Charger availability sometimes missing from map

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
Usually the current status of each charger in networks Porsche recognises is displayed on the map (eg “5/6” or in the UK more often “0/2” :) ). However today I am finding that all or some of these status indicators are vanishing periodically and I can’t work out why. The chargers are still marked “HPC” but the numbers are gone. Then later they come back.

I’ve tried different zoom levels, different destinations (to a charger and not), and a couple of reboots. LTE is showing as available.

At one point it was showing many of them but frustratingly not the one I was navigating to at the time (IONITY) which was shown only as a flag.

Any thoughts? Is there some toggle switch I have forgotten about? I can’t see any references in the manual. Or perhaps if is an intermittent server problem at the Porsche end?
Sponsored

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Usually the current status of each charger in networks Porsche recognises is displayed on the map (eg “5/6” or in the UK more often “0/2” :) ). However today I am finding that all or some of these status indicators are vanishing periodically and I can’t work out why. The chargers are still marked “HPC” but the numbers are gone. Then later they come back.

I’ve tried different zoom levels, different destinations (to a charger and not), and a couple of reboots. LTE is showing as available.

At one point it was showing many of them but frustratingly not the one I was navigating to at the time (IONITY) which was shown only as a flag.

Any thoughts? Is there some toggle switch I have forgotten about? I can’t see any references in the manual. Or perhaps if is an intermittent server problem at the Porsche end?
I doubt it is some setting on your car. On a recent two day road trip I experienced the spinning wheel of death when the charge planner was attempting to plot charging stops. Even deleting the destination and putting in the next charger would not calculate the remaining battery percentage upon arrival. I made no changes to the PCM and the next day all was well. Related/unrelated (?) to that the map would intermittently fail to display any chargers. Then, for no reason I can determine, the chargers were back. I didn't notice the number of chargers and availability as missing. Porsche server problems?

OP
OP

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
I experienced the spinning wheel of death when the charge planner was attempting to plot charging stops. Even deleting the destination and putting in the next charger would not calculate the remaining battery percentage upon arrival. I made no changes to the PCM and the next day all was well.
I think that is a different bug. I’ve had this half a dozen times. The only way to make it start estimating the arrival charge again is to reboot. Switching the car off for half an hour then getting back in, as you did, will also clear it.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
I think that is a different bug. I’ve had this half a dozen times. The only way to make it start estimating the arrival charge again is to reboot. Switching the car off for half an hour then getting back in, as you did, will also clear it.
Could very well be something different. As far as the reboot - multiple times with no results. Had a Tesla for a while and learned that the reboot was the first thing to try. Taycan seems to be the same. The overnight could have done it though.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Could very well be something different. As far as the reboot - multiple times with no results. Had a Tesla for a while and learned that the reboot was the first thing to try. Taycan seems to be the same. The overnight could have done it though.
It's always good to have a plan B...a little research before driving re: chargers (and/or use of apps on your phone) and Apple Car Play as an alternative way to get to them...that won't prep your battery but it WILL get you a charger!

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
It's always good to have a plan B...a little research before driving re: chargers (and/or use of apps on your phone) and Apple Car Play as an alternative way to get to them...that won't prep your battery but it WILL get you a charger!
PlugShare and ABRP get plenty of use before any trip requiring charging out on the road. Plan B chargers go on my route list - and plan C chargers, just in case. I have taken to ignoring the Porsche charge planner since it intermittently refuses to work, preconditions the battery maybe 1 time out of 3, and every once in a while decides on some very strange routing. The charging stations disappearing aren't a factor given the poor functioning of the car's charge planner.

OP
OP

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
I think we are losing the point of the thread. It’s not planning (I use ABRP etc) but when driving, getting close to chargers and determining whether plan A is viable or to stop at plan B… the car is supposed to show availability in near real time; this thread is about some of that data disappearing (and reappearing) on the nav screen intermittently and unexpectedly.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
I think we are losing the point of the thread. It’s not planning (I use ABRP etc) but when driving, getting close to chargers and determining whether plan A is viable or to stop at plan B… the car is supposed to show availability in near real time; this thread is about some of that data disappearing (and reappearing) on the nav screen intermittently and unexpectedly.
I understand your issue. My point above was that the charge planner as a whole is kind of worthless much of the time. The problem of chargers and their status disappearing is probably a part of the planner's proclivity to glitch. And all of it likely goes back to Porsche's servers, since the in-car software hasn't changed mid-trip. Porsche, or a subcontractor, is responsible for updating the charger status in real time. Seems to me that when you lose the chargers from the map it's the fault of the servers not your car. In the U.S. PlugShare and ABRP are more reliable than Porsche.

A possible explanation could be LTE reception. Not a strong point of the car.

