whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Thanks, but these are all benefits from the current carplay. Not next gen. So what will next gen add? It just adds support for multiple screens?
Not quite - for example PCM was crashing and hanging for years before WPN8/WPN9 updates recently which claim to have fixed it. Apple CarPlay did not solve that problem. iOS and apps get fixes way quicker.

Apple CarPlay does not let you do things like control charging. Perhaps Apple or some app developer will come up with a much less complex way of setting up charging limits, charging time windows, etc. Maybe they will just copy Tesla interface. Search this forum on how much confusion the current PCM interface creates. Compare that with Tesla interface for example which even my parents in their 70s figured out without reading a manual, so it can be simple. With apps, you can choose an engineering API interface like the PCM, or the user friendly version. You will even be able to write your own app, or someone will provide an app to integrate with your home automation - not possible today with the PCM.

Also, next gen will add better integration with the car, solve things like reliable connectivity, add generic integration so that all apps get retrieve SoC if they want to (today only Apple Maps has access), etc. It will let people choose their experience too, for example, why I cannot lock my Taycan with touch on the handle if I got in the car, manually turned it on with the button, and got out? I can lock it if I get in and it turns itself on, and I get out.

Last but not least it lets Porsche not have to maintain the PCM apps most people don't want to use, they can spend those resources of other software in the Taycan, focus on things they are good at (UX is not Porsche's strength, driving is).
Sponsored

Last edited: