Why won’t my taycan respond when I connect to wall charger?

Rango

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 BMW M550i, 2024 BMW X5
Country flag
I bought an Autel Maxicharger 40A/240V home charger per Porsche recall advice.
I have used it three times so far to charge to 80% no problem. Today I plugged the
Charger cable and the button didn’t light up “white” and the car didn’t respond by
Starting to accept charging. The button never lit up. I got a message something
Like “charging not possible “ on the interior center council screen.
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Was the message you saw in PCM something like: Porsche charging planner is active.
?

violuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RWD
Country flag
If you have an OBDII dongle, it might be worth connecting it to the Taycan and seeing if it gives you any useful hints. This allowed me to provide my dealer with information that greatly streamlined the diagnosis, to the point where they were able to order necessary parts within hours of me dropping it off this morning.

Your symptoms are similar to mine, but not enough that I'm going to guess that we have the same problem. Mine would start charging for about 30-60 seconds, but then give up and the center console bar would change to gray.

My onboard AC charger is to be replaced.

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
Make sure that the charger plug is securely plugged in....I have experienced this situation when I have been sloppy about plugging it into the Taycan. Be sure you have a good connection.

Valerian

First Name
Valerian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I bought an Autel Maxicharger 40A/240V home charger per Porsche recall advice.
I have used it three times so far to charge to 80% no problem. Today I plugged the
Charger cable and the button didn’t light up “white” and the car didn’t respond by
Starting to accept charging. The button never lit up. I got a message something
Like “charging not possible “ on the interior center council screen.
Also try your other charge port as at work mine doesn't charge on one of them.

OP
OP
Rango

Rango

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was the message you saw in PCM something like: Porsche charging planner is active.
?
No, just “charging not possible “
If you have an OBDII dongle, it might be worth connecting it to the Taycan and seeing if it gives you any useful hints. This allowed me to provide my dealer with information that greatly streamlined the diagnosis, to the point where they were able to order necessary parts within hours of me dropping it off this morning.

Your symptoms are similar to mine, but not enough that I'm going to guess that we have the same problem. Mine would start charging for about 30-60 seconds, but then give up and the center console bar would change to gray.

My onboard AC charger is to be replaced.
Thanks for suggestion however I don’t own a OBDII Dongle.
Also try your other charge port as at work mine doesn't charge on one of them.
Thanks for suggestion however my cable will only mate with drivers side port.
Make sure that the charger plug is securely plugged in....I have experienced this situation when I have been sloppy about plugging it into the Taycan. Be sure you have a good connection.
i have tried plugging in numerous times and it always seats very snug…no slop in the connection.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Thanks for suggestion however my cable will only mate with drivers side port.
this is factually incorrect - you can charge your Taycan with a North American J-1772 EVSE on both sides of the vehicle - if it doesn't fit there is something wrong with your EVSE or your Taycan - you are _NOT_ limited to only charging the vehicle on one side of the vehicle.

if you're having trouble charging recommend you:

a) try the other side - yes it will fit and it will work
b) try another EVSE public one near by

if both a and b fail that means there is probably a warranty issue with you Taycan and you dealer can diagnose.

OP
OP
Rango

Rango

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this is factually incorrect - you can charge your Taycan with a North American J-1772 EVSE on both sides of the vehicle - if it doesn't fit there is something wrong with your EVSE or your Taycan - you are _NOT_ limited to only charging the vehicle on one side of the vehicle.

if you're having trouble charging recommend you:

a) try the other side - yes it will fit and it will work
b) try another EVSE public one near by

if both a and b fail that means there is probably a warranty issue with you Taycan and you dealer can diagnose.

OP
OP
Rango

Rango

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Corrected, haven’t used the passenger side in a long time. I did try it today and same result…car not responding to being connected to charger. Will take it to dealer hoping update to software will resolve problem.

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
@Rango when I took delivery of my new car last July I installed a 3-phase Smappee Charger with solar integration. Loved the look of the charger and integration with my home solar. After 3 weeks of trying, including a replacement Smappee charger, we just could not get the Smappee to work reliably with the Taycan. Some days it would work and others not. Completely random and unresolvable after days and days of configuration changes and testing. My "unproven hunch" was the Smappee instantaneously threw all 22kw of power at the car before it was ready to receive.

In the end I replaced the Smappee with a 3-phase Tesla Wall Connector. It works perfectly every time.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
I did try it today and same result…car not responding to being connected to charger. Will take it to dealer hoping update to software will resolve problem.
Not that this is your issue, since you've been successful in the past, but I purposely experimented recently with multiple timers in my PCM to see how they would work together. I discovered that if you have timer one set (at 60% in my case) and the SOC is above that when you plug in (mine was 73% in my experiment), the car will see that timer as completed and will not move to timer two (set for a later time and 80%).

It may be worth checking that you didn't accidentally make multiple timers active before you see the dealer.

OP
OP
Rango

Rango

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not that this is your issue, since you've been successful in the past, but I purposely experimented recently with multiple timers in my PCM to see how they would work together. I discovered that if you have timer one set (at 60% in my case) and the SOC is above that when you plug in (mine was 73% in my experiment), the car will see that timer as completed and will not move to timer two (set for a later time and 80%).

It may be worth checking that you didn't accidentally make multiple timers active before you see the dealer.
Thank you but I only have one setting

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Yeah, I figured. I sort of added for anyone else who might search their issues.

Yours sounds like a dealer visit for sure :confused:

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
1. Have you tried charging at home with the "direct charge" console option? (bypasses all in-car profiles and timers)
2. Have you taken the car to a public level2/destination charging station - not DC fast charging - to see if charging works? If you can charge at a different L2 charger it's not the car.

OP
OP
Rango

Rango

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1. Have you tried charging at home with the "direct charge" console option? (bypasses all in-car profiles and timers)
2. Have you taken the car to a public level2/destination charging station - not DC fast charging - to see if charging works? If you can charge at a different L2 charger it's not the car.
Yes I have tried direct charging and no change. I successfully charged the car 3 times prior without a problem so I don’t think it is the charger.
Sponsored