Tesla Model S price increases to $89,990

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Not exactly a great roll out.

"Tesla buyers who ordered the new Model S are circulating a letter to ask for better communications around Model S deliveries, which are currently quite messy, for a lack of a better word."

https://electrek.co/2021/08/06/tesla-buyers-asking-better-communications-messy-model-s-deliveries/
this is nothing new, tesla has always had minimal communications with buyers regarding deliveries. they go radio silent until the car is about to be delivered. right or wrong this is how tesla does things.
Sponsored

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I'm sure it is selling well. There is lots to applaud.

The speed accomplishment is significant. Especially at the higher end (60-130mph), and finally getting repeatability right, even at low battery charge.

The build quality has been significantly improved, so that panel gaps and creaks are supposedly less of an issue.

Most importantly, the car finally handles with a semblance of respectability, as opposed to the previous Model S....which was absolute garbage in that department.

And of course, the giant iPad and Joystick Wheel add an element of whimsy that certain people will find cool.

All that being said, the speed, while impressive, is a show-trick. Once this thing can illustrate that it can drive well, more so than drive fast in a straight line, I will be much more impressed. The video's which show this thing start to shake at launch, compared to the eerie way the Taycan stays 'planted' around corners, are miles apart.

The build-quality has reached a bare minimum for a serious car company, let alone one charging circa $150k for a car. In terms of luxury this thing is miles away from being adequate. Forget the lack of options (OLEA Leather, HUD or Night Vision, etc), this thing can't even be configured for CarPlay or Leather seats. Again, excusable on a normal car, but one charging so much...

And finally the most inexcusable part, is that as a daily driver this thing suffers horrendously from Elon's ultimate ego trip of making nerd fan-boy design choices that entertain himself, and endanger the driver.

Having no gear shift is awesome, as the car is mean to intuitively know whether you want to be in reverse or drive......except that it can only do this at Park. So if you want to maneuver, say into a bay, or do a 3-point turn, you have to change between drive and reverse on that iPad. (there is a backup touch button arrangement under the wireless charging mats, but it is neither convenient nor something you can do "blind"). Having to take your eyes of the road to switch is a theme more than an oversight, as to indicate, you again have to negotiate with haptic buttons on the steering wheel. In isolation, the isn't so bad.....you don't have to take your hand off the wheel, after all. But once you tun the wheel, those buttons also turn with it. So now, during a manouver, there is no way to tell if you spun the wheels an odd or even amount of times, and whether or not you are about to indicate left or press the car horn, without looking at the wheel. And as for the wheel, you obviously can not do to the push-pull method of turning it. Which is fine, because who does?! But you also can't turn it without either crossing your hands, or letting go of the wheel and grasping at it again (which most of us do).....except that there is literally a giant section missing from where you are grasping onto. I mean, forget resting your hand as you drive, because without the top of the wheel to do that on, "resting" your arm will now mean, pulling in one direction. It is moronic and over-engineered for the sake of scoring internet mentions and "futuristic" high fives. But whereas "fart mode" and "Log Fire" mode could be excuses as harmless fun.....this will cost lives.

So, I applaud the good....and can understand why it would appeal to some people....even if the lengthy order times do indeed seem to have more to do with production problems than being inundated with demand. But it's not a car that can be compared to the Taycan seriously. Not yet. And where I hope that Porsche respond back and take the speed crown from Tesla.....the truth is that it doesn't matter much. I would rather show up the next day in a Taycan, than 1 second faster on a straight line quarter mile in the ludicrously plain looking Model S.
Agree wholeheartedly with your comments -- especially the yoke. The only person that has said anything positive about it is my 14 year old video game addict son, who of course has never actually driven a real car. I would however add to this thread that the likely reason for the large Model S price hikes over the last couple months has less to do with demand and more to do with the fact that Elon smells some sweet new government subsidies coming down the pike. If he raises prices after Joe Biden hands out new subsidies to GM and Tesla purchasers, he will look like a real cad who is usurping his customers' EV incentives.

JustLooking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Huracan, M2, R1 (+ Emira, CyberTruck)
Country flag
This is the sound of Tesla imploding. It's unconscionable to raise the cost $20K in one month. Lucid is going to kick Tesla’s ass when they release their car in a few months, which is how long it takes to take delivery of a new Model S.
They've actually been dropping steadily, especially towards the end of the previous run, to move the last units. Everyone was expecting a refresh, so most wanted to wait. For the refreshed model the prices went back up $10k, right out of the gate. However since then, there have been two $5k increases.

Definitely not a good look, I personally hate it, but the same crap happens at the dealer, we just don't see it as blatantly. For example, 2020 Taycans were selling at a discount to MSRP, 2021 are at MSRP or above. The dealers have no problems with 'market adjustments' or 'dealer premiums' when the market allow for it. This is no different.

I couldn't buy a 911 at MSRP... where do I go and complain? ;)
Sponsored