Loud noise coming from car while charging!

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just plugged it back in, so I can check the battery temperature. I'll let you guys know. But when it happened last night, it was not after a drive. I hadn't driven the car all day. It had just been sitting in my cool garage, all day.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm going to monitor the battery temperature. What's a normal temperature range? How high is too high?

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I'm going to monitor the battery temperature. What's a normal temperature range? How high is too high?
I have mine set to Celsius, and the manual has zero info on this topic. Right of center is fine/normal. 3/4 (from left to right) is ‘hot’ - what you’d see with a preheated battery for fast charging. Further right than that is probably dangerous territory - and I’d assume there is a warning light on somewhere.

Assuming there are no warnings or errors on after you start the car, and that the battery temp is normal then I’d say the fan starting (upon plugging in on L2) is not a critical condition, and most likely a software bug. If the fan runs when the car is on (even while not charging), then perhaps it’s a mechanical fault - a thermostat failed to ‘open’. In either case it should be safe to drive- how long depends on your level of comfort.

blame.latitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, GTS ST
Country flag
I wonder if your vehicle has experienced a heater failure? They use the heat pump for both heating and cooling, both inside the car and the temperature management of the battery pack. My suspicion is that the battery is hot and its trying to cool itself down but it's not working.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
When I charge my car at some point as the battles heat up my fan comes on and it is a bit loud. Maybe not as loud as your but it may seem louder to us given the recording. Still does not hurt to have it look at just to be safe.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just got back from about 150 miles of driving. The fan came on while driving, super loud. According to the temp reading on the console, the battery temp never went over 87 degrees. Something is wrong. I'm going to call the dealer on Monday. Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm surprised to hear that nobody else has seen this issue, but I guess that's a good thing for the Taycan community as a whole!

Mai Tem Baht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think I can shed some light on this:
I have exactly the same problem with my 4S which is two years old. It's happened about 6 times. Sometimes the noise of the fan has been worryingly, extremely loud. Sometimes quieter, but still quite loud.

It has happened both during charging in my garage and also after I've arrived home and parked in my garage, in which case the fan ran for about 30 minutes. Note that it is not possible for me to have been driving fast on my way home and the drive home was only about 16kms/10mls.

In all cases, no warnings were indicated in the display and the battery temperature was normal.

My dealership is going to investigate during the car's first service in a few weeks' time. The dealership is 850 kms/530mls away in Bangkok; that's why I haven't had them look at it before now.

I will report back here as soon as I have news. If you find out what the issue is before I do, please let me know.

Thank you.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
As pointed out previously, it does not nec need to be a long trip to have the cooling system work harder immediately after a drive - ambient temps, driving style, initial, sustained and final HV battery temp etc can all conspire to produce high system temps that the car then tries to occasionally ‘aggresdively’cool.

Will be interesting to hear if there is actually an issue with either of your cars (OP’s may have) or if just SOP!
Best of luck.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Any news from your dealer?

I'm convinced, based on your description, that we have the same fault/problem/issue.
Sort of. They can’t see the car for a few weeks, but told me that it was still safe to use the car. I’ll let you know what they say when I bring it in.

Mai Tem Baht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sort of. They can’t see the car for a few weeks, but told me that it was still safe to use the car. I’ll let you know what they say when I bring it in.
Thank you!

I also don't yet have a date for my first service but I'm expecting it to be in 2-4 weeks.

My dealership, who've sold hundreds of Taycans, are telling me they have never heard of this problem before.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Thank you!

I also don't yet have a date for my first service but I'm expecting it to be in 2-4 weeks.

My dealership, who've sold hundreds of Taycans, are telling me they have never heard of this problem before.
I feel like that's always the answer I get.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Ok, my dealer finally looked at the car. They said the fan noise was from "rocks and debris" on the fan. They said that the fan was operating at normal speed, but was loud because it was dirty. They claim to have fixed it by cleaning the fan (for a charge of $500). I haven't gotten the car back yet, so fingers crossed that this actually fixed it.
Sponsored