Is it worth getting the car ceramic coated ?

tez1

First Name
t
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
I have just got my car back after ceramic coating and I am really pleased with the results. It really makes the car stand out and it looks a lot better than when I collected the car from OPC. I would say it is worth it.
May I ask how much £? Thanks, looks beautiful.
B4A5B788-933C-42AF-8074-7432D4966A99.jpeg

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
...and it gives us "eco-criminals" a good excuse to keep our garage heated:
..and it gives us "eco-criminals" a good excuse to keep our garage heated:

Porsche Taycan Is it worth getting the car ceramic coated ? 20210106_143313-
Nice instruction and nice setup.. It is scary how bad the paint can be after the Porsche prep before delivery. A lot of fillers used.

but do we not only have an “”eco criminal”” here but also a chemical risk zone? Wow!??

Just to make sure everybody follows the good advice here and on other forums. If you ever are offered the professional stuff for ceramic coating, be careful unless you are really experienced. If you mess that up you need to wet sand the car to get the stuff off!

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
...and it gives us "eco-criminals" a good excuse to keep our garage heated:

Nice instruction and nice setup.. It is scary how bad the paint can be after the Porsche prep before delivery. A lot of fillers used.

but do we not only have an “”eco criminal”” here but also a chemical risk zone? Wow!??

Just to make sure everybody follows the good advice here and on other forums. If you ever are offered the professional stuff for ceramic coating, be careful unless you are really experienced. If you mess that up you need to wet sand the car to get the stuff off!
Its the exact same stuff. Retail coatings are just thinned out a bit to make the application a bit easier. Otherwise there is zero difference in the chemical composition. Of course, the detail shops will insist otherwise... ;-)

It might take us two (properly timed) coats to do what the thicker stuff can do in one, but the results are the same. The part that generally impresses customers so much is the underlying paint prep that most good shops will do. If you take the time to do that yourself, your results will be just as good (or better) than the corner detail shop. Many folks who have a "meh" experience with retail compounds simply didn't take the time to do the surface prep...

TaycanCM14

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR Sport, Audi SQ5, Taycan 4S (December 2020)
Country flag
Tez1 - I paid £460 and that included the wheels. It took about 2.5 days to do.

Casparado

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxter GTS (2015); May 2021: Taycan
Country flag
Reading this I'm wondering what is wrong with me if I just pick up my 2021 4s this month and drive it home? PPF, ceramic coating, tinting... My dealer wrote me: " Our dealership offers Ceramic Window tint ($1,475), PPF ($4,200 Full front end), and Cilajet Ceramic Coating ($1,895 Exterior & Interior) which I can have completed ahead of your visit." Call me careless, but for $136,260.00 delivered I don't plan on doing things Porsche would have done at the factory if crucial. Am I so wrong?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Reading this I'm wondering what is wrong with me if I just pick up my 2021 4s this month and drive it home? PPF, ceramic coating, tinting... My dealer wrote me: " Our dealership offers Ceramic Window tint ($1,475), PPF ($4,200 Full front end), and Cilajet Ceramic Coating ($1,895 Exterior & Interior) which I can have completed ahead of your visit." Call me careless, but for $136,260.00 delivered I don't plan on doing things Porsche would have done at the factory if crucial. Am I so wrong?
I wouldn't have the dealer do ANY of it.

That being said, I always have PPF and Window Tinting planned and scheduled well ahead of taking delivery of any new car. At the shop of MY choosing...

I also very much look forward to doing the Ceramic Coating myself but that can't be done until AFTER the PPF is completed.

I once tried to do window tinting myself. ONCE. It was a complete and total failure. So much titing film gave its life in vain that day! If I can't even do a nice flat window surface with tinting film there is no way I would even consider trying PPF...

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That also sounds pretty expensive! I just pulled my checking receipts...

I use one of the best PPF/Tint shops in the Milwaukee area. These guys (Blackout) are very good and I typically have to schedule at least a month or two in advance. Always lots of VERY cool cars in there getting done.

It cost me $2400 dollars for both PPF on the entire front clip and tinting the windows. Your numbers come up to $5675 for the same process as subcontracted by your dealer to be done by "who knows who"...

Oh, and $70 for a little bottle of CQuartz UK 3.0... (plus a personal labor of love)

Casparado

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxter GTS (2015); May 2021: Taycan
Country flag
That also sounds pretty expensive! I just pulled my checking receipts...

I use one of the best PPF/Tint shops in the Milwaukee area. These guys (Blackout) are very good and I typically have to schedule at least a month or two in advance. Always lots of VERY cool cars in there getting done.

It cost me $2400 dollars for both PPF on the entire front clip and tinting the windows. Your numbers come up to $5675 for the same process as subcontracted by your dealer to be done by "who knows who"...

Oh, and $70 for a little bottle of CQuartz UK 3.0... (plus a personal labor of love)
We live a three-hour drive from any large city area, so are pretty helpless when it comes to finding our own ceramic coating dealer. Plus the Covid. Plus also doing several overnights if needed. Strong argument in favor of dealer getting it done for me. Thinking of the ceramic coating only -- price seems reasonable. My current 2015 Boxter GTS has been washed regularly, but otherwise not waxed or treated, and it still looks fantastic. Thanks for your comments.

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
I had front PPF film (Suntek-$1500), full window tint with windshield(Spectra Photosync-$800) and 2 coats of Ceramic Pro($300) applied 2 days after purchase. This is absolutely necessary on any high dollar car.

Will maintain with Reload or Chadwick's Triple Play after every other wash.

Piper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Turbo S, 2018 BMW M5, 2012 Audi R8, 2012 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I'm with Casparado. I consider Ceramic coating and PPF options. They are relatively inexpensive, less in cost than the tax on the vehicle. I'm sure he can find cheaper installers but how long are you going to look for a dime in the ivy.

Snorkel1974

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Jaguar XJL, VW T6, Mini JCW Paceman
Country flag
I have just got my car back after ceramic coating and I am really pleased with the results. It really makes the car stand out and it looks a lot better than when I collected the car from OPC. I would say it is worth it.
B4A5B788-933C-42AF-8074-7432D4966A99.jpeg
Do you mind letting me know how much (Approx) it cost to have that done ? Thinking of getting mine done. Locally and be good to have a benchmark price ! So I don't have my arms and legs chopped off :0)

TaycanCM14

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you mind letting me know how much (Approx) it cost to have that done ? Thinking of getting mine done. Locally and be good to have a benchmark price ! So I don't have my arms and legs chopped off :0)
I paid £430 and that included the wheels. They sent me a video of it being done and will post that when I get a minute.

I have driven it a bit in the rain and it still looks pretty clean, so it seems to be worth it so far.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
Nice result! And the price seemed very decent as well. Congratulations on a nice car.

Nice to see a young guy starting up his own business to do this type of work.

Seems to be a nicely equipped facility with lights and all as well.

TaycanCM14

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice result! And the price seemed very decent as well. Congratulations on a nice car.

Nice to see a young guy starting up his own business to do this type of work.

Seems to be a nicely equipped facility with lights and all as well.
Thank you Peter.

Yes, it’s good to see young people taking the plunge and starting their own business. I try to support small businesses where possible.
Sponsored