f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Maybe with reference to the vehicle, but I meant relative to the flow out from the wheel, which I assumed is in line with the wheel's axis, with the wheel acting like a propeller- so I intended "laterally" to mean across the face of the wheel/propeller. Anyway, to clarify my underlying question- does a propeller generate any net propulsive force perpendicular to its axis (I guess probably only when the wheel is partly submerged)?
The “traction” will be from the tread on the partially submerged/shrouded wheel IMO. Not much but clearly enough.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
A friend has just done that after Uk recent floods in his ICE AMG Merc, it stopped 10m after the flood and is now written off...expensive insurance claim...who knew the Taycan is amphibious !! Just incredible.
If water comes in via the air intake to the engine it usually wrecks it with con-rods bent trying to compress water.
Going slowly to minimise any bow wave is the best way but still risky. Off road vehicles designed for fording rivers have air periscopes for the engine.

An EV should be fine since it would have seals to avoid damp and splashes shorting the electrics anyway if properly engineered. The worst part would be water into the cabin..

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
It would seem so, as the tapered shape of the blade changes the angle of the flow - and towards the same direction. The “rear” blade/spoke of a wheel would move the water out and to the rear, while the diametrically opposite spoke would cut through the water channeling it inwards towards the center; both/all spokes work towards the same effect.

(This thread turned somehow even sillier than it started, no?)
I have those wheels. Hold my beer . . .

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I have those wheels. Hold my beer . . .
Well, turns out the rims are asymmetrical, but not directional, so you spin like a top with increasing velocity as you push the accelerator. Unfortunately, I had left my window slightly cracked: car is absolutely fine apart from some water I needed to dry from the upholstery, but I now have swimmer's ear. Do not advise.

Now, where's my beer?

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
A friend has just done that after Uk recent floods in his ICE AMG Merc, it stopped 10m after the flood and is now written off...expensive insurance claim...who knew the Taycan is amphibious !! Just incredible.
Flash flood on my street, ~8” of water, seeped into the cooling system on my Panamera ST and it took around $17k and two months to repair. Not worth testing water depth in anything short of a Land Rover with a snorkel (that you don’t own).

• Wow
Reactions: B61

Gino

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster & 2021 Taycan
Country flag
I read the cause of the flooding was cloud seeding operations, so if that's accurate, it would be fresh water...not that anyone should want that in their car any more.
Yes, even impurities in fresh water is not a good idea to submerge any car in let alone an EV...