Porsche NA delays reimbursement payment for charger replacement

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Yes I thought this and thought why? My theory for why they didn't do this is that it is all from the legal department. They need a paper trail showing you understood that the 14-50 pigtail can cause a fire. It really isn't the culprit, the culprit is cheap 14-50 outlets, but the distinction is subtle, and if someone is hurt, Porsche could be liable for a big lawsuit. They need you to effectively agree not to use the pigtail until you get a replacement with a temperature sensor. They are paying you $600 to enter into this agreement and demonstrate you have another charging option. Just sending $600 to owners wouldn't do that. My current pigtail into a Hubble outlet stays only slightly warm at full power. I've used it for a year with no problems.
I guess as long as you submitted, legal got the necessary confirmation and CYA should there be damage. Legal would not on anyone's back to rush the payments, as they are not necessary for this, right?
Sponsored

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
This premium brand comes off as badly disorganized and uncoordinated.

Can you really charge $200,000+ for cars and have a cash flow problem? Sounds like it.
PS: The good news is that sooner or later we'll all get the dough. If they wait too long it will come with interest too.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if PAG has gotten the original supplier to pay for this and now they have no more $$$.

VOLT4GE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes I thought this and thought why? My theory for why they didn't do this is that it is all from the legal department. They need a paper trail showing you understood that the 14-50 pigtail can cause a fire. It really isn't the culprit, the culprit is cheap 14-50 outlets, but the distinction is subtle, and if someone is hurt, Porsche could be liable for a big lawsuit. They need you to effectively agree not to use the pigtail until you get a replacement with a temperature sensor. They are paying you $600 to enter into this agreement and demonstrate you have another charging option. Just sending $600 to owners wouldn't do that. My current pigtail into a Hubble outlet stays only slightly warm at full power. I've used it for a year with no problems.
If the “cheap outlets” are the real issue, then why aren’t other brands’ chargers creating the same hazardous issue?

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
I sent in my claim 21st Feb with an invoice for the Tesla Universal.
Check arrived last week on the 4th April.
Note that it was delivered via UPS next day air and was dispatched from Omaha New England. If you have UPS tracker set up for your home and see a dispatch alert … well then you will now know what it is.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Number of posts in here from owners who had no problems with Porsche chargers until a year had passed. Also posts in here documenting with temp meters source of overheating was Porsche charger cables, not the outlets. Good luck with your setup.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Number of posts in here from owners who had no problems with Porsche chargers until a year had passed. Also posts in here documenting with temp meters source of overheating was Porsche charger cables, not the outlets. Good luck with your setup.
I purchased recently enough that there was lots of information, including Porsche's official recommendation on wiring and receptacle. I never had an issue with charging but, in an abundance of caution, I did derate my PMCC to 30A and eventually switched over to the Grizzl-E with the most recent recall.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I’m likely wrong about the outlet being the only culprit. It is possible that batches of the third party sourced pigtail are, or become defective. This is especially believable at the plug area where I can envision plug and unplug stress could weaken a badly designed crimp inside the molded plastic. I saw one post, however, with temp measurements of the plug, cable, and box, that were all way hotter than mine ever got at 40A. Not sure how that could happen to all three at the same time.

Last edited:

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
If the “cheap outlets” are the real issue, then why aren’t other brands’ chargers creating the same hazardous issue?
Oh jeez, look at the internet. Tesla owners reported cheap melted 14-50 outlets long before Porsche Taycan was even a prototype. Many other EVSE brands also melt and burn. Here is a 2016 post. This is not news. Probably fewer with Porsche than Tesla EVSE. But I am leaning to believe the Porsche pigtails can be defective also.

Last edited:

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag
Make sure when you take your car in for its next service and you pick it up - when they ask for payment tell them:

"I am experiencing some delays and will work to resolve them as soon as possible. Please anticipate receiving a check by mail within approximately 6 weeks".
😂👍

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
There’s certainly a legal hand in the process. My check came via FedEx overnight with a signature required. Overkill unless you’re a lawyer.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if PAG has gotten the original supplier to pay for this and now they have no more $$$.
So you think they got $600 per supplied EVSE, but then had used up part of the money on management and distribution costs, causing them to run out? Or do you think they got less money from the supplier because they thought a large portion people who buy Porsches would not care about $600 enough to go through the process to claim it?

VOLT4GE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Oh jeez, look at the internet. Tesla owners reported cheap melted 14-50 outlets long before Porsche Taycan was even a prototype. Many other EVSE brands also melt and burn. Here is a 2016 post. This is not news. Probably fewer with Porsche than Tesla EVSE. But I am leaning to believe the Porsche pigtails can be defective also.
Porsche’s equipment is the issue here. Essentially, every Porsche charger has the overheating issue with the cable. You’ve pointed out exceptions elsewhere to prove the rule, but that’s not how it works.

You're a fairly new owner and/or member of this forum, but we’ve all been talking about this problem for the past 3+ years. Porsche tried to blame it on faulty outlets, but the overheating problem mysterious vanishes when owners buy new, non-Porsche chargers and plugged them into those same “cheap outlets.“

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
So you think they got $600 per supplied EVSE, but then had used up part of the money on management and distribution costs, causing them to run out? Or do you think they got less money from the supplier because they thought a large portion people who buy Porsches would not care about $600 enough to go through the process to claim it?
No, my thinking was that they have effectively bankrupted the supplier and they don't have any more liquidity.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Outlets can melt due to bad/loose connections etc - you can find ovens/stoves/dryers melting plugs too. However, the issue with Porsche EVSE is that they heat up the NEMA 14-50 plug to high temperatures, which are within spec for industrial NEMA14-50 outlets but not for residential ones, especially with high ambient temperatures (think hot summer day in the garage). Tesla Mobile Connector uses large wires which generate much less heat in the plug for the same 40A current. Furthermore, Tesla Mobile Connectors also have a temperature sensor in the plug, to detect overheating sockets - something that Porsche has only added in this recall.
Sponsored

Last edited: