Bye guys. Thanks for the good times.

groatzky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Taycan 4S (On the way)
Country flag
Charging time ? not really an issue. Comparing 750km similar trips with an ICE / EV, I find a difference of around 20 to 30mn. Not significant on such trips IMHO. Some road work or car accident can very well make loose more than that.
I added 2 hours to a 5.5 hour drive last year because the Electrify America charges were so slow. Getting access to the Tesla network will help here in the US immensely.
Sponsored

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
fast charging is mandatory for long trips. that was my criteria n°1.
I rarely stay more than 15 - 20 mn when charging from 15/20% to 80%.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If I push my Taycan over 150kph I have to stop every 200km which is annoying if charging stations are not on the highway, sometimes I have to go out few km's which adds to the charging time. A 1000km trip means 2 hours extra time and 4-5 stops. Not nice situation if its heavy rain like it happed to me last week.

Charging time ? not really an issue. Comparing 750km similar trips with an ICE / EV, I find a difference of around 20 to 30mn. Not significant on such trips IMHO. Some road work or car accident can very well make loose more than that.

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
I went in the opposite direction from Panamera Turbo S Hybrid to Taycan – and I've never been fully sure if I gave up on the Panamera too quickly. I only owned it for a year (my first Porsche) and that was in 2020 during the pandemic lockdowns.

I myself was toying with the idea recently of moving back to Panamera – but I think I'm just going to stick with my current Taycan for a while more – especially as it is currently working perfectly!

As a long-range road tripper in our Taycan, this paragraph resonated! I'm lucky in that my wife is as into EVs (and has her own city focused Fiat 500 EV) as I am. And participates in the charge planning and hotel picking, etc. I think if this wasn't the case – Taycan ownership as a family thing would be very difficult. You just can't go long distance in an EV yet without some planning.

However, I do feel this is changing and improving dramatically every year here in Europe. Ireland and UK still has some way to go: but my goodness: are you ever more than 10 km from a FastNed station in the Netherlands?

3.8L/100km is very impressive. Once the hybrid battery was depleted in my MY2020 Panamera – the V8 drank petrol :cool:.

It is very frustrating that Taycan unreliability dented your confidence (understandably) in the end – considering the small number of moving parts in an EV compared to the 1000's of oil lubricated parts in a Panamera. But version 1 did really bite many of us.

Sounds like you've ended up with the best Porsche for you and your family's needs. And that ain't bad. It's easy to forget – especially at the prices of these cars here in the EU – that it is a privilege to be able to drive and experience them.
Lot of good points here and agree the car that suits you best is a very personal thing so good luck to the OP with the Panamera. I have a slightly different take on EV trips with the family as I'm finding them less stressful.

I think having a dog and bringing it on holiday is brilliant for EV road trips, in a CT or ST obviously. Every time you stop they need a walk/run to stretch their legs and have a drink so that gets you 5-10 mins of charging time before you go to get a drink/food. Car is always well over 80% by the time you're ready.

Another benefit I have found of EV road trips is that we have fewer arguments over stopping. Our old Q7 could do 1,100 kms at 140kmh and I was happy to sip drinks and drive for 7 hours non stop but the rest of the family was not. Now we all know we're stopping every 2-3 hours and I've learned to accept that and am noticeably less tired on arrival too.

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
Funny thing. I am rejoining the forum again after selling my first Taycan ('21 4S) 2 years ago . We have a '23 Panamera 4 and I just picked up a used '22 Taycan 4 CT (Well spec'd) to give it a try. As some have suggested in this thread, my decision is to use withing a radius of 125 miles with with some excursions beyond that. We finally have Electrify America chargers nearby and a more extensive network of Porsche chargers in the Maryland/Virginia area. But for long range cruising the Panamera is quite comforting with a 600+ mile range. As for the Taycan quirks, mine just completed CPO inspection with all recalls checked off, 5 years of warranty and the 23' software update completed. It appears to be a more well rounded car and I already find the CT liftback to be more practical.
I want to thank all for the great suggestions that come from this forum.

Porsche Taycan Bye guys. Thanks for the good times. 1718710969629-41

Longy_UK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
In the Uk we have a saying - 'Horses for Courses'....

For all of you doing 1000km trips and moaning about a couple of hours of charging its clear you chose the wrong horse for that particular course...

