Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
For those that love their Taycans and will give up their firstborn prior to their beloved car, but need another electric car, what do you drive or what do you have on order?

My wife is car hunting for something we can take ownership of before the year-end, with significantly more storage space. If the Macan EV were available I'd likely order it, but that seems unlikely to be in anyone's hands anytime soon. The quicker we find something, the sooner the Taycan is only driven by me, so this is top priority.

Let's try and be civilized and not turn this into a Tesla bashing; they don't appeal to me, but I'm still happy to hear from anyone happy with theirs.
Jaguar I Pace is a superb car. Also would recommend MG ZS EV which my wife drives & have new updated long range on order. Superb value with all the extras we have in the I Pace &
For those that love their Taycans and will give up their firstborn prior to their beloved car, but need another electric car, what do you drive or what do you have on order?

My wife is car hunting for something we can take ownership of before the year-end, with significantly more storage space. If the Macan EV were available I'd likely order it, but that seems unlikely to be in anyone's hands anytime soon. The quicker we find something, the sooner the Taycan is only driven by me, so this is top priority.

Let's try and be civilized and not turn this into a Tesla bashing; they don't appeal to me, but I'm still happy to hear from anyone happy with theirs.
Jaguar I Pace is a fabulous car. Never had an issue.
Also would recommend what my wife drives currently MG ZS EV. Have a new one on order Long Range with 273 miles. MG comes fully loaded & in our view well worth the it!
Sponsored

Yorkshirepuds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Harley Heritage, Triumph Rocket 3
Country flag
We have a Taycan CT4S and a Mini Electric, we share them both. Two very different cars for different occasions, the mini gets taken out for short trips into town, to the gym or anywhere else relatively close where parking might be more of a challenge. They're both great to drive in different ways, the Mini always makes us smile.

The Taycan's being swapped for a GTS ST later this year and the Mini will be replaced either by the net gen electric Mini or a Boxster electric when it appears.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
Curious how you planned your charging stops? Im planning to drive from South Florida to Mass in my Taycan in May and trying to figure the charging stops.
We didn't. We tried to, at first, but the night before our departure, an ice storm blew through and we elected to stick to more-major roads. That screwed up our entire plan of charging stops. Playing it by ear worked so well on the way down that we didn't even try to plan our return trip.

Along I-95, there are EA stations probably every 50 miles, and EVgos in between the EAs. Most EVgos are only 50kW, but there are a good number of 150s and I think they're even adding 350s.

You might consider taking I-81 and I-75 instead of I-95, though. It adds probably 200 miles to your trip, but there is basically no traffic. Plus, most of the EAs on this route are at Sheetz instead of Walmart. You will still get traffic through metro ATL, but after that it should be smooth sailing until Tampa.

We took 81 south because we were detouring to see family in TN. On the return trip we tried 95, but at Richmond, after being in stop-and-go pretty much continuously from the GA/SC border, we turned west and hooked back up with 81.

The hardest time we had finding a charge was once we were actually at our destination in the Tampa area. You'll have an easier time if SFL means MIA. PlugShare is your friend.

Oh, and if you don't have a TeslaTap (or similar), I recommend getting one. There are actually about as many J1772 chargers as there are Tesla destination chargers, so availability isn't an issue. But on my trip, I never saw a single J1772 rated for more than 7.2kW -- most were in the 4-5kW range -- whereas I saw several Teslas rated at 80A (19.2kW) or more.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
We have a Plaid, Model Y Performance and a Mach-E X.

Still find myself driving the Taycan the most.

DHSMIAMI

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 S Cab
Country flag
We didn't. We tried to, at first, but the night before our departure, an ice storm blew through and we elected to stick to more-major roads. That screwed up our entire plan of charging stops. Playing it by ear worked so well on the way down that we didn't even try to plan our return trip.

Along I-95, there are EA stations probably every 50 miles, and EVgos in between the EAs. Most EVgos are only 50kW, but there are a good number of 150s and I think they're even adding 350s.

You might consider taking I-81 and I-75 instead of I-95, though. It adds probably 200 miles to your trip, but there is basically no traffic. Plus, most of the EAs on this route are at Sheetz instead of Walmart. You will still get traffic through metro ATL, but after that it should be smooth sailing until Tampa.

We took 81 south because we were detouring to see family in TN. On the return trip we tried 95, but at Richmond, after being in stop-and-go pretty much continuously from the GA/SC border, we turned west and hooked back up with 81.

The hardest time we had finding a charge was once we were actually at our destination in the Tampa area. You'll have an easier time if SFL means MIA. PlugShare is your friend.

Oh, and if you don't have a TeslaTap (or similar), I recommend getting one. There are actually about as many J1772 chargers as there are Tesla destination chargers, so availability isn't an issue. But on my trip, I never saw a single J1772 rated for more than 7.2kW -- most were in the 4-5kW range -- whereas I saw several Teslas rated at 80A (19.2kW) or more.
THANK YOU!! Great info. much appreciated. We do the same drive every year but this will be the first time using an electric car. And I do prefer sheets over Walmart lol

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
We weren't ready for two BEVs - I like to combo of Taycan and BMW X5 45e (hybrid). X5 battery is ok for school/shopping runs, and I don't have to do any advance planning if a longer trip comes up.

OP
OP
TomC

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the feedback. We went to look at the Mach-E GT and Jaguar I-Pace earlier. It's hard to get excited when you already have your dream car and you're looking at something that is 75% cheaper, so I mostly looked at the boot space and asked "when you say OTA software updates, explain that to me", both of which sounded suspiciously like Porsche's interesting use of the English language. I'd probably pick the Mach-E, but only because I think it looks slightly nicer.

Sadly Mercedes did not have an EQS and did not expect a demo until March/April time. That's the car that excites me the most, even if I think the exterior looks hideous. I likely won't be driving it, but I will have to stare at it in the driveway. The driveway is in front of my office and that gives me all the votes.

We'll go take a look at a few more options next week.

Fitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayman 981 GT4
Country flag
Had a Tesla M3P and the wife has a i3. The tesla was a good car but lacked any sort of character or feeling of driving. Also looks like a bag of hammered sh1t and almost everyone where I live now has one. The i3 is a funky yolk, unpretentious and zippy, surprisingly practical too.
Porsche Taycan Your other electric vehicle PXL_20210924_071727890

Porsche Taycan Your other electric vehicle PXL_20211218_153935483

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the feedback. We went to look at the Mach-E GT and Jaguar I-Pace earlier. It's hard to get excited when you already have your dream car and you're looking at something that is 75% cheaper, so I mostly looked at the boot space and asked "when you say OTA software updates, explain that to me", both of which sounded suspiciously like Porsche's interesting use of the English language. I'd probably pick the Mach-E, but only because I think it looks slightly nicer.

Sadly Mercedes did not have an EQS and did not expect a demo until March/April time. That's the car that excites me the most, even if I think the exterior looks hideous. I likely won't be driving it, but I will have to stare at it in the driveway. The driveway is in front of my office and that gives me all the votes.

We'll go take a look at a few more options next week.
The Mach-E is a great ride. I have a connection that is getting my father out of his Plaid and into an EQS 580 and he's ecstatic about that. Drove it once and fell in love.

Last edited:

obxckw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
We have an F150 today w/ a reservation in for the Lightning...whenever that happens.

Wibie

First Name
Wim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s. Tesla X
Country flag
We drive already 4 years a Tesla Model X - quiet a different car but we like them both. They have each their character and purpose

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
Nobody mentioned the Ioniq 5 or the EV6. I think those are great alternatives.

Currently we have a '21 X (pre yoke) for long road trips. CT4S arriving next week. A Model 3 long range which will go to my daughter next year. About to sell my '16 X which is surprisingly doing very well on resale value.

I think the Korean brands are worth a look, the styling might be a little too much for some. But the tech and value is pretty good.

-ThinkMac-

Evnoob

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
We have a 2021 eTron and I love driving it. Range is terrible in its class but honestly it’s never been an obstacle. We’ve been to both ends of the country and we just charge it when it’s low.

We looked at the Q4 but my teenage kids were cramped in the back. So that basically ruled out everything in that class VAG or otherwise.

I think this also rules out the macan for us.

we didn’t want to spend ECQ money but they look comparable to the eTron.

saw the Mach e and we’re very impressed. Hated the Tesla iPad interior and the McDonald’s feel of being in a Ford garage but could have been tempted.

the ionic 5 ticks so many boxes but again it’s a little smaller we felt and it wasn’t available to test drive. It looks fantastic and they’ve really thought about functionally and features down to the solar roof.

But in the end, we got a great deal and fell in love with the eTron. It’s not as big in the boot or rear as our old Cayenne but no complaints so far. It’s big enough.

What would worry me about buying an eTron now (and it did even then) though is the resale on what’s clearly a very old model. It’sobviously going to get harpooned by a newer model and it will suddenly appear obselete.

Mind you, it’s a year old and since we bought overstock, and since there’s a worldwide chip shortage it’s value is almost what we paid for it again.

I feel we should jump the eTron ship this year, which might cause us to look again at the Mach e or the Hyundai iconic 5 which looks hard to beat on paper.

I’d love an electric Cayenne! My wife would love an F150 if they become available until the UK, our roads were big enough and we could park it anywhere.

OP
OP
TomC

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Nobody mentioned the Ioniq 5 or the EV6. I think those are great alternatives.
EV6 is one of the cars we're going to test drive this coming weekend. It looks good, the reviews are great, it's got a boot size very similar to a Mach-E and it's cheap at £50k for their (current) top-end model. My wife keeps saying "Great, so you get to tell everyone you drive a Porsche whilst I have a Kia". As Frank Sinatra once said: that's life.
Sponsored