Real-World EV Range Testing

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Given the multiple threads on stated range and its livability/consequences, I thought that this was really quite interesting. More of these types of tests will be very informative, since none of us would/should ever try this...

https://jalopnik.com/in-real-world-testing-these-electric-cars-dont-get-as-m-1841028089

So what kind of numbers did these electric machines put up?

Mercedes-Benz EQC - 194 miles, 75 percent of claimed range
Audi eTron - 206 miles, 81 percent of claimed range
Nissan Leaf Plus - 208 miles, 87 percent of claimed range
Jaguar iPace - 223 miles, 76 percent of claimed range
Kia E Niro - 255 miles, 90 percent of claimed range
Tesla Model 3 - 270 miles, 78 percent of claimed range
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Yes this is always true, and some overstate and some are conservative in their ratings.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Mercedes-Benz EQC - 194 miles, 75 percent of claimed range
Audi eTron - 206 miles, 81 percent of claimed range
Nissan Leaf Plus - 208 miles, 87 percent of claimed range
Jaguar iPace - 223 miles, 76 percent of claimed range
Kia E Niro - 255 miles, 90 percent of claimed range
Tesla Model 3 - 270 miles, 78 percent of claimed range
I think it is also important to look at the EPA range for these cars. For those who did not watch the video, it was done with a starting outside temp of 7C (45F) dropping to 5C (41F) at the end of the trip, mostly on highways at a cruise control speed set at 70 mph.

Mercedes-Benz EQC - EPA expected range 210-220 miles, done 194 miles: 88-92% of expected EPA range
Audi eTron - EPA 204 miles, done 206 miles: 101% of claimed range
Nissan Leaf Plus - EPA 226 miles, done 208 miles: 92% of claimed range
Jaguar iPace - EPA 234 miles, done 223 miles: 95% of claimed range
Kia E Niro - EPA 239 miles, done 255 miles: 107% of claimed range
Tesla Model 3 - EPA 322 miles, done 270 miles: 84% of claimed range

Conclusions:
1. EPA range is much closer to highway range than WLTP (albeit cars driven at a slower speed that most would do)
2. Good news for Porsche Taycan owners - since the Taycan has same battery as Audi etron, one could expect the highway range to be close to the EPA range even with not so favorable conditions (chilly, some rain).
3. All cars seemed to go a little bit past 0 miles range in this test. I would not count on that for planning though - as plenty documented by Tesla owners, range 0 sometimes means 0.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They are all overstated including Porsche. If they told us what the real world range was I would never have bought it.....

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
They are all overstated including Porsche. If they told us what the real world range was I would never have bought it.....
Wow. I have to disagree based on my own experience.

Porsche claims a range of 201 miles for the Taycan Turbo. I have a Turbo, equipped with the optional 21" Mission E wheels (which should be worse than the 20" wheels with which the car was tested), and I actually can't get as little as 201 miles range out of the car.

The EPA says that the Taycan consumes (on average) 49 kWh per 100 miles. Literally, I've never seen average consumption over 47, and that was a period of canyon blasting where I was really hammering the car. Driving up a 12% grade the other day I couldn't get the consumption over 45 kWh/100 mi.

Driving down the freeway I see something closer to 32-36 kWh/100 mi at 75-80 mph. Driving the car home to the Bay Area from LA, I averaged a speed of 68 mph over the entire day (that included driving on CA-33 in some serious fun mountain twisties). I averaged 35.7 kWh/100 miles that day. My longest stint was 229.1 miles from Pismo Beach to my house, and used only an indicated 87% of the battery. The realistic range of the car is around 230 miles if I'm not trying to drive it gently, and more than 250 if I am. That's quite a bit better than 201.

