What's a reasonable non-refundable deposit?

Kbmore22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, BMW 335i, Lexus LX570
Country flag
I was able to find an available allocation but the dealer is asking for a $13K non-refundable deposit to place the order. Is this a reasonable amount? They initially asked for $15K but conceded to reducing to $13K. With it being non-refundable, my main concern is having unforeseen delays pushing delivery out much farther than expected (12+ months out from now) and me having no options but being forced to wait.
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Depends on what your spec is. Order normal color, with black interior, and a normal amount of options, and there's no way I'd want to pay that much.

That said, the dealers hold all the cards right now, because there's no allocation.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I paid $1k to get in the allocation queue (refundable) and then an additional $4k once order placed. At this point, the total $5k became non-refundable. This was the model for my Taycan and now the same model for my Cayenne Turbo GT.

I was told that sometimes deposit is higher if a unique spec that they would have trouble selling on (I added about 40k options to my Taycan Turbo and about $25k to my Cayenne).

Hope this helps.

_Brian_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster GTS 4.0, Audi S5 & Taycan 4s (sold)
Country flag
I paid $1k to get in the allocation queue (refundable) and then an additional $4k once order placed. At this point, the total $5k became non-refundable. This was the model for my Taycan and now the same model for my Cayenne Turbo GT.

I was told that sometimes deposit is higher if a unique spec that they would have trouble selling on (I added about 40k options to my Taycan Turbo and about $25k to my Cayenne).

Hope this helps.
Ditto for me

OP
OP
Kbmore22

Kbmore22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, appreciate the quick feedback. Here's my build code PPJV9H85. It's a white exterior with the black/chalk interior and includes what I feel are pretty common options (Mission E wheels and Prem Pkg were the biggest items). I spoke with other dealerships and the highest I've heard besides this was $5K. With the $13K deposit, I feel like the dealership is wanting to get their cut ahead of time and then they really wouldn't care how long at that point the customer waits.

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan RWD (PNYVW213)
Country flag
In early April, I put up a non-refundable $5k deposit for an available allotment of a base Taycan at MSRP. I think $5k is standard but it's totally up to each dealership.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, appreciate the quick feedback. Here's my build code PPJV9H85. It's a white exterior with the black/chalk interior and includes what I feel are pretty common options (Mission E wheels and Prem Pkg were the biggest items). I spoke with other dealerships and the highest I've heard besides this was $5K. With the $13K deposit, I feel like the dealership is wanting to get their cut ahead of time and then they really wouldn't care how long at that point the customer waits.
Are they selling at MSRP?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have no problem dropping a non-refundable deposit during normal times, but there's no way I would do it right now with lead times and uncertainty what they are.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes, MSRP but must also purchase at least one addon (PPF, Wheel Protection, etc.)
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT let your dealer do PPF. Pick some other overpriced add on they demand you throw in instead. If you want PPF, find a good local independent installer to do the work based on recommendations from other customers. I don't even let the dealer wash my new cars.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was able to find an available allocation but the dealer is asking for a $13K non-refundable deposit to place the order. Is this a reasonable amount? They initially asked for $15K but conceded to reducing to $13K. With it being non-refundable, my main concern is having unforeseen delays pushing delivery out much farther than expected (12+ months out from now) and me having no options but being forced to wait.
For CA residents: In California a dealer cannot ask for more than 2.5% of the purchase price as a deposit, and all deposits are refundable at the request of the buyer, until the vehicle purchase contract is signed (CA Vehicle Code §11736)

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT let your dealer do PPF. Pick some other overpriced add on they demand you throw in instead. If you want PPF, find a good local independent installer to do the work based on recommendations from other customers. I don't even let the dealer wash my new cars.
Even though I got my PPF through the dealer, they sent it out to a local shop to have it done. They were upfront about it, and told right then and there that was the case.

to the OP: I put down a $2k deposit on my non-unique 4S in 2020, and $5k on a unique one in 2022.

OP
OP
Kbmore22

Kbmore22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PPF was actually the one I was considering so thanks for this advice. Sounds like you're familiar with nightmare stories of dealer applied PPF's.

OP
OP
Kbmore22

Kbmore22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For CA residents: In California a dealer cannot ask for more than 2.5% of the purchase price as a deposit, and all deposits are refundable at the request of the buyer, until the vehicle purchase contract is signed (CA Vehicle Code §11736)
Wish I was in Cali! I researched the laws where this dealership is located and they don't have such a consumer oriented policy.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PPF was actually the one I was considering so thanks for this advice. Sounds like you're familiar with nightmare stories of dealer applied PPF's.
I would get the wheel and tire insurance; I didn’t but lots of examples on here where it made sense to! Especially if getting the mission e wheels.
Sponsored