ssilverman21

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I replaced my Taycan’s key fob battery approx two months ago. I’m being notified that the battery is low again, which seems odd to me. Has anyone else experienced this short of a battery life or have any insight on what could be causing it?
Sponsored

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Where do you store your key when the car is parked? If it's within 30 feet, the car and key communicate which can drain the key's battery. If you can't store the key more than 30 feet from the car you can store it in an enclosed metal box that blocks radio communication.

jrmuppet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Volvo XC60
Country flag
If you hold lock and unlock for 2 seconds the light flashes red and communication stops also.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I replaced my Taycan’s key fob battery approx two months ago. I’m being notified that the battery is low again, which seems odd to me. Has anyone else experienced this short of a battery life or have any insight on what could be causing it?
Mine have gone almost 3 years and counting...don't store the key anywhere near the car!

OP
OP
ssilverman21

ssilverman21

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Where do you store your key when the car is parked? If it's within 30 feet, the car and key communicate which can drain the key's battery. If you can't store the key more than 30 feet from the car you can store it in an enclosed metal box that blocks radio communication.
yes - about 10 ft away from the car. Thanks for the info. Will find a new place to leave my keys!

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
So if i hold the button for two seconds, i can still keep the keys within 30 ft of the car?
Well, since no-one answered, yes, that's the theory. You have to hold both buttons until the key flashes red, and then the key no longer talks to the car until you push unlock on the key. I don't know if it times out or anything but that is used for when you are washing the car, etc., and don't want the convenience unlock to keep unlocking and locking while you walk around. But a metal box might work and be easier.

BTW I see your Exclusive Design Wheels are on the opposite sides of mine, and also opposite to what Porsche shows. I.e., your blades are trailing the spokes and pushing air inward while you drive. I wonder if you had a non-Porsche wheel or tire service? Or did the dealer mount them that way? I doubt it makes a difference, I don't know.

OP
OP
ssilverman21

ssilverman21

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well, since no-one answered, yes, that's the theory. You have to hold both buttons until the key flashes red, and then the key no longer talks to the car until you push unlock on the key. I don't know if it times out or anything but that is used for when you are washing the car, etc., and don't want the convenience unlock to keep unlocking and locking while you walk around. But a metal box might work and be easier.

BTW I see your Exclusive Design Wheels are on the opposite sides of mine, and also opposite to what Porsche shows. I.e., your blades are trailing the spokes and pushing air inward while you drive. I wonder if you had a non-Porsche wheel or tire service? Or did the dealer mount them that way? I doubt it makes a difference, I don't know.
Thanks for your reply and a really interesting observation regarding my wheels. I bought the car used a few months ago in July and have not yet needed it to be serviced by a Porsche dealership. However, I did purchase new tires for Winter driving and have an appointment to have them mounted next week at my local Porsche dealership. I will ask them about your comment and will let you know what they say. Thanks again!
Sponsored