What is your favourite Burmester settings in your car?

exilen94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
What is your favourite Burmester settings in your car?

Would love to hear your opinion!

I don't know why, but I feel like the bass is way too hard when listening to hiphop and RnB.
Sponsored

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
I find Auro 3D to be my go-to setting.
Regarding there other settings, I vary it depending upon what I am listening to.
I spend most of my time on TIDAL

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will give it a try...

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for these references. It looks like I have some homework to do with regard to the Burmester system in my 4S. i had assumed that Auro 3D simply interpolates muti-channel playback from a two channel data stream.
I am a long-term audio fanatic, with a high end 16 channel Dolby Atmos system at home.
I had a Burmester system in my Panamera as well, and of course, it's even better in the quiet interior of the 4S. The acoustic glass adds a lot as well.
My sources are Tidal, Apple Music, and HD FM.

iamai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS
Country flag
-3 Bass
+1 Treble
Auro 3D at 4 alternating between Pure and Live sometimes.
Although the Pure setting sounded like garbage prior to the most-recent PCM update, not so much anymore.

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks...I will give it a try.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am a long-term audio fanatic, with a high end 16 channel Dolby Atmos system at home.
I also have been into audio since building my own amp and speakers back in the '60s to having a dedicated listening room for the last 25 years or so.
I almost never watch films though and most of my 7000 ish discs are mono or stereo so I haven't invested much in surround sound, just centre, rear and sub for films.

Years ago I spent a lot of money on car audio but eventually came to the conclusion that because the relative positions of listener and different frequency range drivers imposed on us by the car environment is too big a compromise to be compensated to give good enough sound in a car for me to enjoy - so gave up.
Much more recently I suppose DSP can resolve some of the problems.

Nowadays I only listen seriously at home, usually drive in silence, and have the standard audio, which is acceptably low colouration and has an unexpectedly even frequency response (with tone controls flat) but the usual problems of imaging due to listener/speaker positions.

Reading about car audio most non-audiophiles like loud with hugely boosted bass and treble it would seem. Can be nice on pop music but dire on speech and acoustic IME.

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also have been into audio since building my own amp and speakers back in the '60s to having a dedicated listening room for the last 25 years or so.
I almost never watch films though and most of my 7000 ish discs are mono or stereo so I haven't invested much in surround sound, just centre, rear and sub for films.

Years ago I spent a lot of money on car audio but eventually came to the conclusion that because the relative positions of listener and different frequency range drivers imposed on us by the car environment is too big a compromise to be compensated to give good enough sound in a car for me to enjoy - so gave up.
Much more recently I suppose DSP can resolve some of the problems.

Nowadays I only listen seriously at home, usually drive in silence, and have the standard audio, which is acceptably low colouration and has an unexpectedly even frequency response (with tone controls flat) but the usual problems of imaging due to listener/speaker positions.

Reading about car audio most non-audiophiles like loud with hugely boosted bass and treble it would seem. Can be nice on pop music but dire on speech and acoustic IME.
I find that the latest multichannel formats to be worlds ahead of the surround sound of 30 years ago. Dolby Atmos, DTX, and Auto 3D are well executed, and come alive with a capable processor.
I really like the sense of envelopment that they impart, especially with live and classical music.
They can really recreate the sound of the venue. It's true that the creators have lots to learn about these new formats, but when done, they can be beautiful. Obviously, it can be expensive to set up properly, using Lyngdorf, or Trinnow as the heart of the system.
Like you, I did a McIntosh car system in the '90's, but admittedly, all the associated car noise defeated any attempt to get things right.

Watchesandburgers

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I used to consider myself a bit of an audiophile. Does owning a pair of Magnepan speakers auto-grant membership in that club? I don't own them anymore. I personally love the sound of the Burmester system, though I haven't compared it to the base or Bose systems in this car. Driving an EV, with its lower noise floor compared to ICE cars makes a big difference. The base audio in my previous car, a Tesla Model S, was fair. I did not have the upgraded system with the subwoofer.

Anyway, I listen almost exclusively to Apple Music and have the system setup like this:
Mode: Aura 3D
Aura Intensity: 6
Base & Treble: +2

I originally had bass & treble set higher, but the subwoofer/bass from this system is really big, and 3 was too high for me. I also tried the Pure and Live modes briefly and liked Pure well enough. The Smooth mode sounded downright awful, IMO.
Sponsored