January Delivery @Jacksonville Port (US Southeast destination)

OP
OP
Prit

Prit

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, Aspiring GTS ST owner.
Country flag
SA still hasn’t changed course and is still proceed mostly south at 220 degrees.

So I resurrected some stuff I had long since forgotten. Assuming SA turns onto a great circle route sometime in the next 12 hours its heading, right after the turn, will be:

Halifax 291 to 292
Jacksonville 281 to 282

If it does this in the next 24 hours or so and maintains 15kn it will have no problem reaching Halifax by 12/18. If it turns out that it is going to Jacksonville then it will have no trouble getting there by 12/21.

The Halifax route takes its pretty much into bad weather and the Jacksonville route skirts just barely around it.

I think I am bit anxious to get my Taycan :)

We will just have to wait and see where SA goes.

1639267172415.png
I think SA would need to "announce" a change of ports, no? If this is the case, we can assume nothing has changed since they haven't "announced" a change.

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I think SA would need to "announce" a change of ports, no? If this is the case, we can assume nothing has changed since they haven't "announced" a change.
I don't know the procedures involved but the next port is part of the AIS data (data sent to the Automatic Identification Systems satellite).

For sure the Captain has to notify the port (and the owner) of a change if they are going to be late or not go to the port but my guess is that putting that change into the AIS is a manual process that nothing important depends on. The captain would use the radio or satellite phone to notify the port and owner. If you poke around the ships at sea will find quite a few that don't even fill out the next port info.

The position, speed and bearing are pretty important because other ships depend on that for safety. But I think the ships nav system automatically updates the satellite.

So my guess is that next port and date are pretty much a guess.

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
SA’s current position is about 38N 21W 239 degrees 14kn

I’ve been tracking SA and given it’s current position and direction it is not traveling in a direction that would take it to Halifax. I don’t see how it can get to Halifax by Dec 18 at 18:00 (local). It seems like it will be at least a full day late of that.

The short distance to Halifax is a great circle route, and at the present that is not the route SA is on. It should swing to about 293 degrees to be on a great circle to Halifax.

I think the reason it seems to be seems to be going in the wrong direction is that it is trying to avoid head winds it would run into if it had a more northerly course. That’s just a guess though.

Porsche Taycan January Delivery @Jacksonville Port (US Southeast destination) 1639401903007

NoRPM22

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Volcano Grey
Country flag
No posts here for the last 12 hrs. Is the ship still heading this way? :fingerscrossed:

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I did a little data processing just to try to see when my car will be here. What I did is compute the route (Halifax, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Veracruz) that I think SA is on. From that I computed the time SA will arrive at the ports on the route, with some time allowed for unloading. I did the computation for average cruising speeds 10kn through 16kn.

The gotcha’ is that it assumes that SA uses a great circle route. It isn’t now so the arrival time in the chart below shows the earliest time SA could arrive. Each row in the chart is a different cruising speed and each column represents a port.

For example if SA was on a great circle route right now (it isn’t) and was traveling at 13kn and took 12 hours to unload it would arrive at Baltimore on Wed 22 Dec 19:48 EST.

I’ll update as SA progresses and make special update once SA is on a great circle route (if I am awake :) )

Porsche Taycan January Delivery @Jacksonville Port (US Southeast destination) 1639452155753

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
BTW, SA is currently shredding! It is running at 15.2kn and it's max is 15.5kn.

It also just posted a new Halifax latest possible arrival time of 19 Dec 5:00 EST which is pretty close to what my table says for an average speed for an average speed of 13kn

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
This morning SA is west of the Azores and is ripping along at 17.5kn! But is still is not on a great circle route so the table represents the earliest it will arrive, not actual arrival.

Porsche Taycan January Delivery @Jacksonville Port (US Southeast destination) 1639482167946

Porsche Taycan January Delivery @Jacksonville Port (US Southeast destination) 1639482196663

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Dan, I am sure everyone here agrees your analysis is informative, entertaining and appreciated. Out of curiosity, are you in the automotive or shipping industry?

Hoping the weather clears up in Halifax for its arrival.

Dan1923

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Dan, I am sure everyone here agrees your analysis is informative, entertaining and appreciated. Out of curiosity, are you in the automotive or shipping industry?

Hoping the weather clears up in Halifax for its arrival.
No but in the distant past I did learn about navigation and could even shoot a position with a sextant. My background is computers; designing, programming, and teaching. I’ve even designed a sound processor for the music industry and I’ve done a lot of data processing.