List your replacement EVSE for the NHTSA ID 23V-841 campaign

TxnBluDvl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven't decided yet. Anyone look seriously at the J+ Booster?

https://jplusbooster.com/
I have one of these. I really like it. High quality. Just works. Don’t use the app. But I got it on discount (Amazon lightning sale) — it was otherwise quite expensive for what it is.

I have six EVSE’s — an old school Enel Juicebox, a new Enel Juicebox, a Tesla UMC, a Rivian mobile charger and the Porsche one being recalled here.

This one is my favorite and the one we use daily.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Minnesotan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2022 Targa 4S, 2018 E300
Country flag
ChargePoint Home Flex Level 2 Wi-Fi Enabled EVSE.
* Full 40 amp support and 23 foot cable
* Well-regarded brand / well reviewed / 3 year warranty
* NEMA 14-50 plug versus needing an electrician to hard-wire
* Fits exactly under the $600 reimbursement cap with tax :)

https://a.co/d/8cDFBDB
I also purchased the ChargePoint Home Flex (from Amazon). Love it! The Porsche EVSE looks cool, but I had to have it replaced due to frequent ground faults. The replacement still occasionally ground faults and when it does, my Taycan is not charged, and to my dismay in the morning I find my "tank" near empty. 😒 The ChargePoint just works.

Warrior 6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2021 Audi E tron
Country flag
I didn't see a thread for this yet but I'm sure someone will point it out if it exists.

Since Porsche is offering up to $600 reimbursement for EVSEs while we wait for the Porsche provided ones to be fixed, what have you chosen to purchase as a result of this recall campaign and why?

I went with the Grizzl-E Mini. Here's why...
  • portable (I already have a wall charger)
  • up to 40A charging (many portable EVSE top out at 32A)
  • NEMA 4X rated which is similar to IP66 I believe
  • Lots of safety features (over current, over voltage, under voltage, missing diode, ground fault, and over temperature protections. Self-Monitoring and recovery, power outage recovery. Built-in GFCI.)
  • 24' cable is pretty long and should get my car connected almost anywhere
  • 5 different connectors for flexibility (NEMA 14-50, NEMA 5-15P, NEMA TT-30P, NEMA 14-30P, NEMA 6-50P)
  • Made in Canada (happy to support our friends to the north)
I couldn't find anything that stated what the wire gauges are so hopefully I can determine that when it arrives tomorrow.
I did a bit of research as did my son. Decided on the ChargePoint Flex, plug-in variant. Purchased at Lowes used my military discount (10%). I am using it to charge my Porsche and my wife's Audi etron, which has the same recall. System seems to work fine. Nice app, somewhat simple, little data, nice looking and practical wall housing and the cable is the best I have seen. Satisfied.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Since Porsche is offering up to $600 reimbursement for EVSEs while we wait for the Porsche provided ones to be fixed, what have you chosen to purchase as a result of this recall campaign and why?
After a lot of reading and looking through multiple reviews, I ordered a Grizzl-E classic this morning. It seems rugged and simple, and should fit well into my existing garage setup (existing Hubbell location and space on the wall). I really do like the Porsche PMCC and plan to leave that mounting hardware up alongside the Grizzl-E until the new cable arrives (someday).

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
After reading the horror stories here (and since my electrician installed a Leviton receptacle despite my request for a Hubbell), I got an Autel Maxi US AC something or other. Tl;dr: it works well, but next time I’d go for something else (CP, Wallbox or Grizzl-e).

I liked it for its purported support for OCPP, thinking I’d like to have a “charging server” that aggregates data from the car and the evse, as well as its connectivity options (wifi and ethernet). The second place was the Grizzl-e, but reviews indicated its WiFi (only) connectivity is flaky, owing to its metal encasing and cheap radio.

The Autel is bulky, and they pulled support for the programmability aspect. There are no specs, and apparently someone on reddit managed to brick theirs. I wasn’t motivated enough to dig deeper, though I understand ehy manufacturers would rather avoid users mocking with the code of a 240V appliance.

I am keeping my PMC+ in the car at all times, with both 120 and 240 cables. I’ve had to use it several times on vacations to remote places (~50 miles from home) and never had any problems - this is usually outside, in a colder climate, and with plenty of time (so i leave it at 50% in the summer).

