BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
What are the odds that the next generation Apple CarPlay will become available to our cars via a software update?

https://coolhunting.com/tech/apples-next-generation-carplay-shown-with-aston-martin-and-porsche/
Highly doubt it, i highly suspect that the new architecture and the old one is completely different. Plus there is not real benefit for ANYONE. Is there anything you are missing right now. If there is not even a need from customer side. Why would anyone waste money to change the OLD system.
Sponsored

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
*cries in Android*

They are wokring on their own version of this too, a full car UX/UI, hopefully they'd have that option for us Android users. I'm glad to see Porsche embracing this, it's almost like they know they don't hire a lot of talent on the PCM side of things.

pshrosbree

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Cross Turismo 4 (Y1BBD1)
Country flag
Highly doubt it, i highly suspect that the new architecture and the old one is completely different. Plus there is not real benefit for ANYONE. Is there anything you are missing right now. If there is not even a need from customer side. Why would anyone waste money to change the OLD system.
'Need' is far too high a bar for inclusion in a Porsche. The bar should rather be a combination of convenience, usability, consistency, reliability, reduced cognitive load, user experience. While I do not find the UX of CarPlay particular good, it is better than PCM's, but for me the chief issue is consistency. I dislike switching between the two. I would like to be getting into the car, picking up a destination from an email or text, and have it appear in my HUD. I would like my second screen to be at least as useful to my passenger as their phone, and they should be able to select desris rions and create routes for me from messages they receive on their phones.

I am not surprised PCM is not a great UX. Why would it be? Great UX requires enormous investment, time and talent, and Porsche is not big enough to do this itself along side the other work it does. Apple is pretty good at this particular area, so it is smart to leverage all that IP.

I would be a little disturbed if CarPlay requires special hardware to integrate with features that PCM can currently control. It would mean CarPlay would not support virtualization of the hardware, which is a poor technical choice, but may make some sense if Apple is attempting some sort of vendor lock-in, which would be disturbingly on brand for Apple. If so, it would tend to force car producers to choose to support either Android or CarPlay, but not both, which may result in anti-trust issues.

I look forward to having great software integrate all the capabilites in my car in a seamless UX which is consistent with the UX of my phone. I see no good reason this could not be done on my current 2022 hardware.

Last edited:

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2020 Macan, BMW i8, Audi ETron
Country flag
it's a very weird announcement combined with the fact that the latest PCM that was demoed in the Macan EV was Android based, so how is it gonna work? is apple going to allow the OS platform for full CarPlay to be Android, kinda unbelievable.

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
If it’s a free update, then why not?
If you prefer the PCM then don’t use the new AP screens.

I would love Apple navigation shown in both the HUD & the instrument binnacle. Anything else would be a bonus for me.

As for needing new hardware to control the heater controls, you can already do that with the new Porsche widget, within CarPlay, so I don’t know if you really would?

Anything is possible.

Skaffen

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar iPace
Country flag
it's a very weird announcement combined with the fact that the latest PCM that was demoed in the Macan EV was Android based, so how is it gonna work? is apple going to allow the OS platform for full CarPlay to be Android, kinda unbelievable.
I've not really looked into the new PCM but if they're building it on Android that'll be Android Automotive - which is basically an optimised OS for vehicles and runs on the cars hardware - Android Auto (annoyingly a similar name!) and CarPlay (the current version at least) both mainly use the phone's hardware to provide the screens/app support. Cars with the system built on Android Auto can happily support CarPlay or Android Auto (Polestars do) but may not support either (like Rivian). Porsche can easily add CarPlay support if they're building on Android Automotive.

That's likely to be the main issue with supporting the older PCM really. Apple won't restrict it (there's no benefit to them to do so) but Porsche will have to write the software to support both the new PCM and the old. If they are updating the PCM in the new Taycan to be Android Automotive based then I could see that blocking the new CarPlay on older models as it would effectively double their workload (ie. there'll be little shared code between their current PCM and the new one).

The only other thing that could really stop it is lack of hardware support. I can't see Apple restricting it for any commercial reasons (like I said - I can't see the benefit to them when it helps them the more cars that use CarPlay) but Apple are big on UX so the only other blocker I could see is if some of the hardware/screens aren't up to an approved spec for the new CarPlay (ie. they might need higher resolutions, or faster touchscreen response times - the current CarPlay specs do touch on them).

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
I'd be more interested in an update that would consistently connect to the driver's phone no later than before they leave their subdivision. It's a CF every time my wife and I are in the car at the same time, and it isn't uncommon for the Taycan to take a minute or two to connect to my phone when it's the only one in the car.
Amen to that!

