Hazmo

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Hi. I’ve just purchased a new Taycan 4S Cross Turismo to replace a BMW iX. My home charging set-up is an Ohme ePod charger and Intelligent Octopus tariff . The car doesn’t connect directly to the Octopus App. The charger connects to the app as a device and the car connects to the Ohme app. The Ohme app then manages the intelligent Octopus charging. So far, I’ve tried the Ohme app with charging profile (11.30-05.30), charge rate limit (7.5p/kW) and combinations of both including both off. I’ve also set timers and profiles various on the Porsche app and tried various combinations. To date, no combination has worked to charge the car, without intervention. Every option has resulted in a notification on the Porsche app saying Charging Error. I then have to go outside, disconnect the charging cable, reboot the charger, reconnect the cable. The car will then charge. When there’s a timer profile, the charge stops at 5.30. When there’s no timer profile, it continues charging. I’m perplexed. It was way simpler with the BMW. All I want to do is plug the car in, set the charge maximum to 85%, and then the charger will do whatever it needs to do, at whatever time, to provide the charge at the lower charge rate. If it can’t meet the full 85% within the low rate window, then it just charges as much as possible. If the 85% is reached before the end of the low charging window, it stops charging. Any advice on settings for the Ohme, and Porsche app would be appreciated, otherwise I’ll be getting out if bed at 11.30 every night!
Sponsored

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
Have you had any joy with this?

im having similar problems with my Ohme home pro and am completely losing faith in it. Support from ohme has been appalling and finally speaking yesterday they talked me through a new set of steps so that the ohme app controlled it all. Plugged in tonight, chatting error but showed charging to start at 21:15. It actually did but has just failed again.

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
And now at charger, despite saying charging error on car, it’s saying delayed till 22:15

Porsche Taycan Newbie Home Charging Issue (UK) IMG_4920

Rossmeldr

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s sport tourismo
Country flag
Have you tried, from inside the car, set a profile, location- independent,
Min charge 85%, optimised charging.
Delete all other profiles and have no timers. Then use the ohme app alone to set the charging times.
Issues occur when the car tries to draw a current, it knows it’s plugged in, because of a timer set in the car, but the wall box won’t supply the charge as it’s outside of its charging window. Setting the profile to optimised tells the car to accept charge when the wall box sends it.

OP
OP

Hazmo

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Hi

I’ve yet to achieve any consistency. In the last 4 weeks I’ve only managed 4 charges which worked correctly. Last night I had the My Porsche app reporting a charging error. When I went to check the car at around midnight it was charging fine so no idea what’s going on. My current set up is as follows:

My Porsche app - charging profile minimum charge 85% and optimised charging. Timer profile max 85% charge by 6.00am on daily repeat.

Ohme app - car added but not logged in via My Porsche login. No timers or schedules and price cap disabled. I also unplug and reset the charger from the app pretty much every day and if all else fails, I turn off the MCB protecting the charger for 10 minutes then turn on again.

Ohme app configured for Octopus Go Intelligent tariff.

I’ve tried many different combinations of price caps, Ohme schedules, Porsche timers and profiles and what’s frustrating is that on occasion, it works on the first night but not the next yet nothing has been changed.

Ohme asked me to provide images of my installation which I did over a week ago. Still waiting for a response from their technical team. Based on my experience, I’d avoid Ohme and Octopus. Maybe for those who manage to get it working it’s good, but for those of us who can’t, the support is dismal. I’m going to give it another week and if it’s still not working, I’ll have the charger removed and returned to Ohme.

I also reached out to Porsche a week ago and no response either.

If you have any success, please let me know as I’d be interested in your set-up.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi

I’ve yet to achieve any consistency. In the last 4 weeks I’ve only managed 4 charges which worked correctly. Last night I had the My Porsche app reporting a charging error. When I went to check the car at around midnight it was charging fine so no idea what’s going on. My current set up is as follows:

My Porsche app - charging profile minimum charge 85% and optimised charging. Timer profile max 85% charge by 6.00am on daily repeat.

Ohme app - car added but not logged in via My Porsche login. No timers or schedules and price cap disabled. I also unplug and reset the charger from the app pretty much every day and if all else fails, I turn off the MCB protecting the charger for 10 minutes then turn on again.

Ohme app configured for Octopus Go Intelligent tariff.

I’ve tried many different combinations of price caps, Ohme schedules, Porsche timers and profiles and what’s frustrating is that on occasion, it works on the first night but not the next yet nothing has been changed.

Ohme asked me to provide images of my installation which I did over a week ago. Still waiting for a response from their technical team. Based on my experience, I’d avoid Ohme and Octopus. Maybe for those who manage to get it working it’s good, but for those of us who can’t, the support is dismal. I’m going to give it another week and if it’s still not working, I’ll have the charger removed and returned to Ohme.

I also reached out to Porsche a week ago and no response either.

If you have any success, please let me know as I’d be interested in your set-up.
Don't mix and match programming between car and EVSE. One or the other.

In your case disable all timers and profiles in My Porsche App.and ensure these updates are registered on the PCM (they should be if you have connectivity).

Let your Ohme dictate when a charging session begins and ends within the parameters you set.

I have OVO which fortunately talks directly to the car and is programmed via their Charge Anytime app. My Porsche app doesn't feature in the mix for home charging unless I want a separate timer for cabin preheat / cool.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I have Octopus Intelligent and a Taycan. Works fine with a Podpoint.
Leave Car and charger entirely dumb.
Just set the charge maximum and time you want to be ready on the Octopus App (ONLY) and plug in. The car will charge at first for a few minutes and then Octopus will work out the charging timings and charge you up overnight.
If the car, the charger (in yr case ohme) and Octopus are all trying to tell the car when to charge it doesn’t work.

