Is the Taycan quieter than the Boxster, for road noise especially?

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've had my Boxster 981S for many years, and while it's still a joy to drive in the city and almost everywhere else, making it my commuter car (after not wanting to deal with a separate car during the pandemic anymore) is kind of killing it for me.

During my long freeway commute, it's just loud in the Boxster. And it's not even so much the engine (though at the near constant speed I drive on the freeway the constant drone from the engine isn't that fun either), but mostly road and wind noise.

It's loud enough to make listening to music challenging, and I've sadly given up on trying to listen to podcasts. I realized that I arrive home more stressed than I should be.

So maybe it's time for a change, and I'm looking to buy a Taycan (not set on the model yet), with the following options as absolute Must Have:
  • Thermally and noise insulated glass,
  • Adaptive Cruise Control,
  • Burmester.
I don't expect any miracles, this is still a performance car after all and not a cushy Mercedes S class, but just a significant reduction in road and sometimes wind noise would be sufficient. Enough to comfortably listen to a podcast even if the pavement is a bit rough (still freeway pavement, I am not talking about dirt roads, but on my freeway some long stretches of the pavement are not of the super smooth dark colored kind).
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
massively more quiet - not only because it's an EV - but porsche knows how to do sound control - the interior cabin was a massive upgrade vs. my Model 3 Performance for road-noise and wind noise, even more so if you spec thermal/noise glass option.

I would not be surprised if Taycan offers one of the quietest cabins available in the entire industry.

you will not be disappointed.

OP
OP
magnitude

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
massively more quiet [...] I would not be surprised if Taycan offers one of the quietest cabins available in the entire industry.
Man, you're really watering my mouth there. Keeping at least some of the insane precision of my current Porsche, but being able to just drive home in peace in the evening, really sounds like a dream...

I see you're in North California as well, so maybe you know what I'm talking about. Long stretches of freeway here seem to effectively be missing the uppermost layer, and are light-colored and "stripy".

My commuter Ford Focus had no problem with that, but in my Boxster it's loud. Not that the stretches of dark, smooth pavement are that quiet in that car either...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Man, you're really watering my mouth there. Keeping at least some of the insane precision of my current Porsche, but being able to just drive home in peace in the evening, really sounds like a dream...

I see you're in North California as well, so maybe you know what I'm talking about. Long stretches of freeway here seem to effectively be missing the uppermost layer, and are light-colored and "stripy".

My commuter Ford Focus had no problem with that, but in my Boxster it's loud. Not that the stretches of dark, smooth pavement are that quiet in that car either...
vs. a boxster it's honestly no contest - not even in the league - instant EV torque (plenty of it) - sports sedan functional/practical - lower center of gravity than a GT3 or your Boxster - lowest center of gravity in porsche's street legal fleet (according to porsche) - charge at home so no more gas station visits - and easy peasy to drive with very little drama other than what you bring to the party as the driver - and quiet as is practical given external factors - but it's a bigger car vs. your boxster and while it's awesome it's still heavy - but in my mind it's a nearly perfect daily driver vs. most/all alternatives (honestly I prefer most any EV in daily driver duties)

you should test drive one - but be prepared to write a check at the end of the drive.

the 4S/GTS/Turbo is the sweet spot in my opinion - hard to go wrong with any of those trim's.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've had my Boxster 981S for many years, and while it's still a joy to drive in the city and almost everywhere else, making it my commuter car (after not wanting to deal with a separate car during the pandemic anymore) is kind of killing it for me.

During my long freeway commute, it's just loud in the Boxster. And it's not even so much the engine (though at the near constant speed I drive on the freeway the constant drone from the engine isn't that fun either), but mostly road and wind noise.

It's loud enough to make listening to music challenging, and I've sadly given up on trying to listen to podcasts. I realized that I arrive home more stressed than I should be.

So maybe it's time for a change, and I'm looking to buy a Taycan (not set on the model yet), with the following options as absolute Must Have:
  • Burmester.
I don't expect any miracles, this is still a performance car after all and not a cushy Mercedes S class, but just a significant reduction in road and sometimes wind noise would be sufficient. Enough to comfortably listen to a podcast even if the pavement is a bit rough (still freeway pavement, I am not talking about dirt roads, but on my freeway some long stretches of the pavement are not of the super smooth dark colored kind).
No comparison needed. 981S is an aural delight and the Taycan is whisper quiet

I just sold my 981S of 12 years...I miss it deeply.