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
For what it's worth, my iPhone 15 connects to the Taycan almost immediately after starting the car. Even with my wife and I in the car with our phones at the same time it's just as fast. Sometimes we need to switch which phone is connected but that is just a click away on the PCM. All in all, I think the newer versions of IOS have made the connection faster and more stable. It definitely wasn't anything that Porsche did (no updates to my PCM since I got the car a year ago).
Agree. Recently got a 15 as well and it’s MUCH better than my previous IPhone…….. but has occasionally struggled to connect and a few times doesn’t connect all.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
My wireless CarPlay is so unstable it's almost unusable. It was stable once I installed the Porsche App version 9.1.0 but after I upgraded my iOS to 17.2, the instability came back ...
I recently updated to 17.2. Knock on wood, the phone still connects in under 10 seconds after getting in the car and starting the car. It’s only been a few days, but one thing I noticed that CarPlay doesn’t automatically shows up on the screen like it did before, but the green icon still shows up on the lower screen which brings up Carplay when pressed.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
What are the odds that the next generation Apple CarPlay will become available to our cars via a software update? Next to nil. We’ll be able to rent it at a price of course. £$¥€

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My personal goal is to see auto manufacturers partner with Apple and let them integrate deeply into the car controls and displays. I find that I use my iPhone all the time while driving (mostly Maps and Messages, but some phone calls too. By having my iPhone connected, life is just a lot easier.

A bit of a view to this future hit me yesterday. My son got a really good year-end deal on a Mazda CX-90 PHEV. Best integration feature -- While navigating with Apple Maps, map guidance appears in the Heads-Up Display.

Oh, and his iPhone syncs wirelessly and instantly, and he can charge the phone on a convenient pad at the front of the center console. I mention this because while syncing is getting faster for me, it sometimes fails, and of course I can't use the inconvenient charging pad in the Taycan since it overheats the phone.

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
My personal goal is to see auto manufacturers partner with Apple and let them integrate deeply into the car controls and displays. I find that I use my iPhone all the time while driving (mostly Maps and Messages, but some phone calls too. By having my iPhone connected, life is just a lot easier.

A bit of a view to this future hit me yesterday. My son got a really good year-end deal on a Mazda CX-90 PHEV. Best integration feature -- While navigating with Apple Maps, map guidance appears in the Heads-Up Display.

Oh, and his iPhone syncs wirelessly and instantly, and he can charge the phone on a convenient pad at the front of the center console. I mention this because while syncing is getting faster for me, it sometimes fails, and of course I can't use the inconvenient charging pad in the Taycan since it overheats the phone.
Agreed. All the other climate and ambient lighting functions they implemented via CarPlay recently is useless when they can’t even put the CarPlay map in the driver display, let alone the HUD.

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Honest question, what will be the benefit of this? I actually like the look and feel of PCM over the (for me) childish and informal interface of carplay. It can’t be just the interface right? What will it add that is is currently not possible with PCM besides navigation integration in the HUD.
I'm with you on this, though I fear we are in the minority. The car play interface does seem toy-like to me, and worse the connectivity with the car for things like state of charge is unreliable - that could be on Porsche, but my experience with CP's new EV-aware navigation was not great because of the loss of battery information on almost every trip.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Honest question, what will be the benefit of this? I actually like the look and feel of PCM over the (for me) childish and informal interface of carplay. It can’t be just the interface right? What will it add that is is currently not possible with PCM besides navigation integration in the HUD.
Some examples that come to mind:
  1. Ability to run an app of your choice for navigation. For example, PCM does not show information available on Waze, such as speed traps, road hazards. I keep it on even without destination to see traffic and hazards. So far besides the speed traps, it quite likely helped me avoid hitting a dead deer on a highway at night. I heard the hazard reported warning, so started paying more attention, it was just over the hill so I had little warning. I wasn't even expecting such a large animal in my lane, must have been a recent kill. I hope I would have noticed it if I wasn't warned, but the warning definitely helped.
  2. Ability to start navigation on your phone before you get to the car. Allows you to check traffic ahead, see the route, adjust the route if necessary, etc. I know the Porsche app is supposed to do some of that, but it's not very well integrated and, most importantly it has to work at the instant you want to navigate, which is not always the case (e.g. app says car is in privacy mode, when it is not, or it cannot connect to the car, etc).
  3. Backup nav app. A couple of days into my Taycan ownership I tried navigating 3,000 mile long trip with the PCM, I entered the destination, it never finished, just kept on "thinking". I entered the trip into ABRP on my phone and it worked just fine. Why did PCM not route, I don't know, maybe Porsche server was down, maybe connectivity was flaky, maybe 3,000 miles is too much for it, I don' t know. Also, apps such as Google maps can route offline (you can pre-download maps ahead of time), PCM does not seem to have this mode, it keeps downloading tiles (and popping up annoying messages about it) throughout a trip.
  4. Updates with latest tech - most people switch phones much more often than cars. Every 2-4 years I get a new phone which has new features, works faster, etc. Unlikely I will be switching out for a new PCM to get a speed boost for the apps (it's already is annoying slow sometimes as far as responsiveness, especially when using an app you haven't used in a while, like climate screens).
  5. Bug fixes - phones and apps get updates a lot more often than Porsche spits out OTAs (and then however many months for them to get applied - for example I got an email about pending OTA, 2 months later still nothing, then I took it in for service so I assume they applied it offline). When PCM used to crash and hang, it took months to get a fix for that.
  6. Portability of experience. I like the fact that when I rent cars on trips I can use the same nav app, all my settings are already there, I don't need to transfer my contacts to the car, etc, etc.
  7. Ability to use internet calls in the car (e.g MsTeams). Yea, it kind of works via bluetooth, but not great integration with every app.
  8. Innovation. Other apps will come once Apple Carplay is more integrated. There is no way Porsche can keep up with the number of third party developers who come up with useful apps. Tesla is way better than Porsche at software, yet it took them 7-8 years before they finally had a way to add a waypoint to your trip, 11 years before they finally added an option to show traffic cameras, still don't show speed traps or road hazards. PCM is ok at estimating SoC at destination as long as you are not driving across varying weather, but even then ABRP is better at it. When traveling across warm and cold states on the same trip, PCM was off as much as 30% vs. ABRP was within 5% (surprising given it does not have a real time status from the car like the PCM does - it relied purely on SoC at the start, map & traffic & weather data, and my planned offset from speed limit). Some day PCM might get an update which will make it better, I couldn't postpone my trip home however many years it will take them to do it. ;)