OP
OP

Hazmo

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Don't mix and match programming between car and EVSE. One or the other.

In your case disable all timers and profiles in My Porsche App.and ensure these updates are registered on the PCM (they should be if you have connectivity).

Let your Ohme dictate when a charging session begins and ends within the parameters you set.

I have OVO which fortunately talks directly to the car and is programmed via their Charge Anytime app. My Porsche app doesn't feature in the mix for home charging unless I want a separate timer for cabin preheat / cool.
I’m pretty sure I’ve tried this but I’ll give it another try and see if it works. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP

Hazmo

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Just set the charge maximum and time you want to be ready on the Octopus App (ONLY) and plug in. The car will charge at first for a few minutes and then Octopus will work out the charging timings and charge you up overnight.
If the car, the charger (in yr case ohme) and Octopus are all trying to tell the car when to charge it doesn’t work.
Unfortunately with the Ohme charger, this disables the scheduling settings in the Octopus app so any schedules have to be set in either the car/app or charger. I’m going to try disabling all profiles in the car/app and just set charger to 85% and 7.30am. To do this, I’ll have to register the car in the Ohme app so it can determine the car charge level. Thanks for the advice and I’ll see if this works overnight.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Unfortunately with the Ohme charger, this disables the scheduling settings in the Octopus app so any schedules have to be set in either the car/app or charger. I’m going to try disabling all profiles in the car/app and just set charger to 85% and 7.30am. To do this, I’ll have to register the car in the Ohme app so it can determine the car charge level. Thanks for the advice and I’ll see if this works overnight.
Octopus intelligent is more clunky than Go. I have occasional problems but you get 6 hrs instead of 4 which is great for charging the other electric car which does less miles on the 3 pin plug.
Shift to Go if 4 hrs cheap rate at 7kw is ok. That’s 50 miles. If you don’t do more than that a day then it’s smoother running. If you need a big charge you can still do it at a bit more expense.
Go definitely less hassle and smoother than Intelligent.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’m pretty sure I’ve tried this but I’ll give it another try and see if it works. Thanks for the advice.
Please read the post from @Ross as he has a similar setup to you - set everything to 'dumb' mode (no timers / profiles) and rely solely on the Octopus App.

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
That's exactly how mine was setup.

Then a week or two ago, it just seemed to stop working and as soon as plugged in, it charged until I stopped. No profiles on car or Ohme. Just required charge set at Octopus app.

Raised this with Ohme due to a few errors it seemed to give (I'd been talking to them re: overvoltage) and they talked me through the setup using their app. They have replied today with a complete breakdown of comms between them and Octopus but seemed to drop connection numerous times for 15 mins resulting in a red light/charging error. Response from Ohme was 'we can't control what LED's the car displays'. I don't want my car red erroring regularly.

Going to try to charge to again tonight and see what it does. Need to run with it for a little while as at the moment I'm tempted to request its removal and replace with a different charger due to the numerous faults I've had

OP
OP

Hazmo

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
That's exactly how mine was setup.

Then a week or two ago, it just seemed to stop working and as soon as plugged in, it charged until I stopped. No profiles on car or Ohme. Just required charge set at Octopus app.

Raised this with Ohme due to a few errors it seemed to give (I'd been talking to them re: overvoltage) and they talked me through the setup using their app. They have replied today with a complete breakdown of comms between them and Octopus but seemed to drop connection numerous times for 15 mins resulting in a red light/charging error. Response from Ohme was 'we can't control what LED's the car displays'. I don't want my car red erroring regularly.

Going to try to charge to again tonight and see what it does. Need to run with it for a little while as at the moment I'm tempted to request its removal and replace with a different charger due to the numerous faults I've had
Are you on Octopus Go or Intelligent Octopus Go? I’m on intelligent OG and with Ohme, the Octopus App hands over all scheduling to the Ohme App.
Porsche Taycan Newbie Home Charging Issue (UK) IMG_4700

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
Are you on Octopus Go or Intelligent Octopus Go? I’m on intelligent OG and with Ohme, the Octopus App hands over all scheduling to the Ohme App.
IMG_4700.png
Intelligent Octopus Go. That’s what my octopus app now shows after being run through the changes by Ohme on Monday.

Previously it had the charge setting and time as was car integration as opposed to Ohme.

OP
OP

Hazmo

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Update:

The last 2 night charges have worked correctly. No timers on the Ohme App, car charge profile 85% optimised, car timer profile 85% by 6.00am daily repeat. When car is first plugged in the Ohme charger flashes green then blue. The car charger indicator lamp lights up blue. The app says charge pause. Next morning car charged to 85%, all at low energy rate and no charge error alert on app. Sadly, it’s not all good news. The Ohme charger the following day has a green light with fixed red indicator light which signifies a charger fault. If you simply plug the car in again, you get a charging error alert and the car indicator light goes fixed red and from my experience, the car will not charge. The way to overcome this is to disconnect the car, switch the circuit breaker serving the charger off for at least 10 minutes. Switch the breaker on again, plug the car back in and hey presto, flashing blue and green charger lights, flashing blue on the car and the app says charge paused. It seems that when the charge cycle is complete, the charger seems to get stuck in some fault mode loop which can only be cleared with a hard reset. I’m going for the third attempt tonight!
Sponsored