Johnnyk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The entire battery was replaced, obviously under warranty. US cost at dealership $53,000….

update: I’m very happy with the new range which is consistently about 300 miles! Below is a screen shot of current range; it’s about 85f in Houston today. Observed range is very close to the forecast.
Porsche Taycan High Voltage Battery replaced 1694784713903
Sponsored

caytan

First Name
Zim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 4S
Country flag
This is why Taycan used values and other EV's are tanking. $53k!!!! Good luck out of warranty. Horrendous.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
This is some good range. I just charged to 85% and I am new at 1000 miles and I am showing 237 mi at that level. I understand that this reported range improves with more miles.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
The entire battery was replaced, obviously under warranty. US cost at dealership $53,000….

update: I’m very happy with the new range which is consistently about 300 miles! Below is a screen shot of current range; it’s about 85f in Houston today. Observed range is very close to the forecast.
1694784713903.png
wow nice range I only get about 165 at 85% wondering if my battery is shot too

Porsche Taycan High Voltage Battery replaced IMG_2700

violuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RWD
Country flag
This is why Taycan used values and other EV's are tanking. $53k!!!! Good luck out of warranty. Horrendous.
You're talking about a distorted market, because there are no Taycans out of battery warranty on the planet. The cost of repair or replacement of batteries will alter radically once there is an actual market with multiple suppliers.

caytan

First Name
Zim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 4S
Country flag
You're talking about a distorted market, because there are no Taycans out of battery warranty on the planet. The cost of repair or replacement of batteries will alter radically once there is an actual market with multiple suppliers.
I don't think so, you can see it in residuals that Porsche themself set for Taycan. They likely know they have battery issues which will devalue cars significantly. Most EV's residuals are very low and they tank on used car market, guess why? It ain't electric motors...

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't think so, you can see it in residuals that Porsche themself set for Taycan. They likely know they have battery issues which will devalue cars significantly. Most EV's residuals are very low and they tank on used car market, guess why? It ain't electric motors...
Dude, give the axe grinding a bit of a rest. You’re just speculating, and you’re biased by your personal experience with an early Taycan. The market will address the issue, for the simple reason that there will be money to be made.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
For my 2021 4s the battery warranty is 8 years or 80,000 miles. The specific "Excessive Loss of Capacity" wording is --

Excessive Loss of Capacity If a capacity measurement performed at a Porsche authorized dealer shows, at the times specified below, that net battery capacity is less than the percentages specified below (the “Warranted Value”), any percentage that falls below the relevant Warranted Value constitutes “excessive loss of capacity”:
• 100% of net battery capacity on the date the car is first delivered to the first retail purchaser or the date it is first used as a demonstrator, lease, or company car, whichever comes first.
• 80% of net battery capacity within the first 3 years/37,500 miles, whichever occurs first.
• 70% of net battery capacity within the first 8 years/80,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

For 2024 the battery warranty is better at 10 years or 80,000 miles. The specific "Excessive Loss of Capacity" wording is the same as the above for 2021.

Personally I'm good with this. If I feel that battery capacity is an issue for me but not covered by warranty I can always get a new Taycan.

Regarding your comment about "tanking" -- The resale price of Taycans are all over the map and reflect the same depreciation levels for other high-end luxury sedans. No one who buys a Taycan, or a Panamera, or a Cayenne, or a Macan is getting an appreciating asset.

Prices were high for a long time due to the war in Ukraine among other supply chain issues. What we are seeing now is "normal depreciation" in every sense of that word - not a reaction to some inherent issue with the Taycan.

violuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RWD
Country flag
I don't think so, you can see it in residuals that Porsche themself set for Taycan.
That is literally impossible, unless you have a sonic screwdriver and a British phone booth. Nobody can know what the market for battery replacement on these cars will look like 5 years out when significant numbers of the early ones start coming off battery warranty.

They likely know they have battery issues which will devalue cars significantly.
I don't know what the exact numbers are, but hopefully you will agree that a very high percentage of EVs on the road are Teslas. Everything I have ever read indicates that battery longevity in older Teslas has exceeded everybody's expectations. So I do not agree with you that fears of battery failures are the most significant driver of expected residual values at the end of leases. Rather, ...

Most EV's residuals are very low and they tank on used car market, guess why? It ain't electric motors...
I don't think the answer to that question is anywhere nearly as straightforward as you seem to. Other possibilities:
  • Early adopter premium that is standard on all new technology
  • EV or not, this is a luxury sport sedan - they always have and always will depreciate faster than other brands, due to the elasticity of demand of their target market
  • Charging infrastructure (outside of Tesla) is worse than purchasers initially expect, causing otherwise irrational early bailouts
  • I have no idea how many other buyers are like me, but I don't want the car you speced. I want the car I speced. The used Taycan market, unless I have a doppelganger somewhere that also likes deep violet and is not a fan of leather or quasi-autonomous vehicles, is of only academic interest to me.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just picked up my car after having the software updates and recalls done. As soon as I slid into the drivers seat I was reminded of why I love this car. The drive home was just perfection. It is a spectacular car. Hoping it stays trouble free.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wait a minute. Aren't you the one who doesn't have hisTaycan's software updated, aka 'don't mess with a good thing'?
Yeah. The only reason I brought the car in was because I thought I had a problem with the transmission. They did all the updates while it was being diagnosed. So far all is good.

Kiran1980

First Name
Soo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

1694784713903.png
Unbelievable!! How on earth you get 258miles on 85percent charge? Mine is Turbo S and the maximum I get on 100percent charge is 208miles!