Talisker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo S, 20 Taycan Turbo, 23 Taycan Turbo S ST
Country flag
I'm getting a new Taycan STTS to replace my old 2020 Taycan Turbo, they have offered a protective film or ceramic coating are they worth the money?
The ceramic coating is £1,000 ?
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
At the least, I would get the front end filmed. Protects against rocks.

sergey_ja

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
hey, my optimal (not the cheapest, but reasonable) combo is:

1) front PPF (bumper, frunk, front wings including charging ports). NB: do not wrap the headlights, they crack as it creates cooling issues.
2) light polish + ceramic coat over the body + wheels
3) Acquapel (or similar) for glass surfaces.

Works a charm and a great way to end up with a reasonably protected car. Front ppf is almost a must, Taycan picks every rock thrown at it due to the front being low and wide, ceramic coating alone won't do anything against stones, unfortunately.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
The standard factory-fitted pieces of PPF on the rear doors ahead of the rear arches are inadequately small, I got mine replaced with full door panel pieces (the only panels I didn't get PPF'd are the pano roof and everything behind the rear doors.

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I had the front of the car PPF’d by a third party after seeing the finish of the factory option. Too many edges on view.

I’d definitely recommend a ceramic coating as well. Cleaning is a breeze and brings the look of the car back to the collection day finish each time.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I've got the factory ppf. Can't say you can see it unless you're trying to look for it. Seems to work fine in my experience.

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Going to do full PPF on mine. £4.4k cost though. eek. Many seaguls near me and I prefer their crap eats the PPF and not the paint when Im not around to clean it off!
Have ceramic coating on the RS currently.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have the full car PPF and 5 coats of ceramic, each year they do a 'refresh' for $300. The total PPF was $9K and ceramic was $2,500. Quite steep, but worth every penny IMO. I've had the car for 3 years, had a couple large rocks hit the hood that would have required a repair/repaint and I just had to replace the PPF. Also had a shopping cart hit the car pretty hard in the rear (while I was in the car), and nothing.

Everyone remarks on how the car always looks clean, even after snowstorms, melting gunk on the road, etc. All I need to do is wipe the car with a wet towel. The PPF all around gives me peace of mind every time I park in a public lot. I do plan on keeping the car for probably 7-10 years, so I believe the investment is a good one.

ps - I would NEVER have the dealer do this. Find the absolute best shop in your area, and talk to them.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
I'm getting a new Taycan STTS to replace my old 2020 Taycan Turbo, they have offered a protective film or ceramic coating are they worth the money?
The ceramic coating is £1,000 ?
Front half PPF is required if you are at all picky about stone chips. I've taken several hits to the front bumper in only 6,000 miles that would have been into the primer if not for the PPF. Replaced the bumper PPF on my Tesla after 3.5 years and 27,000 miles (over half on the highway). The paint under the old PPF was like new. Worth every dollar/pound. It's a good idea to look at the work being done by whoever will do the PPF. Are they wrapping the edges wherever possible or taking the quick route and trimming. Big difference when the edges start to accumulate a dirt line.

Ceramic provides almost no impact protection. Might add a little shine, might not be better than wax in that regard. What it does do is protect against the little tiny marks/scrapes from washing and drying the car, dirt comes off much easier, water rolls right off. Not sure of the price you were quoted. Prep is what takes time and if your paint doesn't need a lot of correcting then that cost seems high. If you are handy and have a place to do it ceramic is DIY.

CraigUrch

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
I got mine fully wrapped in PPF and then applied a ceramic coat onto the PPF. I agree with Vim don't use the dealer for the PPF find the best detail shop in your area and have them apply the PPF. The cost for the PPF here was 5.5k to fully wrap but worth every penny. What the ceramic on the PPF buys you is UV protection which extends the life of the PPF.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
I have ceramic coating and it makes the car super easy to wash and get back to showroom shine

however I’ve got a nasty stone scratch on the middle of the front bumper which really annoys me after just 1500miles and I wish I’d got PPF for the front bumper

The Riddler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
hey, my optimal (not the cheapest, but reasonable) combo is:

1) front PPF (bumper, frunk, front wings including charging ports). NB: do not wrap the headlights, they crack as it creates cooling issues.
2) light polish + ceramic coat over the body + wheels
3) Acquapel (or similar) for glass surfaces.

Works a charm and a great way to end up with a reasonably protected car. Front ppf is almost a must, Taycan picks every rock thrown at it due to the front being low and wide, ceramic coating alone won't do anything against stones, unfortunately.
+1 on this advice, absolutely spot on… if you are in the SE of UK then dm me for a recommended installer, I’ve been super impressed with the work i received…

McQueen

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST, 356A, 997GT3
Country flag
I got front , lower part of the doors, mirrors with xpel ppf for stone chips.

i have applied ( by myself) Carpro Cquartz 3.0 UK on the non filmed parts.
for the ppf, i have applied gyeon Q2ppf evo.

if you have time and patience to do it, worth it.

Ceramic coating makes the car super easy to wash.
it doesn’t protect from stone chips or scratch ! This is important to understand

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
£1,000 is a lot for Ceramic only. I had a C63 ceramic coated and it cost £500. My PPF (front end and mirrors), plus everything ceramic coated was £1,500
Please can you tell me who did this for you?
Sponsored