B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Nope, even Germany agreed (end of March).
Ban was confirmed back in February, but so called synthetic-fuel will still be allowed.
afaik, no one has such fuel in mass production yet.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
My question is - what stops to function after 3 years of ownership? And how much do Porsche want to charge you (annually I presume) to keep it functioning? Has anyone had a Taycan for long enough to know?
Our 2020 Turbo S Free Charging stops at the end of this month.
A call to Porsche North America uncovered today's situation (2023-08-14):

The Charging Plan is separate from the Taycan Connect Plan.
  • Plug and Charge continues to work at Electrify America (EA) with a new plan.
  • The Porsche / EA charging plan is in progress but not released.
    (Annual fee plus discounted rate - may be $99 US / year and 30% EA discount).
  • Free charging for our 2020 TS continues (one year?) or until the Porsche / EA charging plan is released.
The Porsche Connect Plan is $319 US for one year. We paid in advance to seamlessly roll over into the next year. The Porsche NA website updated our one-year extension in minutes (lightning fast for Porsche).

The Taycan Connect Plan includes (copy from Porsche NA – put your marketing head on 😊):

Navigation Plus
With real-time traffic information and map updates, you will avoid traffic jams.

Charging Planner
The Planner optimizes travel time by calculating the route, taking into account the current charge state, available charging stations, and traffic information.

Porsche Voice Pilot
"Hey Porsche": a voice command is all it takes to control navigation, music, air conditioning, ambient lighting, and much more.

Finder
Select charging/petrol stations, hotels, and restaurants along your route. Would you like to find out more? Reviews and ratings make your decision easier.

Spotify
Enjoy listening to millions of songs ad-free and podcasts on-demand. Right from your touchscreen display.

Radio Plus
Listen to Internet radio while driving. And not just local radio, but stations from all over the world (a WiFi data package is required, or WiFi Hotspot needs to be turned on in the PCM for data usage).

Calendar
Simply connect your calendar to the vehicle and let it drive you directly to your next appointment, for example.

News
Stay up to date on the way to your next meeting, whether with stock market information or political news.

Weather
Will tonight's barbecue go ahead, and is the weekend trip still on? With up-to-date weather information, you will know for certain.

E-Control
This service allows you to check the battery status and remaining range of your car, get information about the remaining charging time and manage the charging process with timers (only available for electric and hybrid models).

Climate
Ensure comfortable warmth in winter and pleasant coolness in summer even before getting in (only available for electric and hybrid models).

Car Control
Before driving, comfortably check the tire pressure or inform yourself about your service intervals.

Trip Control
Keep track of all routes and their energy consumption.

Carfinder
You no longer have to search for your car in large car parks or in new cities.

Location Alarm
Set where your Porsche is allowed to drive. If your defined area is exceeded, you will receive a message.

Speed Alarm
Are your children driving too fast? The Speed Alarm checks and alerts you if this is the case.

Valet Alarm
Even stay well informed about parking services. Thanks to the combination of location and speed alarm.

Car Alarm
Receive a notification as soon as the alarm system of your vehicle registers external access.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag

[...]
The Porsche Connect Plan is $319 US for one year. We paid in advance to seamlessly roll over into the next year. The Porsche NA website updated our one-year extension in minutes (lightning fast for Porsche).

The Taycan Connect Plan includes (copy from Porsche NA – put your marketing head on 😊):

Navigation Plus
[long list]
Thanks for sharing. If I interpret the long list of options correctly, it sounds like the gear selection and A/C (maybe) will be about the only features still working without a paid subscription? (Maybe locking, too, but wouldn't bet.)

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. If I interpret the long list of options correctly, it sounds like the gear selection and A/C (maybe) will be about the only features still working without a paid subscription? (Maybe locking, too, but wouldn't bet.)
Looks to me like it may be standard Connect Plan renewal across all Porsche models.

E-Control
This service allows you to check the battery status and remaining range of your car, get information about the remaining charging time and manage the charging process with timers (only available for electric and hybrid models).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

• Plug and Charge continues to work at Electrify America (EA) with a new plan.
  • The Porsche / EA charging plan is in progress but not released.
    (Annual fee plus discounted rate - may be $99 US / year and 30% EA discount).
  • Free charging for our 2020 TS continues (one year?) or until the Porsche / EA charging plan is released.

Navigation Plus
With real-time traffic information and map updates, you will avoid traffic jams.

