 cars .

Mimmo

First Name
cosimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan 4 s
Country flag
So 2025 cars with PORSCHE logo working don't have the LIN bus or any extra pins connected as compared to your car? If in fact so, sounds like you need your BCM2 reprogrammed and/or recoded - it probably sends the command over LIN bus to light up the logo. In the US, the tail light LIN bus is not connected at all on gen1 cars .
Thanks i will let you know if i solved the problem

Mimmo

First Name
cosimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan 4 s
Country flag
Thanks i will let you know if i solved the problem
I disassembled the new unit and placed it next to the old one The old one has more pins than the new one? I made a video of it and some photos of the plugs on the car
Porsche Taycan New 2025+ Taycan rear light retrofit onto gen 1 Taycan? IMG_3783
Porsche Taycan New 2025+ Taycan rear light retrofit onto gen 1 Taycan? IMG_3782

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I disassembled the new unit and placed it next to the old one The old one has more pins than the new one? I made a video of it and some photos of the plugs on the car
IMG_3783.jpeg
IMG_3782.jpeg

It looks like they eliminated the last pin (6 and 8), which were not used for anything in the old connector either, so no surprise there, but it eliminated my theory that the PORSCHE logo is controlled by a dedicated analog pin. This means that the PORSCHE logo must be controlled with LIN bus (pins #3), which means:
  1. you would need to wire those to whichever pin they are wired to on BCM2 on MY25
  2. Your BCM2 will likely need to be recoded to enable the logo control - this might be tied to animated tail lighting per @Jasper4S comment about logo being the same option as animated lighting
  3. You will probably also need to wire in the PIN3's of the side tail tail lights, or else your animation may not function as intended, but worse, you might be getting warnings in the car about them not being connected once you enable light animation
Sorry I don't have better news. Looks like you're missing 4 wires and a BCM2 recoding - probably the exact same retrofit as it would be for animated lights alone (similar amount of work as the EU Tail Lights Retrofit I did for a US car - just different pins and 2 more wires).

Mimmo

First Name
cosimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan 4 s
Country flag
It looks like they eliminated the last pin (6 and 8), which were not used for anything in the old connector either, so no surprise there, but it eliminated my theory that the PORSCHE logo is controlled by a dedicated analog pin. This means that the PORSCHE logo must be controlled with LIN bus (pins #3), which means:
  1. you would need to wire those to whichever pin they are wired to on BCM2 on MY25
  2. Your BCM2 will likely need to be recoded to enable the logo control - this might be tied to animated tail lighting per @Jasper4S comment about logo being the same option as animated lighting
  3. You will probably also need to wire in the PIN3's of the side tail tail lights, or else your animation may not function as intended, but worse, you might be getting warnings in the car about them not being connected once you enable light animation
Sorry I don't have better news. Looks like you're missing 4 wires and a BCM2 recoding - probably the exact same retrofit as it would be for animated lights alone (similar amount of work as the EU Tail Lights Retrofit I did for a US car - just different pins and 2 more wires).
Hey thanks for your time and effort
Then I think it will stay that way if it is not certain that it will work and I also don't like warnings on my dachboard
Regrettable

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey thanks for your time and effort
Then I think it will stay that way if it is not certain that it will work and I also don't like warnings on my dachboard
Regrettable
Watch for anyone successfully enabling animated rear lights on gen1 Taycans, it will likely be the same work, perhaps with slightly different BCM coding to enable the PORSCHE logo.

Mimmo

First Name
cosimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan 4 s
Country flag
Watch for anyone successfully enabling animated rear lights on gen1 Taycans, it will likely be the same work, perhaps with slightly different BCM coding to enable the PORSCHE logo.
So to get back to installing extra cables, those 4 extra cables should all go to the trunk lid or should the two cables from the side rear lights simply go into the trunk to the BCM.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So to get back to installing extra cables, those 4 extra cables should all go to the trunk lid or should the two cables from the side rear lights simply go into the trunk to the BCM.
The wires from side lights not on the lid can go directly, no need to go to the lid first. It is likely that all 4 will connect to the same LIN bus pin on the BCM2, which means you might be even able to do some fancy wiring and only run a single wire to the lid, then split it there to the two light connectors.

Mimmo

First Name
cosimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan 4 s
Country flag
The wires from side lights not on the lid can go directly, no need to go to the lid first. It is likely that all 4 will connect to the same LIN bus pin on the BCM2, which means you might be even able to do some fancy wiring and only run a single wire to the lid, then split it there to the two light connectors.
Ok now I get it
I'm going to lay those cables. If I find someone who can reprogram and code the BCM2, he won't have to do all that work.
Thank you for your support
Sponsored