11:17 Braking & Skidpad Intro
12:24 Wet Braking & Skidpad
13:16 Dry Braking & Skidpad
14:19 Track Laps Intro
15:50 Wet Lap Times
19:37 Dry Lap Times
22:48 Conclusions

Tires Tested
Bridgestone Turanza EV(Grand Touring All-Season, 235/40R19 96W)
  • What We Liked: Quiet, smooth, and responsive.
  • What We'd Improve: More steering feedback, lateral traction, and composure.
  • Summary: A capable touring tire that would benefit from some added tweaks.
Continental ProContact RX (T1)(Grand Touring All-Season, 235/40R19 96W)
  • What We Liked: It was well-balanced for the vehicle and comfortable on-road.
  • What We'd Improve: Its wet performance could use a smidge better cornering.
  • Summary: A purpose-built tire that makes a strong argument for O.E. fitments.
Goodyear EcoReady(Grand Touring All-Season, 235/45R18 98W)
  • What We Liked: It's quiet, plush, and sips energy.
  • What We'd Improve: The steering needs refinement.
  • Summary: It's an average touring tire in a field with strong competition, but buoyed by its efficiency and comfort.
Goodyear ElectricDrive 2(Grand Touring All-Season, 235/40R19 96W)
  • What We Liked: The quietest, most comfortable tire on-road in the test.
  • What We'd Improve: Its steering and traction feel out-of-step with one another.
  • Summary: For a regular, straight-line commuter tire, it stands out above the crowd, but its driving characteristics, when pushed, have room to improve.
Hankook iON evo AS(Grand Touring All-Season, 235/40R19 96W)
  • What We Liked: It's good on the road, light on energy usage, and can perform when pushed in the dry.
  • What We'd Improve: Wet surfaces present a challenge.
  • Summary: A mixed bag that shines in the right situations while leading in efficiency.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S(Max Performance Summer, 235/40R19 (96Y))
  • What We Liked: Steering, handling, balance, there's little it doesn't excel at.
  • What We'd Improve: Some additional low-speed weight in the steering.
  • Summary: A titan of its category, for good reason, it is unreservedly great.
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4(Ultra High Performance All-Season, 235/40R19 96Y)
  • What We Liked: A solid performer in the wet.
  • What We'd Improve: Road comfort and performance could both use a bump to stay competitive.
  • Summary: The competition is strong, and it's the least efficient tire we tested.
Pirelli P Zero (PZ4)(Max Performance Summer, 235/40R19 96W)
  • What We Liked: A fun ride without sacrificing too much comfort on-road.
  • What We'd Improve: Perhaps a hair more immediacy in the steering.
  • Summary: It's a great tire to drive.
Yokohama ADVAN Sport EV A/S(Ultra High Performance All-Season, 235/40R19 96Y)
  • What We Liked: Very nice on the road.
  • What We'd Improve: Wet traction needs work.
  • Summary: It's comfortable enough, but it struggles to stand out in a competitive environment.
Vehicles Used
2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Sponsored

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Ev tires are a lot of marketing. No big surprise that the small mileage, and sound gains come at a cost of performance and safety. The results speak for themselves with the non ev tires taking all the top spots for wet and dry braking and handling.

One additional point their test didn’t evaluate was also tire life to which I believe is also a sacrifice that EV tires make in the name of those small efficiency gains. Going with shorter tread blocks improves rolling resistance ( due to less rubber deformation) but means your tires aren’t going to last as long, and perform worse in the wet.

Speaking of other compromises, The reduced road noise is often achieved with less lateral siping to block noise transmission from the inner tread but this also inhibits water evacuation which further explains the overall poor wet performance of ev specific tires. Hankook and Conti are pretty good examples of this.

On the other hand, foam inserts for noise reduction are a good, no compromise solution, as long as the tread pattern wasn’t compromised.

tldr; ev specific tires aren’t optimized for performance

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
When I had to change my tyres the only ones I could locate were in NA0 (for a 911) spec. I much prefer the grip and steering precision that the NA0s give over the NF0s and am happy to give up what I estimate to be around 6 or 7% of range for that extra grip.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I was disappointed from a UK perspective that the tyres were almost all US type all-seasons which I am told are different to the same name used in Europe and, indeed, none of these looked like the tyres sold as all-season here.
That meant only the summer tyres were of any relevance to me.