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
Indeed @porsche_coyote , very strange statment by @John89, I think it's very well documented that range figures communicated by Porsche for the Taycan are very conservative and in most circumstances the car exceeds them (as it does with the EPA figures I believe, it would seem that especially at constant motorway speed the Taycan is very efficient).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Indeed @porsche_coyote , very strange statment by @John89, I think it's very well documented that range figures communicated by Porsche for the Taycan are very conservative and in most circumstances the car exceeds them (as it does with the EPA figures I believe, it would seem that especially at constant motorway speed the Taycan is very efficient).
@John89 has in one of the threads stated that he drives quite fast on the highway, stating 85 to 95 mph. That would also mean a high consumption and then this combined with cold weather is not a good combination. He still says something like 175 miles indicated range though?

If you look at the range tests that Björn Nyland has done with quite a number of EV’s, you can see that the difference between driving at as constant speed as possible at 90 km/h and 120 km/h ( 56 mph and 75 mph) is about 30 to 40% for most cars. For the speeds that @John89 drives, we need some comparisons from members in Germany and autobahn driving.

Here is a link to Björn’s spreadsheets where you can compare a number of cars range and consumption.

There are also the results of 2 Taycan 4S tests with 79 and 93 kWh batteries, if you scroll around.

It is also interesting to see the difference he shows for driving in winter conditions and summer conditions. But I think he prepares the car before the tests so that he starts with a warm car and warmed battery to only compare the consumption while driving and not for heating the car etc.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@John89 has in one of the threads stated that he drives quite fast on the highway, stating 85 to 95 mph. That would also mean a high consumption and then this combined with cold weather is not a good combination. He still says something like 175 miles indicated range though?

If you look at the range tests that Björn Nyland has done with quite a number of EV’s, you can see that the difference between driving at as constant speed as possible at 90 km/h and 120 km/h ( 56 mph and 75 mph) is about 30 to 40% for most cars. For the speeds that @John89 drives, we need some comparisons from members in Germany and autobahn driving.

Here is a link to Björn’s spreadsheets where you can compare a number of cars range and consumption.

There are also the results of 2 Taycan 4S tests with 79 and 93 kWh batteries, if you scroll around.

It is also interesting to see the difference he shows for driving in winter conditions and summer conditions. But I think he prepares the car before the tests so that he starts with a warm car and warmed battery to only compare the consumption while driving and not for heating the car etc.
Today its 26 degrees F and the car is estimated to get 170 miles or range at 85% charge. I'm not gonna do much highway driving and the estimate and actual range aren't going to go up. I saw 43kw/100 average on the way to work.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Today its 26 degrees F and the car is estimated to get 170 miles or range at 85% charge. I'm not gonna do much highway driving and the estimate and actual range aren't going to go up. I saw 43kw/100 average on the way to work.
So, 170 miles at 85% SoC means 200 miles at 100% SoC? Around freezing temperature in a Taycan Turbo S which is driven "dynamically" that does not sound unrealistic.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, 170 miles at 85% SoC means 200 miles at 100% SoC? Around freezing temperature in a Taycan Turbo S which is driven "dynamically" that does not sound unrealistic.
Not sure about the 200 miles. I just got back from a drive and now my "estimate" is about 165 miles for the charge. Driving around town today maybe 50mph max (30-45 average speed).

Edax Rerum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Not sure about the 200 miles. I just got back from a drive and now my "estimate" is about 165 miles for the charge. Driving around town today maybe 50mph max (30-45 average speed).
I am experiencing very similar numbers, and I apparently drive similarly. I have been trying to keep it (down to) between 80-85 mph (it's a constant struggle) because of the colder temperatures. I have noticed that with a long enough trip during the day, the range will increase slightly, but it's still not what it would be in the summer. I also start out from a garage, so that likely affects the estimated range at the beginning.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am experiencing very similar numbers, and I apparently drive similarly. I have been trying to keep it (down to) between 80-85 mph (it's a constant struggle) because of the colder temperatures. I have noticed that with a long enough trip during the day, the range will increase slightly, but it's still not what it would be in the summer. I also start out from a garage, so that likely affects the estimated range at the beginning.
Yep, its a FANTASTIC car...range is what it is.
Sponsored