Why is the Taycan so long?

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
That's true. Seems that "normal" people actually take more care when parking next to a nice Porsche but the morons will treat it the same.

I try to park to the most right side or most left side (when backing into the spot) and try to leave as much space as possible but there's still that worry of the first "ding"
In DC, if your bumpers are perfect, the overwhelming majority of people will go extra lengths not to touch your car when parallel parking. If your bumpers are already damaged, people stop caring and some will “bump” park. Moral of story, fix bumper damage quickly. I think the preponderance of better parking aids has really limited bumps.
Sponsored

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
In DC, if your bumpers are perfect, the overwhelming majority of people will go extra lengths not to touch your car when parallel parking. If your bumpers are already damaged, people stop caring and some will “bump” park. Moral of story, fix bumper damage quickly. I think the preponderance of better parking aids has really limited bumps.
Yeah but I'll never forget my 2002 "key" event when some A**hole scratched rear left panel on my z3. Some people are just jealous animals. :(

dmb

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Doesn't it have to do with the aerodynamics? Longer cars and as a result has a gradual downward slope have less turbulence/vacuum in the rear...is what I heard...I am no engineer so I could be completely wrong

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Agree with what others wrote: battery + low roofline + giving it Porsche sports car styling cues add up to limited interior space. Still, I think they could've done a little better with the interior packaging. One small example: why is the center console storage so tiny?! Its not lik there' s a tranmsission underneath the center tunnel taking up that space...and nearly every other EV manages to have cavernous center console storage.

Interestingly, a Mini Clubman has nearly identical cargo capacity and probably legroom as a Taycan Cross Turismo! (using Etron GT legroom numbers as a proxy since Porsche doens't publish legroom info for some odd reason).

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I remember Stefan Weckbach back in 2021 publicly stating that they've considered a coupe as well as a convertible version of Taycan. Presumably that was put on ice not to cannibalise purchasers of 911 and the upcoming EV version of Boxster.
Sponsored