Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
My car is in to have the heater sorted as well. So received the Health Check; the tyres are down to the cords, on the inside, but still within legal limit across the tyre. This does not seem right to me and did not get a convincing response why. Worst thing is it is dangerous, I check the tyres regularly i.e. running your fingers across the three tread wear indicators, which you can see from the pic are OK (but close to needing a replacement). The tryes have done over 30k so happy with them. Need to push a little harder with the dealer to find a an answer, to ensure that the next set don't go the same way.
1705572009832.png
This has been a very common issue on here. There are other threads about it.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-problem-potential-catastrophic-tire-failure.16788/

My rears tyres also seemed ok treadwear, but at service the inside wall was found to be shot.

Michelin PS4 at 18000 miles.

No explanation from dealer and the only thing I can think to do differently is to change the chassis settings this time round.

I used to have it in 'sport' permanently, but changed to 'normal' this time round.
Will see how it goes.

Porsche Taycan Odd tyre wear Screenshot_20240119_051710_Samsung Internet

Porsche Taycan Odd tyre wear Screenshot_20240119_051638_Samsung Internet

Porsche Taycan Odd tyre wear Screenshot_20240119_051651_Samsung Internet

Porsche Taycan Odd tyre wear Screenshot_20240119_051728_Samsung Internet

Last edited:

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I hate paying for a whole tire and not being able to use it all. I drive my car in low setting all the time. I’ve adjusted my rear camber as much as it will go and have reasonable wear in the rears but the front camber is not adjustable and wear the inside edges prematurely. Would anyone be interested in adjustable front control arms to remedy the excessive camber? The cost would pay for itself in less than 20k miles.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I hate paying for a whole tire and not being able to use it all. I drive my car in low setting all the time. I’ve adjusted my rear camber as much as it will go and have reasonable wear in the rears but the front camber is not adjustable and wear the inside edges prematurely. Would anyone be interested in adjustable front control arms to remedy the excessive camber? The cost would pay for itself in less than 20k miles.
I’d settle for finding a tire shop that would swap the tires on the same axle (inside <-> outside). But they all tell me “Porsche needs to fix the suspension” 😒.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I’d settle for finding a tire shop that would swap the tires on the same axle (inside <-> outside). But they all tell me “Porsche needs to fix the suspension” 😒.
I already do that (flip on the same wheel). $100 and I can double the life of my tires to about 25-30k. By the time I get to 50k I’ll likely be looking for my 3rd set of tires. Crazy thing is my track tires are wearing really evenly with the “stock” camber. I think Porsche got their priorities wrong with their alignment, sacrificing tire life too much for performance that not many owners will need or use. And I would argue that the extra performance is only in the dry as the unevenly worn tires are going to be a detriment in wet conditions for the majority of the tire life.

Last edited:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I already do that (flip on the same wheel). $100 and I can double the life of my tires to about 25-30k.
Where/how? I asked my usual tire shop and they wouldn’t want to hear of it. Said something about the “outside” marking having legal implications. 🙄

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Where/how? I asked my usual tire shop and they wouldn’t want to hear of it. Said something about the “outside” marking having legal implications. 🙄
Unfortunately for you, my answer starts with, “I have a friend”. He’s a track and autocross guy. No issues with flipping tires with directional tread. I guess with the inside edge wear, they’re extra directional! I’d suggest you keep asking around. Some tire shops regularly serve at the track and may be less averse to this.

To add, I think this is a huge sustainability and waste problem tossing tires after 10-15k for uneven wear.

alexsas

First Name
Alexey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, I3
Country flag
I don't think 'all Taycans' do this. I put 7000 miles on my new tyres, and they were measured 6.5mm evenly across all 4 tyres... But I always drive in normal, not sport or sport plus, if that makes a difference
Sponsored