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
Some examples that come to mind:
  1. Ability to run an app of your choice for navigation. For example, PCM does not show information available on Waze, such as speed traps, road hazards. I keep it on even without destination to see traffic and hazards. So far besides the speed traps, it quite likely helped me avoid hitting a dead deer on a highway at night. I heard the hazard reported warning, so started paying more attention, it was just over the hill so I had little warning. I wasn't even expecting such a large animal in my lane, must have been a recent kill. I hope I would have noticed it if I wasn't warned, but the warning definitely helped.
  2. Ability to start navigation on your phone before you get to the car. Allows you to check traffic ahead, see the route, adjust the route if necessary, etc. I know the Porsche app is supposed to do some of that, but it's not very well integrated and, most importantly it has to work at the instant you want to navigate, which is not always the case (e.g. app says car is in privacy mode, when it is not, or it cannot connect to the car, etc).
  3. Backup nav app. A couple of days into my Taycan ownership I tried navigating 3,000 mile long trip with the PCM, I entered the destination, it never finished, just kept on "thinking". I entered the trip into ABRP on my phone and it worked just fine. Why did PCM not route, I don't know, maybe Porsche server was down, maybe connectivity was flaky, maybe 3,000 miles is too much for it, I don' t know. Also, apps such as Google maps can route offline (you can pre-download maps ahead of time), PCM does not seem to have this mode, it keeps downloading tiles (and popping up annoying messages about it) throughout a trip.
  4. Updates with latest tech - most people switch phones much more often than cars. Every 2-4 years I get a new phone which has new features, works faster, etc. Unlikely I will be switching out for a new PCM to get a speed boost for the apps (it's already is annoying slow sometimes as far as responsiveness, especially when using an app you haven't used in a while, like climate screens).
  5. Bug fixes - phones and apps get updates a lot more often than Porsche spits out OTAs (and then however many months for them to get applied - for example I got an email about pending OTA, 2 months later still nothing, then I took it in for service so I assume they applied it offline). When PCM used to crash and hang, it took months to get a fix for that.
  6. Portability of experience. I like the fact that when I rent cars on trips I can use the same nav app, all my settings are already there, I don't need to transfer my contacts to the car, etc, etc.
  7. Ability to use internet calls in the car (e.g MsTeams). Yea, it kind of works via bluetooth, but not great integration with every app.
  8. Innovation. Other apps will come once Apple Carplay is more integrated. There is no way Porsche can keep up with the number of third party developers who come up with useful apps. Tesla is way better than Porsche at software, yet it took them 7-8 years before they finally had a way to add a waypoint to your trip, 11 years before they finally added an option to show traffic cameras, still don't show speed traps or road hazards. PCM is ok at estimating SoC at destination as long as you are not driving across varying weather, but even then ABRP is better at it. When traveling across warm and cold states on the same trip, PCM was off as much as 30% vs. ABRP was within 5% (surprising given it does not have a real time status from the car like the PCM does - it relied purely on SoC at the start, map & traffic & weather data, and my planned offset from speed limit). Some day PCM might get an update which will make it better, I couldn't postpone my trip home however many years it will take them to do it. ;)
Thanks, but these are all benefits from the current carplay. Not next gen. So what will next gen add? It just adds support for multiple screens?
Sponsored