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
Lot of good points here and agree the car that suits you best is a very personal thing so good luck to the OP with the Panamera. I have a slightly different take on EV trips with the family as I'm finding them less stressful.

I think having a dog and bringing it on holiday is brilliant for EV road trips, in a CT or ST obviously. Every time you stop they need a walk/run to stretch their legs and have a drink so that gets you 5-10 mins of charging time before you go to get a drink/food. Car is always well over 80% by the time you're ready.

Another benefit I have found of EV road trips is that we have fewer arguments over stopping. Our old Q7 could do 1,100 kms at 140kmh and I was happy to sip drinks and drive for 7 hours non stop but the rest of the family was not. Now we all know we're stopping every 2-3 hours and I've learned to accept that and am noticeably less tired on arrival too.
There is this balance of driving on longer trips. It is better for all in the car to stop and stretch every couple of hours, no doubt! I remember we had an old Audi that would chime and say that we had driven for 2 hours, time to take a break! Never adhered to it though.

My co-pilot and I can easily drive for 3+ hours before a coffee and biological break. Driving on the French motorways is also a great pleasure when road tripping. Especially mid week outside of holiday periods. Well maintained roads, great smooth road surface and normally quite empty. The speed limit is also great at 130 km/h or 80 mph (plus some vat of course), so the distances are easy to cover. And the charging networks in France have improved immensely over the years. But unfortunately we find the Taycan Turbo runs out of juice to quickly and needs far too many charging stops. We normally try to sty within the 10 to 80% SoC window, which means our practical range is just over 210 km’s , 125 miles. If we could get another 50% on range it would be optimal for us.

Compared to a recent trip in a BMW M5, from Calais to Cannes which is about 1250 km, or 780 miles, the time difference was several hours quicker in the M5. The Taycan normally requires about 6 or 7 charging stops at Ionity or Fastned stations to cover the distance. Some of the stations are slightly off the highway and now start to be occupied a lot. Ionity in particular need to expand their numbers on these popular stretches. 4 chargers are simply not enough and results in a fair few waiting times now.

The M5 required 1 (ONE) single refuelling stop! And no waiting time whatsoever. Normal coffe and lunch stops were also much faster as that all was covered direct at the motorways. And parking just outside the service.

As somebody said “horses for courses”. But I am starting to len more towards an ICE car for our needs now.

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
There is this balance of driving on longer trips. It is better for all in the car to stop and stretch every couple of hours, no doubt! I remember we had an old Audi that would chime and say that we had driven for 2 hours, time to take a break! Never adhered to it though.

My co-pilot and I can easily drive for 3+ hours before a coffee and biological break. Driving on the French motorways is also a great pleasure when road tripping. Especially mid week outside of holiday periods. Well maintained roads, great smooth road surface and normally quite empty. The speed limit is also great at 130 km/h or 80 mph (plus some vat of course), so the distances are easy to cover. And the charging networks in France have improved immensely over the years. But unfortunately we find the Taycan Turbo runs out of juice to quickly and needs far too many charging stops. We normally try to sty within the 10 to 80% SoC window, which means our practical range is just over 210 km’s , 125 miles. If we could get another 50% on range it would be optimal for us.

Compared to a recent trip in a BMW M5, from Calais to Cannes which is about 1250 km, or 780 miles, the time difference was several hours quicker in the M5. The Taycan normally requires about 6 or 7 charging stops at Ionity or Fastned stations to cover the distance. Some of the stations are slightly off the highway and now start to be occupied a lot. Ionity in particular need to expand their numbers on these popular stretches. 4 chargers are simply not enough and results in a fair few waiting times now.

The M5 required 1 (ONE) single refuelling stop! And no waiting time whatsoever. Normal coffe and lunch stops were also much faster as that all was covered direct at the motorways. And parking just outside the service.

As somebody said “horses for courses”. But I am starting to len more towards an ICE car for our needs now.
I am intrigued by what VAT rate you're applying to 130kmh ;) My strategy is more 5-85% but I tend to get 240-260kms between chargers.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My strategy is more 5-85% but I tend to get 240-260kms between chargers.
A bit risky I think, you might end up in troubles. It happened to me when acces to charging station was blocked by road works and had to drive 80kph on highway to reach the next one.

But unfortunately we find the Taycan Turbo runs out of juice to quickly and needs far too many charging stops. We normally try to sty within the 10 to 80% SoC window, which means our practical range is just over 210 km’s , 125 miles. If we could get another 50% on range it would be optimal for us.
Taycan Turbo is very inefficient when you push it a bit harder, especially fast accelerations. Maybe a 4S is more suitable for longer trips and 20 inch wheels.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A bit risky I think, you might end up in troubles. It happened to me when acces to charging station was blocked by road works and had to drive 80kph on highway to reach the next one.

Taycan Turbo is very inefficient when you push it a bit harder, especially fast accelerations. Maybe a 4S is more suitable for longer trips and 20 inch wheels.
Yes the Turbo on 21 inch wheels is a pleasure to drive, when it works, but the battery empties quite fast.

My vat rate is about 15% normally if conditions allow.

My other criteria for fast charging is to only aim for Ionity or Fastned stations. I have been to too many Total Energies and Allego stations that have not delivered even close to their stated capacity, or wanted to start at all. By only planning for charges at this stations will also reduce my practical range somewhat. Ionity network is great in France, but still a bit too few stations.

I often plan with the ABRP app since that gets my actual consumption and adjusts it parameters accordingly.

Here is what the ABRP plan looks like
Porsche Taycan Bye guys. Thanks for the good times. IMG_2108

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Some only have one horse. So have to choose their horse wisely and multipurpose.

Well we actually have two horses. But compared to the Taycan / Panamera, the CLA shooting brake is more like a pony. But off course still gets you were you need to be. And the trunk is the biggest of the three. And for economy is the best too. Only stopping for fuel once for 35 liters 95 oct.

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
Yes the Turbo on 21 inch wheels is a pleasure to drive, when it works, but the battery empties quite fast.

My vat rate is about 15% normally if conditions allow.

My other criteria for fast charging is to only aim for Ionity or Fastned stations. I have been to too many Total Energies and Allego stations that have not delivered even close to their stated capacity, or wanted to start at all. By only planning for charges at this stations will also reduce my practical range somewhat. Ionity network is great in France, but still a bit too few stations.

I often plan with the ABRP app since that gets my actual consumption and adjusts it parameters accordingly.

Here is what the ABRP plan looks like
IMG_2108.jpg
That’s interesting, I started out only IONITY but now Fastned and severa Total/ Engie stations have been superb on 3 or 4 round trips to the Alps. They have all been reliable, fast and are being installed in big numbers so no queuing where Ionity tend to have only 4 or 6 and can get busy.

The key for me is the live feed on available chargers, if that is showing I feel pretty confident to go there.

All these new stations in France allow you to go a bit further between charges instead of being limited by where stations are and stopping too early. Being able to run the charge down lower each and every time can remove a charge over a long journey too. If I can run down to 5% over 4 charges rather than stopping at 20% I’m only spending 90seconds more to recharge that 15% but it has probably taken me 40-45kms every time. Over 4 stops I’m 160-180kms further down the road. That’s a significant gain.

For info I’ve got a 4S on aero 20s for Summer and the standard not very aero Winter 20s.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
We normally try to sty within the 10 to 80% SoC window, which means our practical range is just over 210 km’s , 125 miles.
I would be more 90% to 8% range but would be disappointed if I wasn’t getting at least 335 km range at 130 km/h on the Turbo S.

I increasingly optimise for fewer but longer stops.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would be more 90% to 8% range but would be disappointed if I wasn’t getting at least 335 km range at 130 km/h on the Turbo S.

I increasingly optimise for fewer but longer stops.
That is a very good range for your car. Let me just check that you men you can drive 330 km on a charge from 90% down to 8%? And at speeds that are close to 150 km/h? My car will not do that though.

I think the last time I tried a 100% charge I saw 350 km total range. But I have never been able to get that in real driving. Maybe my battery has more problems or is just more degraded than I think?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
That is a very good range for your car. Let me just check that you men you can drive 330 km on a charge from 90% down to 8%? And at speeds that are close to 150 km/h? My car will not do that though.
Yep, but speeds are 130 km/h – even if I can "get away with it" – I don't speed when a guest in another country.
Sponsored