Charging Planner
The Planner optimizes travel time by calculating the route, taking into account the current charge state, available charging stations, and traffic information.

Porsche Voice Pilot
"Hey Porsche": a voice command is all it takes to control navigation, music, air conditioning, ambient lighting, and much more.

Finder
Select charging/petrol stations, hotels, and restaurants along your route. Would you like to find out more? Reviews and ratings make your decision easier.

Spotify
Enjoy listening to millions of songs ad-free and podcasts on-demand. Right from your touchscreen display.

Radio Plus
Listen to Internet radio while driving. And not just local radio, but stations from all over the world (a WiFi data package is required, or WiFi Hotspot needs to be turned on in the PCM for data usage).

Calendar
Simply connect your calendar to the vehicle and let it drive you directly to your next appointment, for example.

News
Stay up to date on the way to your next meeting, whether with stock market information or political news.

Weather
Will tonight's barbecue go ahead, and is the weekend trip still on? With up-to-date weather information, you will know for certain.

E-Control

Climate
Ensure comfortable warmth in winter and pleasant coolness in summer even before getting in (only available for electric and hybrid models).

Car Control
Before driving, comfortably check the tire pressure or inform yourself about your service intervals.

Trip Control
Keep track of all routes and their energy consumption.

Carfinder
You no longer have to search for your car in large car parks or in new cities.

Location Alarm
Set where your Porsche is allowed to drive. If your defined area is exceeded, you will receive a message.

Speed Alarm
Are your children driving too fast? The Speed Alarm checks and alerts you if this is the case.

Valet Alarm
Even stay well informed about parking services. Thanks to the combination of location and speed alarm.

Car Alarm
Receive a notification as soon as the alarm system of your vehicle registers external access.
Whenever I've road tripped lately, the app tells me my car is privacy mode even though the PCM in the car say it's not (and LTE says it's connected with a happy signal strength). That makes most of the above paid features unusable. If I'm paying for them, do I just call PCNA and they will manually connect to my car to pre-cool it, or will they just give me some pro-rated credit for service I paid for and they didn't deliver? Is is this just a payment for them to not permanently disable the service, with no actual guarantees it will work?

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It looks like they are locking out all online functions. This supports my theory why they don't allow WiFi connection to the car, as that would allow people to connect their Taycans to the internet through their phones (like some Tesla users choose to do) instead of paying for car connectivity. $319 a year for fairly low data volume cellular data connection is probably a good profit for Porsche.

That said, from the list above, the only feature I use is precooling/pre-heating. All the rest are not usable enough for me to use, for example remote unlock takes way too long, quicker to just go get the key to the car. At least Tesla includes such basic functionality like location or remote unlock (and offers remote start too) for free, rather than moving it to premium connectivity package (and it works much smoother/faster).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
That is crazy expensive for what you get. It should be free for life when you pay this much for the car. It is another example of companies profiteering by using a subscription model for services

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
In the simplest answer to the thread title…..will seek the next vehicle that strikes my fancy. EV’s don’t seem to have the appeal as many ICE cars for me in the long term BUT, from hindsight , if I had kept some of my past cars I def would have some value appreciated vehicle.

I just never had any inclination to keep them, so with the past as experienc, I will most likely I’ve to something else in 3 years.

briomir

First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My subscription has just ran out - the only function which is almost a necessity (to me) is the "E-Control". Without this, my OVO smart charge tariff is useless as the car cannot communicate with the smart charge app... I can't even see from MyPorsche app what my car is doing, its charge levels etc. £269.99 per year seems steep, but I think in the grand scheme of things probably not a lot...!

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
My subscription has just ran out - the only function which is almost a necessity (to me) is the "E-Control". Without this, my OVO smart charge tariff is useless as the car cannot communicate with the smart charge app... I can't even see from MyPorsche app what my car is doing, its charge levels etc. £269.99 per year seems steep, but I think in the grand scheme of things probably not a lot...!
It's a damn rip-off. I'll get properly angry in a few years when mine expires, but I would encourage a revolt. Porsche's total cost is probably ~10 subscriptions - the rest is pure profit. And greedy, too - I doubt anyone would have had a problem at ~100-150/year.

It's not clear, though, if the car stops uploading, or Porsche simply blocks access to data? Does the website still work/show the car info? (Because if yes, I know a few developers around here who'd write a better app within days..)

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
It looks like they are locking out all online functions. This supports my theory why they don't allow WiFi connection to the car, as that would allow people to connect their Taycans to the internet through their phones (like some Tesla users choose to do) instead of paying for car connectivity. $319 a year for fairly low data volume cellular data connection is probably a good profit for Porsche.
If I understand correctly, this feature concerns the uploading of car telemetry to Porsche's services, and then being made available to the user through the web portal and/or app. The subscription fee is not for the transmission (though it helps them defray the cost, no doubt), but rather to cover for everything - the development of the portal/app, hosting cost etc. WiFi would not have helped here, IMO, because the car is not the 'server' - ie connecting directly to the car over the WiFi would not have provided access to this data in a consumer-digestible format.

I don't disagree that this is a good bit of profit. Shame, I kinda liked the thought of programming timers through the app, or seeing my consumption data.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I understand correctly, this feature concerns the uploading of car telemetry to Porsche's services, and then being made available to the user through the web portal and/or app. The subscription fee is not for the transmission (though it helps them defray the cost, no doubt), but rather to cover for everything - the development of the portal/app, hosting cost etc. WiFi would not have helped here, IMO, because the car is not the 'server' - ie connecting directly to the car over the WiFi would not have provided access to this data in a consumer-digestible format.

I don't disagree that this is a good bit of profit. Shame, I kinda liked the thought of programming timers through the app, or seeing my consumption data.
To contrast Porsche approach, Tesla on the other hand knows that car telemetry and OTA ability is more important for Tesla than the customer, so that is actually always free for the life of the car. Tesla learns a ton from telemetry, for example about how batteries age, and OTA allows them to tweak battery management algorithms too as they learn more about the batteries. Low bandwidth, low data usage, cellular service is not very expensive, I remember looking in to it once for work and for a 1GB a month you could get a lifetime subscription for $50 one time fee (IIRC lifetime meant lifetime of the device, so whatever model you activated the sim card on, as long it was alive, you could use 1GB per month for free). Heck, I pay for LTE based internet backup for my home, used to be $5 a month for 1GB, then $5 per GB overage - it went up to $15 a month during COVID but I'm sure it's just the company wanting to make more money, not their costs tripling. Since Tesla is already paying for lifetime cellular for each car, they include the app usage which allows you track your car, unlock the car, start the car (for driving),etc, and only charge premium connectivity ($10 a month of $100 a year) for high bandwidth usage, like streaming netflix, google satellite maps, traffic visualization (constant polling for traffic conditions). The servers managing the cars are up anyways, so incremental cost to allow them to communicate with the app is negligible.

Maybe Porsche doesn't value telemetry data, or maybe they haven't yet developed proper telemetry collection, kind of like OTA, they have it but it's very primitive. Maybe they feel they need to charge for all app functions because they know they don't have any advanced functionality to charge for. And, I'm sure they figure premium priced cars have owners willing to pay premium prices for basic features. IMO, the functionality they offer is not worth $30 a month. I might replace the precool functionality (the only app function useful to me) with my own solution even before my subscription expires for no other reason but to make it reliable as it keeps locking me out when I road trip, and just today, the app completely removed the precool option - it just disappeared, even though the car is at home where it's been parking since February - there isn't even the connection status indicating it cannot connect to the car, just all controls gone (see here for details)! Such unreliable service should not be rewarded with an overpriced subscription.

Last edited:

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
£270 is cheap by Porsche standards.

But my wife's BMW just passed it's 3rd birthday and the Connected Drive subscription for that is about £60 pa iirc.
It was c£90 pa in my M2.

I am getting a bit pi55edoff with Porsche tax on 'everything'.
It's not a matter of affordability, but I think the consumer experience you get from the brand is actually worse than many other manufacturers.

So much so, that as much as I love my Taycan, it's probably my first and last Porsche.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
To contrast Porsche approach, Tesla on the other hand knows that car telemetry and OTA ability is more important for Tesla than the customer, so that is actually always free for the life of the car. Tesla learns a ton from telemetry, for example about how batteries age, and OTA allows them to tweak battery management algorithms too as they learn more about the batteries.

Maybe Porsche doesn't value telemetry data, or maybe they haven't yet developed proper telemetry collection, kind of like OTA, they have it but it's very primitive. Maybe they feel they need to charge for all app functions because they know they don't have any advanced functionality to charge for.
About two minutes after I read your post, I logged on to myporsche website and got this:
Porsche Taycan What happens after 3 years? 1692273393840

:CWL:
Sponsored