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
Long stretches of freeway here seem to effectively be missing the uppermost layer, and are light-colored and "stripy".
Ugh. Don't get me started on the poor, poor quality of road work these days. I'm like an old grandpa yelling at clouds, but honestly, most of the work on these freeways is so uneven and shoddy, clearly whatever money was spent was not enough, or more likely, too much but not put in the right place/squandered/pilfered. There is NO pride in workmanship anymore. Workpersonship. Try riding some of the freeway sections on a sport-tuned motorcycle. Your head will be hanging by a thread by the time you arrive. Really, really joy-killing. And shouldn't be this way.

BUT. The Taycan is quiet, composed, controlled, precise, powerful and downright comfy. You. Will. Be. Happy.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is the Taycan quieter than the Boxster, for road noise especially?
yes.
definitively.
objectively.
subjectively.
no question.
not a fair comparision.
moving on now…
next question?

OP
OP
magnitude

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If it wasn't for a long freeway commute, the Boxster would still be perfect for me (and likely I'd just switch to the EV version some day). In the city or on country roads, the noise is not a problem at all. It's pleasant and I can still listen to music or whatever.

But at freeway speeds, the road noise is just killing me, and let's face it, overall I spend most of the time in the car driving from and to work on a freeway.

So I think I'm just in the situation where I'm more than willing to give up some of the insane handling for much needed comfort, and some fun torque on top. I hear that the Taycan's handling is still fantastic, and that I won't give up on the precision that is probably my favorite thing about the Boxster.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If it wasn't for a long freeway commute, the Boxster would still be perfect for me (and likely I'd just switch to the EV version some day). In the city or on country roads, the noise is not a problem at all. It's pleasant and I can still listen to music or whatever.

But at freeway speeds, the road noise is just killing me, and let's face it, overall I spend most of the time in the car driving from and to work on a freeway.

So I think I'm just in the situation where I'm more than willing to give up some of the insane handling for much needed comfort, and some fun torque on top. I hear that the Taycan's handling is still fantastic, and that I won't give up on the precision that is probably my favorite thing about the Boxster.
it's a porsche - but not a boxster for handling - it's not "tossable" - but still very very good

it's the best sports sedan on the market (EV or otherwise)

but it's not a 2 seater roadster with a short wheel base…

but better ride quality than a boxster also - it's a razor-sharp/quick - porsche sports sedan - nothing is in it's league sports sedan wise

but boxster is a mid-engine master piece

but if you want to cruise hwy 1 north or south at 100 mph between santa cruz & monterey in near complete silence this is the car for you - ask me how I know - and I'll plead the 5th…

two very different target markets - each product excels in it's market place - but it's like comparing a mobile phone to a tablet - both are excellent - but one is not the other.

OP
OP
magnitude

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Now the real challenge starts, which is finding a CPO Taycan with the Burmester option. That was even more challenging when I bought the Boxster about 7 years ago (kind of obvious for that car), so much that I gave up on requiring it.

It was the one, single option that I regretted not getting after all (when driving in the city or country), and I won't make that mistake again...

diononiz

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab. 2019 BMW X5 4.0i
Country flag

• Burmester.
I had a 2020 992 Carrera S cab and one of the reasons, I traded it for a Taycan turbo was the road noise. With the soft top (even though its double insulated) I could barely use the car's bluetooth (PCM) for calls as there were so many complaints of background noise. It is going to be a huge difference especially if you opt for the noise insulated class option.

OP
OP
magnitude

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
With the soft top (even though its double insulated) I could barely use the car's bluetooth (PCM) for calls as there were so many complaints of background noise.
Same. And I read that the Cayman is even louder than the Boxster, despite lacking the soft top, but for having "more of the car" in the cabin with you.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is my write up of the Taycan @ laguna seca from 2 years ago

but you can "listen" to the lap video - windows down if you want a sense of how quiet this car is - when driving it at laguna I can "hear" the grip level of the tires due to the lack of noise

windows are down because it's a requirement - otherwise you'd hear next to nothing.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...d-on-driving-lap-data-impressions-added.2923/

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Now the real challenge starts, which is finding a CPO Taycan with the Burmester option. That was even more challenging when I bought the Boxster about 7 years ago (kind of obvious for that car), so much that I gave up on requiring it.

It was the one, single option that I regretted not getting after all (when driving in the city or country), and I won't make that mistake again...
Bose is the BEST bose Porsche has ever done in one of their vehicles - they hit it out of the park for the Taycan custom work they did -

I'd sample a bose system in a Taycan with some of your favorite tracks before mandating a Burnmeister
Sponsored

Reactions: or1