Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting.
The TSB to dealers for the "remedy" for recall APB5 has not been posted on NHTSA website yet.

The letter says the remedy is expected to take 2 days, although may need to make car available to dealer for longer period of time. I wonder what the reason is for the "longer period of time".
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mike in CA

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Interesting.
The TSB to dealers for the "remedy" for recall APB5 has not been posted on NHTSA website yet.

The letter says the remedy is expected to take 2 days, although may need to make car available to dealer for longer period of time. I wonder what the reason is for the "longer period of time".
I'm going to guess that the "longer period of time" statement was because Porsche was still in the process of deciding how they would handle the battery rebuilds and they wanted to keep their options open. With my GT3 engine replacement there was a question about whether it would be handled by the dealerships or not. I know there was concern about variations in skill levels and training with having dealers do the work. They eventually decided that they would set up a center in the US, shipped the cars there and flew in factory technicians to ensure correct installation and uniform quality. But all that does take more time. With my GT3 the car was gone almost 2 months, IIRC.

I think they are likely doing something similar with the battery recall. My advisor says she will find out where they are shipping the batteries. I did get a basically new Macan to drive as a loaner for the month. Not the same as the Taycan but still a nice vehicle.

IanG

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Interesting, Mike. I got my heater recall a month ago, made an appointment for today and got a call last night from the tech. Told me they didn’t have the part and Porsche had a company-wide “out of stock” situation.
I had made an appointment a month ago to have the passenger heater replaced - called the day before and no part available so made an appointment for yesterday and they replaced it in a day...

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It appears that Porsche has begun the process of replacing battery modules that we first heard about a few months back.

I took my 2021 4S to the dealership yesterday to have the heater recall done and when I got a call from them this afternoon I was expecting to hear that it was ready to be picked up. Instead, my service advisor told me that they have just received notice that Porsche now has the parts to begin replacing the suspect battery modules. Apparently, the battery pack or whatever portions of it are affected by the recall will be removed from the car and shipped to Porsche to be rebuilt. She didn't say where the rebuild was going to occur, but it will be done by factory technicians and the entire process will take about a month. I figured this will have to get done eventually, so I told her to go ahead. At least the remainder of my car will be kept inside the service facility and not outside on the back lot somewhere.

It's funny because I also had a 2014 GT3 which, along with a bunch of other early 2014 GT3's, was subject to an engine recall right after delivery and it was shipped off whole to SoCal for a complete engine replacement. It sounds like Porsche is doing something similar with the battery modules; having factory techs do the work at a centralized location rather than at individual dealerships. Anyway, in some ways, history is repeating itself for me.
Porsche Marin?

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
On the subject of recalls, I checked my VIN on the Porsche site Recall Lookup - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG and I have none yet my selling dealer left me a VM saying I have open recalls for software updates, the massager (which to the best of my knowledge, I don't have) and the passenger heater (which should have been done when it was there a few weeks ago).

I'm going to return the dealers call and see why they show recalls I can't find using my VIN.

OP
OP
Mike in CA

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Update: I checked with my dealer today since it's been almost 3 weeks since I took the car in and the original estimate for work complete on the battery module replacement was one month. I was informed that the battery was shipped early last week to Oklahoma City and the turnaround there is expected to be 4-5 weeks. That means that if everything goes perfectly (when was the last time that happened?) my Taycan will have been gone at least 2 months by the time I get it back. :(

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Re Oklahoma City:
Porsche Taycan Battery Module Replacement Begins 1718996772590-x

2 months out of service is longer than the 2-day repair described in the recall letter to owners.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Update: I checked with my dealer today since it's been almost 3 weeks since I took the car in and the original estimate for work complete on the battery module replacement was one month. I was informed that the battery was shipped early last week to Oklahoma City and the turnaround there is expected to be 4-5 weeks. That means that if everything goes perfectly (when was the last time that happened?) my Taycan will have been gone at least 2 months by the time I get it back. :(
Do you have a loaner?

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The TSB for recall APB5 remedy shows a very convoluted, excess vehicle & battery handling/storage, and time-consuming process for repair. Obviously much better for Porsche (and worse for the owner) than simply replacing the battery.
What we overlooked about the impressive 8-year HV battery warranty is that using warranty coverage means months without the Taycan while it waits sitting on a dealer lot.

D00

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne, Much Missed 911 C4S
Country flag
Utilisation of the ‘unused’ battery capacity is unclear to me. What’s its purpose, when would it be used, does it play a part in meeting battery warranty terms or substituting for duff modules/cells?
Any knowledge welcome.
Sponsored

Last edited: