tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
By the look of it maybe!! I'm at 6K miles and tired look brand new!!
I changed my 20" Michelin Pilot Sport 4 NF0 (from factory) with 21,000km on them with 40% even wear for my winter tyres. It looks like I'll get around 40,000 km maybe a little bit more out of a set. Happy with that if true,
Sponsored

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
You not only have an alignment issue, you also have a warranty claim. There is no way in hell that a tire can wear on the inside unless alignment was incorrect when it left the factory.
Eh, I'm not going to try and argue a warranty claim on a consumable. I'll save that battle for something that deserves it.

I'm still considering ordering a fresh one in Guards Red anyway.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
So (it would seem like) the tires on a RWD EV take it from both directions…acceleration and regenerative braking. I don’t know how much the front motor participates in regen on the Taycan, but maybe that’s a factor? Just a hunch, I have no data (empirical or otherwise) to back that theory.
My assumption was that my RWD will eat rear tyres more quickly and fronts very slowly compared to AWD versions.

Has been the case with all my other cars when comparing RWD and AWD, so not expecting anything different for the Taycan.

Had not thought about regen maybe enhancing that. Good point.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
I forget the thread on this forum but there was a recommendation to go gently on the tyres for first 500km (i.e. probably not the showing off launch control to your mates as soon as back from the dealer ?). Not saying that would have prevented the very aggressive wear pattern the OP has though.

I’ll do it though, probably be a safe thing to do given once I’ve sold my iPace I’ll be renting something basic so could be more shocked by the perf than I would have been….

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
My tesla dealer warned me for this when I got my model X. He advised me to regularly check the inside of the rear tyres for wear and not check them on the outside only.
He explained that because these electric cars are very heavy in combination with the high initial torque, the weight of the car strongly shifts to the rear of the car while accelerating. In combination with the air suspension the rear suspension is pushed deeper, causing more wear on the inside of the tyres.

I assume it is even worse if combination with torque vectoring.

I did not option air suspension and torque vectoring on my taycan. Less money to pay on options AND on tyres, :)

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Eh, I'm not going to try and argue a warranty claim on a consumable. I'll save that battle for something that deserves it.

I'm still considering ordering a fresh one in Guards Red anyway.
Guards Red is not an available color for Taycan AFAIK. Although I like that too.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
Jeez that’s some wear ?

Thankfully given tyres are included in my lease costs, for once I can pedal to the carpet and enjoy ?

Michelin are superb, hope mine comes with them ?
I think we may work for the same company and have the same sal-sac deal (via Tusker?) from your previous posts. Part of my cost/benefit analysis with the slightly toppy lease payment was how many sets of 21” P-zeros I can get through in 4 years and 70,000 miles to balance the equation in my favour. ?

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ll do it though, probably be a safe thing to do given once I’ve sold my iPace I’ll be renting something basic so could be more shocked by the perf than I would have been….
I mis-timed the sale of my AMG by a few months and ended up with the free use of a friend’s mother’s 1.0 Zetec Fiesta manual to run around in. Which, in and of itself, was actually quite a hoot as it can spend a lot of time in tripod mode at legal speeds. However, morning one in the Taycan when it arrived was a rapid and salutary realignment of my perception of speed and acceleration!

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
I think we may work for the same company and have the same sal-sac deal (via Tusker?) from your previous posts. Part of my cost/benefit analysis with the slightly toppy lease payment was how many sets of 21” P-zeros I can get through in 4 years and 70,000 miles to balance the equation in my favour. ?
Well I have been sent photographic evidence of a mamba CT4S in the multi-storey ?

So you may very well be right!

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well I have been sent photographic evidence of a mamba CT4S in the multi-storey ?

So you may very well be right!
Boom! It’s in there right now… (you’ll have fun with the outer ramps in there. It’s tight - surround view camera is a big help)

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
Boom! It’s in there right now…
My mate was car spotting and sent me a photo last night ?

You better run Tusker a huge Pirelli bill!

To the OP, i had premature wear on my Alfa Giulia’s discs and pads, I eventually got them to admit liability and cough up. New discs at 10k miles was unacceptable and even though they tried to fob me off, got there in the end, several owners had noted the same issue.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My mate was car spotting and sent me a photo last night ?

You better run Tusker a huge Pirelli bill!
I’m on it. 3500 miles in and doing my best to turn them back in to their constituent parts.

Apologies for the thread drift…

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Guards Red is not an available color for Taycan AFAIK. Although I like that too.
PTS is available for 2022! I definitely would have gotten it up front if I'd known when I got my 2021.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
With us being on longer service schedules than ICE, it's easy to overlook issues that a service advisor would have caught. For example, I left the house this morning and got a low tire warning. The pressure dropped visibly before my eyes so I turned around and got it into the garage safely.

I had no idea the tires were this worn at ~10500 miles.

I'll have to call roadside assistance for this one. :(

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 8.13.48 AM.png
Lots of flat out driving in Sport Plus suspension setting is my guess.
The rear P Zeros on my Ferrari last around 3000 miles before they are at UL legal minimum traed.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Dealer recommends alignment based on the wear and while I'm not thrilled at the extra charge I guess it's for the best given that wear pattern.
Sponsored