I am pretty happy with the Goodyears on my car and will replace like with like, not least because fronts and rears rarely need replacing at the same time.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
Full 2024 test report: https://bit.ly/4erNLqp

00:00 Introduction
01:39 On The Road
09:51 Consumption
11:17 Braking & Skidpad Intro
12:24 Wet Braking & Skidpad
13:16 Dry Braking & Skidpad
14:19 Track Laps Intro
15:50 Wet Lap Times
19:37 Dry Lap Times
22:48 Conclusions

Tires Tested
Bridgestone Turanza EV(Grand Touring All-Season, 235/40R19 96W)
  • What We Liked: Quiet, smooth, and responsive.
  • What We'd Improve: More steering feedback, lateral traction, and composure.
  • Summary: A capable touring tire that would benefit from some added tweaks.
Continental ProContact RX (T1)(Grand Touring All-Season, 235/40R19 96W)
  • What We Liked: It was well-balanced for the vehicle and comfortable on-road.
  • What We'd Improve: Its wet performance could use a smidge better cornering.
  • Summary: A purpose-built tire that makes a strong argument for O.E. fitments.
Goodyear EcoReady(Grand Touring All-Season, 235/45R18 98W)
  • What We Liked: It's quiet, plush, and sips energy.
  • What We'd Improve: The steering needs refinement.
  • Summary: It's an average touring tire in a field with strong competition, but buoyed by its efficiency and comfort.
Goodyear ElectricDrive 2(Grand Touring All-Season, 235/40R19 96W)
  • What We Liked: The quietest, most comfortable tire on-road in the test.
  • What We'd Improve: Its steering and traction feel out-of-step with one another.
  • Summary: For a regular, straight-line commuter tire, it stands out above the crowd, but its driving characteristics, when pushed, have room to improve.
Hankook iON evo AS(Grand Touring All-Season, 235/40R19 96W)
  • What We Liked: It's good on the road, light on energy usage, and can perform when pushed in the dry.
  • What We'd Improve: Wet surfaces present a challenge.
  • Summary: A mixed bag that shines in the right situations while leading in efficiency.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S(Max Performance Summer, 235/40R19 (96Y))
  • What We Liked: Steering, handling, balance, there's little it doesn't excel at.
  • What We'd Improve: Some additional low-speed weight in the steering.
  • Summary: A titan of its category, for good reason, it is unreservedly great.
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4(Ultra High Performance All-Season, 235/40R19 96Y)
  • What We Liked: A solid performer in the wet.
  • What We'd Improve: Road comfort and performance could both use a bump to stay competitive.
  • Summary: The competition is strong, and it's the least efficient tire we tested.
Pirelli P Zero (PZ4)(Max Performance Summer, 235/40R19 96W)
  • What We Liked: A fun ride without sacrificing too much comfort on-road.
  • What We'd Improve: Perhaps a hair more immediacy in the steering.
  • Summary: It's a great tire to drive.
Yokohama ADVAN Sport EV A/S(Ultra High Performance All-Season, 235/40R19 96Y)
  • What We Liked: Very nice on the road.
  • What We'd Improve: Wet traction needs work.
  • Summary: It's comfortable enough, but it struggles to stand out in a competitive environment.
Vehicles Used
2023 Tesla Model 3 Performance
What is *seriously* lacking in this review for us Porsche drivers is the lack of specifications for these tires regarding high speed driving. I think it is true that past the century mark, some general purpose tires simply disintegrate or explode. We need assurance that at plus 90 speeds the tires are safe and effective. Maybe a tire expert on the forum can chime in on the point.

mattmatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT
Country flag
What is *seriously* lacking in this review for us Porsche drivers is the lack of specifications for these tires regarding high speed driving. I think it is true that past the century mark, some general purpose tires simply disintegrate or explode. We need assurance that at plus 90 speeds the tires are safe and effective. Maybe a tire expert on the forum can chime in on the point.
The last three characters in the tyre spec give the weight and speed rating. Eg W rating is for up to 168mph. Have a search, there are plenty of charts in line.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
being on a factory visit and training at Pirelli lately, we learned that the N-Spec (or whatever OEM spec) tires are completely different from normal one with same size and load and speed index.

And the OEM sets the desired specs and Porsche will never focus on mpg of course.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
And the OEM sets the desired specs and Porsche will never focus on mpg of course.
Actually mpg (or EV range) which they can claim/advertise is a priority. Price is likely a higher priority for all OEMs, including Porsche.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
The last three characters in the tyre spec give the weight and speed rating. Eg W rating is for up to 168mph. Have a search, there are plenty of charts in line.
good. I still think speed rating should have come into the analysis and been discussed.
Another concern - given the ponderous weight of EVs, should stopping distance and tire fatigue come into it as well? It’s somewhat like putting rubber tires on an Abrams tank! Imagine! 😊 Shouldn’t response to the weight of these vehicles come into it? How about the effect on sidewalls when engaging in spirited driving?
At any rate, I had forgotten about speed ratings on sidewalls. Thanks for the reminder.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
Look at the new BMW M5, which is some 200 kg heavier than the Taycan! And that was presented with Michelin Pilot Sport S 5 tyres. Weight is not the problem.
Maybe the rolling resistance is the differentiator

liam_b

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
At 9:22 in the video, the guy seems to be saying they're testing the ELECT PZ4, "in this size".

I'd say that's a good result for being the EV versions.
Sponsored