First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Link_to_story

The issue with the claim came down to cost. The damage to the vehicle was extensive and included having to replace parts of its charging mechanism.

When brought to Porsche, the owner was told if he didn’t get the repairs done through one of their approved certified facilities, the warranty on his Taycan would be voided.

That seemed fairly simple, but the insurance company took issue with how much that would cost. According to their own estimates, the total should have been closer to $6,300. The estimate from the Porsche-approved shop was over $2000 higher.

That’s because mechanics who work on luxury or “technologically advanced” cars like the Taycan require specific training and knowledge — and that labor comes at a price, which some insurance companies apparently don’t factor in.

The matter has not yet been resolved. I'm just posting it here for awareness. Your comments, suggestions, and experiences are welcome ...
Sponsored

marc

First Name
marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4s
Country flag
Link_to_story

The issue with the claim came down to cost. The damage to the vehicle was extensive and included having to replace parts of its charging mechanism.

When brought to Porsche, the owner was told if he didn’t get the repairs done through one of their approved certified facilities, the warranty on his Taycan would be voided.

That seemed fairly simple, but the insurance company took issue with how much that would cost. According to their own estimates, the total should have been closer to $6,300. The estimate from the Porsche-approved shop was over $2000 higher.

That’s because mechanics who work on luxury or “technologically advanced” cars like the Taycan require specific training and knowledge — and that labor comes at a price, which some insurance companies apparently don’t factor in.

The matter has not yet been resolved. I'm just posting it here for awareness. Your comments, suggestions, and experiences are welcome ...
Wow. State Farm really blows.
I've been a State Farm Customer my entire adult life but I'll be changing my insurer, entirely based on their liberal denial to extend the level of coverage they seemed to historically. What a drag that they have become so contentious.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Fortunately, in Washington State the state law says that the owner has the right to choose the repair shop and the insurance company has to pony up the $. Florida should have a similar consumer protection law.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Fortunately, in Washington State the state law says that the owner has the right to choose the repair shop and the insurance company has to pony up the $. Florida should have a similar consumer protection law.
Our Governor and legislatures are instead focusing on... other things :rolleyes:

Edit: Also read that our auto insurance is up to 100% higher than than other states.

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
Wow. State Farm really blows.
I've been a State Farm Customer my entire adult life but I'll be changing my insurer, entirely based on their liberal denial to extend the level of coverage they seemed to historically. What a drag that they have become so contentious.
Don't expect other carriers to handle it any differently. Once one makes a move like this, others follow to save claim dollars. They simply change their internal claims handling guidelines so they adjust the losses uniformly.

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
I'm in florida, had Geico for many years but they continued to raise rates even though I had no claims. I had always been happy with them before, but switched to allstate, and they give a very hard time to pay the rates for a Porsche approved repair that was relatively minor. I read about the Porsche sponsored insurance that is likely backed by someone else that guarantees full coverage at Porsche approved repair centers, and was just about to switch when I find out that currently they don't cover glass in Florida. Still on the fence, they state that glass coverage will be coming soon and that this is a Florida only thing. This insurance is only available in limited states at the moment. Anyone else have this insurance?

https://www.porscheautoinsurance.com/

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Florida law provides free windshield replacement under your comprehensive coverage. I don't believe any insurer can deny this.

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
I'm in florida, had Geico for many years but they continued to raise rates even though I had no claims. I had always been happy with them before, but switched to allstate, and they give a very hard time to pay the rates for a Porsche approved repair that was relatively minor. I read about the Porsche sponsored insurance that is likely backed by someone else that guarantees full coverage at Porsche approved repair centers, and was just about to switch when I find out that currently they don't cover glass in Florida. Still on the fence, they state that glass coverage will be coming soon and that this is a Florida only thing. This insurance is only available in limited states at the moment. Anyone else have this insurance?

https://www.porscheautoinsurance.com/
I went to check out rates via Porsche insurance and found it is currently only available in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, and Texas. :confused: I also have Geico for my cars and rates have been going up with each renewal. I have never made a claim and zero infractions on my driving history. I suppose the raises are due to inflation and generally skyrocketing cost of repairs. I generally understand this as insurance is a collective and considering the stunning number of drivers around me looking at their phones as opposed to the road, I am somewhat surprised rates are not higher for us good drivers due to the driving sins of others.

Last edited:

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I went to check out rates via Porsche insurance and found it is currently only available in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, and Texas. :confused: I also have Geico for my cars and rates have been going up with each renewal. I have never made a claim and zero infractions on my driving history. I suppose the raises are due to inflation and generally skyrocketing cost of repairs. I generally understand this as insurance is a collective and considering the stunning number of drivers around me looking at their phones as opposed to the road, I am somewhat surprised rates are not higher for us good drivers due to the driving sins of others.
It's funny you say GEICO. I switched to them to cover my Taycan at more than half the rate of USAA for the same coverage. It's now $1800/year rather than $4000 per year for USAA.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
I’m in the process of dumping USAA $3800/year for progressive @ 1600/year. I’m doing the same for all vehicles and will save $4K/ year after the switch.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I’m in the process of dumping USAA $3800/year for progressive @ 1600/year. I’m doing the same for all vehicles and will save $4K/ year after the switch.
Progressive will start you off low and then raise rates consistently over time. That’s what they did with me and I don’t have any tickets or any claims. That’s not any different from what other insurance companies are doing though. We switch companies every few years at this point. I’m hoping this won’t happen with our latest coverage through Porsche and we can keep our policies with them for many years.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
Progressive will start you off low and then raise rates consistently over time. That’s what they did with me and I don’t have any tickets or any claims. That’s not any different from what other insurance companies are doing though. We switch companies every few years at this point. I’m hoping this won’t happen with our latest coverage through Porsche and we can keep our policies with them for many years.
Good to know. I’m tired of paying the USAA tax for “good customer service.” There customer service is a far cry from what it was a 15-20 years ago.
Sponsored