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

I have seen them be missing, along with the parking lot free space indications that are on the map here in the US, and I assume it is just more of Porsche's lack of understanding about the intermittency of cellular data. (I suffer from this a lot as my garage has pretty much no coverage).

When it comes to the charger data, it is also rarely even correct in my experience. Our local charger was offline for a few weeks recently for an update; EA's app reported all locations as down, the car (and Porsche's app) both reported them as all available. Frequently, I'll arrive at a charger that says there are multiple stalls available, to find just one. It seems that either the feed they're getting from Electrify America is delayed, or the feed from them to the vehicle is delayed.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I have seen them be missing, along with the parking lot free space indications that are on the map here in the US, and I assume it is just more of Porsche's lack of understanding about the intermittency of cellular data. (I suffer from this a lot as my garage has pretty much no coverage).

When it comes to the charger data, it is also rarely even correct in my experience. Our local charger was offline for a few weeks recently for an update; EA's app reported all locations as down, the car (and Porsche's app) both reported them as all available. Frequently, I'll arrive at a charger that says there are multiple stalls available, to find just one. It seems that either the feed they're getting from Electrify America is delayed, or the feed from them to the vehicle is delayed.
I gotta admit I rarely bother checking availability..I assume there is some but know my alternatives if my assumption is inaccurate..I've only had an EA locale totally down once (altho I have seen limited availability very frequently - as have most of us here).

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I gotta admit I rarely bother checking availability..I assume there is some but know my alternatives if my assumption is inaccurate..I've only had an EA locale totally down once (altho I have seen limited availability very frequently - as have most of us here).
Our EA location has been pretty good. One unit was consistently derated for some reason, but mostly working. The downtime earlier this month was for a site upgrade. We went from the old 150kW units with the square holes at the top to all new 350kW units (except for the CHAdeMO one). Nice upgrade if they actually deliver that power! Slightly concerned about having only one cable per unit as the one thing I did see there quite often was a single connector marked unavailable. Hoping maybe these new units are more reliable.

OP
OP

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
Porsche's lack of understanding about the intermittency of cellular data.
I think you might be onto something there.

I gotta admit I rarely bother checking availability..
Sadly it is part of the lottery on UK road trips, as IONITY is usually full but if you win a place it is 3/8th the price of the networks run by the big energy companies which are now priced to match ICE costs, unsurprisingly.

Last edited:

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
I principally use Ionity at Cringleford and Baldock and, touch wood, the availability of a spare bay is usually very good. I shall now, no doubt, eat my words when I head off tomorrow!

sjh2405

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Found this thread while searching for answers as to why no charging points are showing up on my navigation, either on the main display or in drivers display. Almost always my navigation does not show chargers, either AC or DC. I can be driving past one that I know is there and is working but it does not show. If I go into the "Find Destination" and select charging points they all appear and even show how many are available. Come back out of that and there's nothing on the map again. On a very, very rare occasion they might appear briefly showing availability but soon disappear again. Sometimes it will show just the charging point "fuel pump" symbol. On my last two longer trips it worked fine on the first trip showing the planned chargers and availability on the route. Next trip a week later it didn't show charger availability. For my day to day use it is not an issue and even when I have done longer trips I have planned in advance however it is really starting to annoy me that the navigation is not displaying what it should be displaying. I have hunted through the settings in the PCM to try and find if I have something set up incorrectly but cannot see any issues.

Any thoughts???

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
Found this thread while searching for answers as to why no charging points are showing up on my navigation, either on the main display or in drivers display. Almost always my navigation does not show chargers, either AC or DC. I can be driving past one that I know is there and is working but it does not show. If I go into the "Find Destination" and select charging points they all appear and even show how many are available. Come back out of that and there's nothing on the map again. On a very, very rare occasion they might appear briefly showing availability but soon disappear again. Sometimes it will show just the charging point "fuel pump" symbol. On my last two longer trips it worked fine on the first trip showing the planned chargers and availability on the route. Next trip a week later it didn't show charger availability. For my day to day use it is not an issue and even when I have done longer trips I have planned in advance however it is really starting to annoy me that the navigation is not displaying what it should be displaying. I have hunted through the settings in the PCM to try and find if I have something set up incorrectly but cannot see any issues.

Any thoughts???
Do I understand correctly that you do have the indication of the charger in the display, but without any information about availability ?

I have that problem nearly all the time as well. It can be visible when starting a longer trip and show availability. But then a map update arrives and after that it is like flipping a coin. Sometimes they are visible but other times nothing. It seems like there is a disconnect between the new map and the database with chargers after updates. I have not found any reliable way of solving the issue. Sometimes a charge stop with a cup of coffee solves it but not always. I have also tried the 12 volt disconnect and that has helped, but that is a lot of work, so not done very often.

I have sent this issue to smartmobility and called them, but no answer and no help. It is logged several times with my Porsche centre as well but no solution.
Sponsored