tombillented

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (Pending)
Country flag
I have a Taycan on an April build slot so anticipating a July delivery. I unfortunately have the small issue that my garage is actually too small inside for me to get out the car.

option 1 - I was looking at one of the rolling platforms that you drive onto, get out the car - press a button and it rolls in. Looking at about £4,500 (ouch)

option 2 - this is just tentatively aimed at the Taycan owners who have got and used the “remote park assist”. My garage is 227cm wide on entry and inside is 290cm across, so not actually wide enough for me to be able to get out as stated. Would I be able to start the parking process - get out of the car and use remote park assist to get the car in and out of the garage?

option 3 - install the charging point outside and park on the drive but not entirely preferable.

Any help or alternative options welcome! Not an ideal situation but I’m in this property until Summer 23 at least and then car is a must have.
Sponsored

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Someone else quoted the gap requirements for remote parking to work (on a similar thread) - you might want to check that.

I have had a couple of instances where remote park (or in my case, remote drive out of garage), purely for fun and not because I need to, has failed to work. Not sure of why it failed, but this is something you need to consider - I haven't had a 100% success rate with the function.

OP
OP

tombillented

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (Pending)
Country flag
Thanks mate, good to know, wouldn’t be much good for me it being stuck in the garage haha. Will check the other thread for the dimensions - good place to start.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Thanks mate, good to know, wouldn’t be much good for me it being stuck in the garage haha. Will check the other thread for the dimensions - good place to start.
"Thanks mate" - spoken like a true fellow Brit :). I do not miss the days of struggling out of my car when parked in a garage in the UK.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
option 1 - I was looking at one of the rolling platforms that you drive onto, get out the car - press a button and it rolls in. Looking at about £4,500 (ouch)
That's less than I'd assumed- and doesn't seem too bad when compared with Porsche option pricing and residuals.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
You should have 10cm on each side to drive it in but as you say, getting out of the car might then be a challenge! I think option 1 is your best bet as you would have it for any future car changes whereas anything extra on the car has to be replaced with the next car.

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
I guess the remote can work. You will have to override it when it freaks out. And you have to be pretty close to the car

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
Remote park isn’t amazingly reliable either. It’s pretty slow and doesn’t always connect as it should so having to rely on that every day would probably be really frustrating.

_Brian_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster GTS 4.0, Audi S5 & Taycan 4s (sold)
Country flag
I can add my experience with parking assist and remote parking (w/ backing into a garage). I have a wide garage door opening with about 12cm clearance on each side of the side mirrors. There is also a small ridge transition from asphalt driveway to a concrete garage floor. These conditions are enough for the Taycan's sensors to think it is approaching imminent contact with either the side of the garage or the transition to the concrete floor so the brake override stops the cars. I then need to manually finish backing the car into the garage.

Please note that I have not tried to face into the garage with remote park or park assist so no experience to add.

Good luck

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Problem I was anticipating and as someone mentioned above, here's the thread:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/minimum-sized-garage-for-a-taycan.9591/#post-137305

There's a very good answer by someone with the plans of their garage and the Taycan with full dimensions given.

In short, you'd need a garage of at least 3 X 6m to park the car without risk of damaging it each time. Passenger would need to exit vehicle before parking.

Average sized UK garage just isn't big enough.

You'd almost need a large double garage for comfortable parking, plus space for other typical items you'd store in the garage (and your wall charger).

If you have the drive space, a garage extension might be the cheaper option. It would also add value to your property.

Floor rollers are dead money + there's a maintenance cost attached. They will eventually break.

A basic garage door and concrete floor won't.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Is OP possibly moving summer 2023?

If car can't self park due to size, other options may be expensive if moving house then.

In which case option 3 for me.

My garage was tight with my last car and I ended up scraping it. Started parking on the drive and have continued with the Taycan.

More risk parking in a tight garage imo.

OP
OP

tombillented

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (Pending)
Country flag
Problem I was anticipating and as someone mentioned above, here's the thread:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/minimum-sized-garage-for-a-taycan.9591/#post-137305

There's a very good answer by someone with the plans of their garage and the Taycan with full dimensions given.

In short, you'd need a garage of at least 3 X 6m to park the car without risk of damaging it each time. Passenger would need to exit vehicle before parking.

Average sized UK garage just isn't big enough.

You'd almost need a large double garage for comfortable parking, plus space for other typical items you'd store in the garage (and your wall charger).

If you have the drive space, a garage extension might be the cheaper option. It would also add value to your property.

Floor rollers are dead money + there's a maintenance cost attached. They will eventually break.

A basic garage door and concrete floor won't.
thanks for this - really useful. I hear that about the floor rollers - slightly reluctant as next property will have a private driveway or double garage so it’s essentially a dead investment as won’t have use for it then.

Unfortunately garage extension isn’t available as it’s a double garage with a wall down the middle (the other side is the neighbours) - looks like another option could be to widen the garage door and reverse park with the passenger side close to the middle wall - that would give me about 60/65cm to exit on driver side door - bit of a squeeze but doable. If I take away the park assist option this should cover it financially!

or just go for the driveway option ?

_Brian_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster GTS 4.0, Audi S5 & Taycan 4s (sold)
Country flag
thanks for this - really useful. I hear that about the floor rollers - slightly reluctant as next property will have a private driveway or double garage so it’s essentially a dead investment as won’t have use for it then.

Unfortunately garage extension isn’t available as it’s a double garage with a wall down the middle (the other side is the neighbours) - looks like another option could be to widen the garage door and reverse park with the passenger side close to the middle wall - that would give me about 60/65cm to exit on driver side door - bit of a squeeze but doable. If I take away the park assist option this should cover it financially!

or just go for the driveway option ?
If you take away the "Park Assist" feature, you will impact the 360 viewing capabilities of the car. This may may impact your use of backing into the garage. Suggest demo of with & without "Park Assist" to make sure your not surprised and help with ultimate decision.
Sponsored

Last edited: