WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
In what respects?

As a dragster we don't know, but maybe, and in every other respect other than passenger volume it will probably be inferior.

Whether the superiority of the Taycan will be worth the money to a potential customer will vary on their requirements.

Tha Macan doesn't look worth the money for me personally.
My original point was that the Macan EV appears to be better value for the average consumer
, who, at least in the US, is not interested in either sedans or wagons.

And I admit “outspanking” was a slight exaggeration: the base Macan has comparable power with the outgoing 4CT (+20hp), and is slightly heavier (+200lb). The turbo is a different story altogether - there is no contest, whether one considers the price, power, features or usability.

The Taycan will retain superiority in handling, but I’m pretty sure the Macan won’t be a tractor; it has a shorter wheel base, and a similar suspension. The vast majority of drivers won’t know, nor care - meaning that passenger space be actually the more important decision factor.

edit: *I should clarify this doesn’t mean consumers will flock to buy Macans; however, the US average consumer prefers a crossover, and for the US Porsche buyer (who principally buys Cayennes and Macans) the new EV is better value.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
To me the answer seems obvious. Porsche has, and always will be, a performance oriented automobile manufacturer. They will always want to create "halo" products that define the outer edge of performance possible given a set of automotive and track-based constraints.

Of course you don't have to buy these halo products, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. When you are Porsche, creating a car like this is an exercise in having as much design flexibility as possible without the cost constraints of having to sell a lot of vehicles. What fun they must have had 😀
I would agree with you when it comes to sports cars. Doing this to a four-door sedan is ridiculous. What’s next, a Weissach version of the Macan??:rolleyes:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Get what?? I'm always in favor of good engineering, especially when it comes to cars. Removing a bunch of features and seats to reduce weight is not good engineering - it's just silly. I'm not going to reinforce this kind of ridiculousness.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Get what?? I'm always in favor of good engineering, especially when it comes to cars. Removing a bunch of features and seats to reduce weight is not good engineering - it's just silly. I'm not going to reinforce this kind of ridiculousness.
Poor attempt at humor; I meant that the Weissach Package on an SUV would first be offered on the more premium offering - which is, of course, absurd.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
but today an unmodded Plaid beats a Turbo S in a drag race and around a track, and near matches a stripped down GT version around a track. I always thought Porsche wanted a larger margin of performance between stock cars to help justify the price margin.
exactly the same was true for the C6 Z06 18 years ago. It had way more power than GT3 and GT2 and was faster on a drag strip and for a single hotlap at 50% or less of the price of a GT2.

And we always had these discussion for the whole car market even 30+ years ago when the Japanese grew in Europe and threatened to steal big market shares. But look, they co-exist and German OEM are still way more expensive.
Sponsored

Last edited: