Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Air isn't a molecule....... it's a mix of molecules
Yes, and what kind of molecules?
We're getting there but slowly. 👍🏻

And why would oxygen leave the tires while nitrogen stays in?
That would be a great invention imho! 😂
Natural gas particles diffusion!
Sponsored

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
Jesus.

I’ll play along with the claim that oxygen molecules leak more rapidly than nitrogen molecules…just long enough to ask…

If more O2 molecules are leaking out, and they’re replaced with a gas comprised of 78% N2, over time shouldn’t the gas inside the tire approach a 100% N2 composition?

As for moisture content within street tires, I’ve never seen a tire shop tech dump water out of a freshly dismounted tire.

I don’t even use pure nitrogen in our airplane tires, and they’re subjected to far greater temperature extremes than any taycan tire ever will be.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Nitrogen is so last season….

The future is helium. Car handles better as it offsets the weight 🤣
You are running behind brother, it's hydrogen now.
There's nothing lighter.
It leaks out quite fast but boy, the car feels like it's pounds lighter!
I'll call my car Graf Zeppelin from now on.
With blue valve caps. 👍🏻

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
There's nothing lighter.
With blue valve caps. 👍🏻
With 4 little Hindenburgs it will be amazing. Regen braking won’t make sparks. Just don’t brake to hard.

• Haha
Reactions: Dee

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
There's nothing lighter.
With blue valve caps. 👍🏻
You guys so old and so behind….real playas use that Moo-Martian air! Imported from the Lunar alps and fertile Martian plains via magical interplanetary screaming goats! Guaranteed not to leave creases in your tires! Up yo’ game ya’ll, you drive Porsches now! 🤣

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
This. "Nitrogen filled tires" is a scam.
Of course. The benefits of a nitrogen enriched (it's never 100%) tire air are overstated by marketing in order to sell, when in fact they are insignificant. Is it lighter that pure air? Yes it is, however the weight difference is completely insignificant, the dirt stuck in your tire tread or worn treads probably change the weight more. Does it expand/shrink less due to temperature? Sure, but again, insignificant by how much, within operating temperatures of a road vehicle tire.

As for why the tires are never filled with 100% nitrogen for $5 or $20 (or even $200 at Porsche)- the tire shop is not re-mounting your tires in an oxygen free clean-room filled with 100% nitrogen, dry them and clean them from anything which may evaporate at operating temps of the tire, to ensure 100% nitrogen gas in your tire. If they just top it off with nitrogen, it simply results in a higher percentage nitrogen in the tire (can never be 100%), but the starting point is 78% already. So nitrogen filled tires are really just nitrogen enriched air filled tires.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got my GTS in Feb 23 and tyre pressures need adjusting.

Do they come from the factory with Nitrogen or bog standard air ?

21” Spyder Wheels with P-Zero’s on my car
They come with genuine German air, topped off with your local air.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With 4 little Hindenburgs it will be amazing. Regen braking won’t make sparks. Just don’t brake to hard.
It's a feature, you will not miss when you blow a tire - as the rims hit the pavement, the sparks ignite the escaping hydrogen.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Of course. The benefits of a nitrogen enriched (it's never 100%) tire air are overstated by marketing in order to sell, when in fact they are insignificant. Is it lighter that pure air? Yes it is, however the weight difference is completely insignificant, the dirt stuck in your tire tread or worn treads probably change the weight more. Does it expand/shrink less due to temperature? Sure, but again, insignificant by how much, within operating temperatures of a road vehicle tire.

As for why the tires are never filled with 100% nitrogen for $5 or $20 (or even $200 at Porsche)- the tire shop is not re-mounting your tires in an oxygen free clean-room filled with 100% nitrogen, dry them and clean them from anything which may evaporate at operating temps of the tire, to ensure 100% nitrogen gas in your tire. If they just top it off with nitrogen, it simply results in a higher percentage nitrogen in the tire (can never be 100%), but the starting point is 78% already. So nitrogen filled tires are really just nitrogen enriched air filled tires.
if you must have nitrgogen filled tires.. costco's provide free self serve nitrogen air stations...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Could've asked ChatGPT for an answer .... hahaha.

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 9.17.28 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 9.18.34 PM.png
Don't trust ChatGPT I'd say.
Only someone who understands physics can see what's not 100% correct in these answers.

PS Every pressure/vacuum vessel has a leakage rate (mbar.l/s) so tires are no different.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Could've asked ChatGPT for an answer .... hahaha.

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 9.18.34 PM.png
My Taycan came with tires made in Czech Republic, but filled with German air, topped off with South Carolina air. More importantly however, the Taycan came with Porsche spec windshield washer fluid based on the warm climate of the delivery location (SC), which froze almost instantly on me as soon as I entered temperatures below 32F/0C. However the air in the tires was good, pressure never dropped enough to cause warning, even in actual freezing temps, under 10F. I now run on genuine Pacific Northwest USA air, no problems either.

EDIT: Correction, German air was released on delivery when the dealer put on winter tires for me, so I drove on all SC air, later supplemented with GA air where I picked up a flat on my trip home.