Porsche Connect no longer available on Android Platform!

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Looks like Porsche completely removed the Porsche Connect App for Android. Its no longer available at all in the Play Store.

(There is a Vodaphone "Porsche Connect" App but it is a completely different thing).
Sponsored

Last edited:

neilp1

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S with Mission E Wheels and PCCB breaks
Country flag
This seems like it could be a problem for android + taycan owners, no?

Martinl

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
This seems like it could be a problem for android + taycan owners, no?
I raised it with my dealer and he said "it's only a temporary issue and should be sorted in the coming days, certainly in time for your collection"

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My android app is working alright
Your Android App will continue to work as it always has (not very well I might add...) as long as you ALREADY HAVE the Android app.

However, its going to be a problem if you just got your car and you are an Android user. You will not be able to get the app from the store as it no longer exists... There will also obviously be no updates to the existing app.

If you somehow got the old app to work for you - don't uninstall it as you have no way to install it again. (...at least not without sideloading the app from an APK archive someone has preserved).

Who wants to bet that Porsche REMOVED the app just to clear all the REALLY UNFAVORABLE comments many user's had posted? If they just "upgraded" the app (as one normally does), the old comments are preserved. However, if they completely REMOVE the app, and then re-create it, they start with a "clean slate" of user comments... ;)

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's still available to be downloaded from apkpure and it's the latest release

https://m.apkpure.com/porsche-connect/com.porsche.connect
Yes, that's a "sideload" that someone has preserved (as I mentioned). However, Porsche has removed the app completely from Android availability.

If you now want the app, you are going to have to set up your phone to accept apps "from unofficial sources" (Developer Options), download the APK, and use a third party utility to sideload the app...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Your Android App will continue to work as it always has (not very well I might add...) as long as you ALREADY HAVE the Android app.

However, its going to be a problem if you just got your car and you are an Android user. You will not be able to get the app from the store as it no longer exists... There will also obviously be no updates to the existing app.

If you somehow got the old app to work for you - don't uninstall it as you have no way to install it again. (...at least not without sideloading the app from an APK archive someone has preserved).

Who wants to bet that Porsche REMOVED the app just to clear all the REALLY UNFAVORABLE comments many user's had posted? If they just "upgraded" the app (as one normally does), the old comments are preserved. However, if they completely REMOVE the app, and then re-create it, they start with a "clean slate" of user comments... ;)
Could well be that they're upgrading the app.
Like adding the three extra buttons (light/horn/lock).

PS Can you stop using caps lock? It's quite annoying.
Thx.

Reactions: Reg

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan '19 (Crayon), Taycan 4S+ '21 (Black)
Country flag
Could well be that they're upgrading the app.
Like adding the three extra buttons (light/horn/lock).

Thx.
Successfully installed it thru web based play store play.google.com
Porsche Taycan Porsche Connect no longer available on Android Platform! 1604674412622

No need for a somehow sideload "hack".
Beyond that: It's assumable a glitch, and update gone wrong or preparation of a major renamed/reworked release.
No panic on my side at all. Porsche will not let customers down by brutally pulling this app w/o reason/replacement. Trust.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope, caps exist for a reason. Its for emphasis on certain words. SORRY it annoys you... ;)

NORMALLY, when a developer updates a program, they simply upgrade the program online in place in the store. (They don't remove it first). I've never seen a developer do this before. In fact, Porsche simply updated the "Connect NA" app when they recently upgraded it (as would be expected). However, this is NOT what they are doing with the Porsche Connect app...

The curious thing here is that Porsche DELETED the entire Porsche Connect app. Now when they create a NEW Porsche Connect App they will effectively start with a brand new page and all the critical user comments will be wiped clean!

Pretty cool, huh?

Last edited:
OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Successfully installed it thru web based play store play.google.com
1604674412622.png

No need for a somehow sideload "hack".
Beyond that: It's assumable a glitch, and update gone wrong or preparation of a major renamed/reworked release.
No panic on my side at all. Porsche will not let customers down by brutally pulling this app w/o reason/replacement. Trust.
As I mentioned in my initial posting, thats not the same App. Thats a Vodaphone app ("Porsche CAR Connect") which is a 3rd party app for generic Porsche cars. Its not the "Porsche Connect" app specifically for the Taycan... (You can't access chargers, etc via that app...)

Check the author "Vodafone Automotive Italia S.p.A." is not "Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG"...

Last edited:

Martinl

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Nope, caps exist for a reason. Its for emphasis on certain words. SORRY it annoys you... ;)

NORMALLY, when a developer updates a program, they simply upgrade the program online in place in the store. (They don't remove it first). I've never seen a developer do this before. In fact, Porsche simply updated the "Connect NA" app when they recently upgraded it (as would be expected). However, this is NOT what they are doing with the Porsche Connect app...

The curious thing here is that Porsche DELETED the entire Porsche Connect app. Now when they create a NEW Porsche Connect App they will effectively start with a brand new page and all the critical user comments will be wiped clean!

Pretty cool, huh?
Whilst I work in IT, I am not a developer. But my understanding is that they lose the ability to upgrade all the previous installs. So anybody wishing to upgrade from the old version to the new will be forced to remove and reinstall. This will give people an impetus to report in the app being good or bad.

So whilst it could be to clear bad reviews I think they'll end up causing more pain to end users and achieve the same poor rating.

Who knows.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Whilst I work in IT, I am not a developer. But my understanding is that they lose the ability to upgrade all the previous installs. So anybody wishing to upgrade from the old version to the new will be forced to remove and reinstall. This will give people an impetus to report in the app being good or bad.

So whilst it could be to clear bad reviews I think they'll end up causing more pain to end users and achieve the same poor rating.

Who knows.
I think this is a pretty surprising way to do things - which begs the question as to why they did it this way. Particularly since they just (last week) updated the Charging NA app "in place" as would be normal.

Frankly, I'll just be happy if it "works" next time around...

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow! In one day! That's impressive. Please don't lose that email address! ;)

It shows the version was updated on Nov 6. ...and it WILL auto-update older versions and user comments were preserved!

Yes and it appears to let me log in and will show "e-stations" without completely crashing out! (...at least on my first attempt...)

Fingers crossed!
Sponsored