chun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020, Cayman GT4
Country flag
Surprisingly the new Taycan is not much better in terms of efficiency than BMW i5 which is on ICE platform EV and a bigger car. Where are the Porsche drive train improvement efforts?
It's not gonna happen. Probably taycan is the first and last car on this platform.
For Macan they used PPE (made by audi - premium platform electric - suposedly modular), and for 718 they use a new EV platform also...

I wonder if there ever will be a taycan 2... or if they'll just make the panamera electric fully, since they have said that all lineup will be EV by 2035.

Blume has said the electric 718s are planned for a new sports car platform, likely incorporating lessons learned from the 982-generation Cayman-based Mission R all-electric race car concept (above). We won't be surprised if they carry styling similarities/influences from the Mission R, as well as its similar 900-volt fast-charging architecture and high-output dual electric motors. In terms of dynamics, this will notably be the first Boxster/Cayman generation featuring all-wheel drive.
So probably the new platform from / based on Mission R will be more efficent, as it is ground up 900V, no more 12v, 48v, all kind of shit... newer motors, less cables, newer battery chemistry, smaller more aerodynamic shape.
Sponsored

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Fast cars are not efficient. Fact. Gt3 Rs is rated 14 city 18 hwy. That’s worse than an F150 pick up with a bigger motor. You have to pay to play.

Reactions: Gru

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
“<my favorite cat maker> is better than <your favorite car maker>”.
One thing that absolutely pisses me off about these threads is the selective logic: perf doesn’t matter, because we’re not all driving our cars on the track, but efficiency/range absolutely matters, because we all drive exactly <range +10> miles daily. (And then someone comes along to say “I do drive that much daily, each way.”)

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
ModelBattery kWhkWh/100kmrainy range mileskm
Taycan PB+
97​
16.4​
368​
592.1​
Tesla Model 3 Long Range
75​
13.2​
352​
566.4​
BMW I5 M Sport Pro
81​
17.0​
296.3​
476.7​
BYD Seal
82.5​
16.5​
310​
498.8​
Polestar 2 Long Range
79​
14.8​
332​
534.2​
Mercedes EQE 300
89​
15.5​
357​
574.4​

for the metric part of the forum :)

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
This is a good test/review method, it shows the real world range differences, in real world conditions at exactly the same time (crap UK roads, traffic, rain/cold, 5x stops to swap drivers etc) not just what manufactures spec sheets say. The cars all have different focuses and target markets and therefore different strengths/weaknesses (performance, price, comfort etc) but this aspect was not the point of the review.

I've only once seen average efficiency starting whit a 3 in my 4S CT, on a warm day, with warm battery, averaging 40-50mph over a long distance, I typically see 2.3-2.7 on normal motorway trips like the test. Taking into account 4S vs RWD, and CT vs saloon, I'd be thrilled to get 3.anything on a regular basis.

It would have been nice if they put a Gen1 Taycan RWD in the test.

I really don't get all the negatively re Gen2, the Taycan has just come first in a realistic real world max range test!! As somebody who does 20k miles per year in their car this is good news.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I agree with the comments that Porsche has increased battery to get this result. Not worth any upgrade from a j1.
I do think it is important to recognise that this larger battery was achieved only by greater energy density (improved chemistry) packed in the same physical space as the previous battery and even a few kg lighter.

For me – its just good to see – we're at the start of a long road of battery density improvements.

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I really don't get all the negatively re Gen2, the Taycan has just come first in a realistic real world max range test!! As somebody who does 20k miles per year in their car this is good news.
Agreed. Also the near removal of the requirement for battery pre-conditioning will deliver a lot of real-world benefits to its owners.

Navigating on road-trips by Apple/Google/Whatever app becomes viable.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I've only once seen average efficiency starting whit a 3 in my 4S CT, on a warm day, with warm battery, averaging 40-50mph over a long distance, I typically see 2.3-2.7 on normal motorway trips like the test. Taking into account 4S vs RWD, and CT vs saloon, I'd be thrilled to get 3.anything on a regular basis.
Indeed- after 2 years, my Turbo CT is claiming to have averaged 3.15 mls/kWh HOWEVER I assume that it's still wildly overstating the actual economy, as when I downloaded all the trip data after one year- having noticed that the majority of my individual trips were at much less than 3.0 mls/kWh- I calculated that I'd actually averaged only 2.74!!!
Aside from a few cosmetic disappointments, I welcome all the incremental improvements of the new version- the only showstopper for me isn't peculiar to the facelift, it's that the Taycan has turned out to be too much of an extravagance (for me as an outright purchaser of the original version).

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
I don't buy Porsche for the better consumption Ev or Ice machine. I buy it for better solid feel and refinement + conering. It must somewhere to be trade off if an auto need better consumption (i.e thinner panels less sound proofing, etc). I only drive over 400km in a day twice a year.

Last edited:

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Agreed. Also the near removal of the requirement for battery pre-conditioning will deliver a lot of real-world benefits to its owners.

Navigating on road-trips by Apple/Google/Whatever app becomes viable.
very good point, less/no energy pre-heating the battery for fast charing will be an improvement to range on long trips.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Aside from a few cosmetic disappointments, I welcome all the incremental improvements of the new version- the only showstopper for me isn't peculiar to the facelift, it's that the Taycan has turned out to be too much of an extravagance (for me as an outright purchaser of the original version).
I agree it is now a very big ask for an individual purchaser, I run mine through my business so get a big saving on the depreciation, especially based in Scotland where the top income tax rate is now 48% :angry:. If I was a private buyer I'd wait for a nice used example.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
You can’t judge range without judging performance. The only reason Tesla gets better range is because it doesn’t perform on the track.
The tested versions aren’t intended for the track, but when the performance versions of both cars were in actual races, ironically the Taycan wilted first, losing to the Model 3P.

Back on topic, while the Taycan’s efficiency has been improved, it still trails the best in the industry regardless of the Taycan’s 2-speed transmission.
Sponsored