Kaytan

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
ChargePoint Home Flex Level 2 Wi-Fi Enabled EVSE.
* Full 40 amp support and 23 foot cable
* Well-regarded brand / well reviewed / 3 year warranty
* NEMA 14-50 plug versus needing an electrician to hard-wire
* Fits exactly under the $600 reimbursement cap with tax :)

https://a.co/d/8cDFBDB
Same here! $599 incl tax on Amazon.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I bought a plug in Juice Box, paying $499 + tax from COSTCO. I sent in my recall request for the $600 reimbursement. My son got the hardwired Juice Box version previously and he had no issues.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
I went with the Grizzl-E Mini. Here's why...
  • portable (I already have a wall charger)
  • up to 40A charging (many portable EVSE top out at 32A)
  • NEMA 4X rated which is similar to IP66 I believe
  • Lots of safety features (over current, over voltage, under voltage, missing diode, ground fault, and over temperature protections. Self-Monitoring and recovery, power outage recovery. Built-in GFCI.)
  • 24' cable is pretty long and should get my car connected almost anywhere
  • 5 different connectors for flexibility (NEMA 14-50, NEMA 5-15P, NEMA TT-30P, NEMA 14-30P, NEMA 6-50P)
  • Made in Canada (happy to support our friends to the north)
I couldn't find anything that stated what the wire gauges are so hopefully I can determine that when it arrives tomorrow.
Just curious what your initial impressions of the Grizzl-E Mini are ? I'm looking for one that can stay in the car and It's nice it comes with the various NEMA adapters.

I've had 4 different EVSEs so far, Schneider, Tesla, Autel and ChargePoint. IMHO, Tesla was rock solid and I never had an issue. The worst has to be ChargePoint Home Flex. Mine lasted only 10 months before the WiFi module malfunctioned. Dealing with Tech Support was terrible until ChargePoint Tech Support bricked my unit by remotely resetting it. Unfortunately, if the unit can't connect to WiFi you cannot even go through the set up. After many hours on the phone, Chargepoint finally sent me a replacement 3 months later. Couldn't wait that long and purchased the Autel which has been trouble free so far...knock on wood...

vks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan 4S
Country flag
For those who bought (or are buying) the ChargePoint charger, did you consider getting the NACS version as that is the future standard, even though we'd need an adapter (~$60 cost I believe) for our current cars?

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Porsche EVSE looks cool, but I had to have it replaced due to frequent ground faults. The replacement still occasionally ground faults and when it does, my Taycan is not charged, and to my dismay in the morning I find my "tank" near empty. 😒
I don’t use my PMCC (was a forced option in MY2020), but one time I plugged it in to L1 / 110 V and checked out the web interface. I recall seeing an option to disable ground sensing. Perhaps it was in the service menu instead of the regular menu. If I remember this afternoon I’ll try to find it again and post a screenshot.
Edit:
Per the PMCC web interface, "deactivating the ground monitoring is only possible directly on the charger". I can't find the setting on the charger because it's not connected to a vehicle so the charging settings menu is disabled.
Porsche Taycan List your replacement EVSE for the NHTSA ID 23V-841 campaign Image 2-25-24 at 6.48 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Just curious what your initial impressions of the Grizzl-E Mini are ? I'm looking for one that can stay in the car and It's nice it comes with the various NEMA adapters.

I've had 4 different EVSEs so far, Schneider, Tesla, Autel and ChargePoint. IMHO, Tesla was rock solid and I never had an issue. The worst has to be ChargePoint Home Flex. Mine lasted only 10 months before the WiFi module malfunctioned. Dealing with Tech Support was terrible until ChargePoint Tech Support bricked my unit by remotely resetting it. Unfortunately, if the unit can't connect to WiFi you cannot even go through the set up. After many hours on the phone, Chargepoint finally sent me a replacement 3 months later. Couldn't wait that long and purchased the Autel which has been trouble free so far...knock on wood...
So far so good with the Grizzl-e Mini. I have been using it since Friday to charge my car to see how it performs (also to burn it in as issues with electronics tend to show up quickly). Here's what I like so far:
  • There is a web interface that you can use to see stats and to modify behavior but it is not required. There are dip switches inside the unit that can be changed to limit max Amps.
  • Using the web interface, you can adjust max Amps in 1A increments. The unit was running pretty warm at full 40A (not the connectors, just the main box) so I dropped the max to 38A and it cooled down significantly. The 2A less charging power doesn't mean a whole lot from a timing perspective but I think the significant reduction in heat will treat the device well over time.
  • The cord is long so it should work really well as a travel adapter
  • It comes with 4 pigtails that accept the NEMA 14-50 on one end and plug into whatever the appropriate outlet is on the other end. No switching cables at all, just a plug and play adapter
  • The carrying case is a few inches shorter than the one for the PMC+. The 2 other dimensions are just about identical.
  • The unit can attach to my home wifi but it doesn't have to. It also creates its own wifi network that you can attach to just to control the unit or to see the important metrics (temp, amps, volts, cost, etc.)
  • Both plugs (wall side and car side) stay nice and cool.
The only thing that I question is whether it could really crank the full 40Amps in the summertime heat of TX without tripping the overheat circuit. I have no doubt it would be fine at 38A as it is set right now. The main cords on the wall side and the vehicle side are both 10AWG but that seems to be what just about everyone is using.

Marmolata

First Name
RJS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
And… just a few days later… this!
IMG_7891.jpeg
do you have to plug the "nozzle" back into the unit? i need something where i can store nozzle away from the main unit . the light on chargepoint makes it seem like nozzle has to return to base when not charging?