Night Driving Glasses Recommendations?

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Hey folks. I'm in my forties and recently had to start using reading glasses. My long distance vision is fine, except that when driving at night, glare from oncoming headlights and street lighting is more of an issue than it was in the past. So I'm looking for non-prescription, clear, anti-reflective glasses that can reduce the glare. I'm aware of the yellow-lens blue-light filtering types of night driving glasses - I want to avoid those or anything that colorizes the view.

Any recommendations for brand/model along these lines?
Sponsored

RichJ

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2015 BMW228ix, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
I am an ophthalmologist. There are many possible reasons for your symptoms.
First, please make sure the inside and outside surfaces of your windshield are clean. You probably have already done this.
Second, see your optometrist or ophthalmologist. Even is you think your distance vision is good, you may have an uncorrected refractive error or need for glasses. There could be uncorrected nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism that can be corrected with spectacles. This is the most likely reason for your symptoms in your forties.
Third, for drivers over 60, cataracts are the most common reason for your symptoms. Other more subtle problems, such as corneal surface disorders, previous refractive surgery such as LASIK, or dry eyes, can cause glare from headlights to be worsened.
Headlights are definitely brighter than they used to be and some are really annoying.
Anti-reflective surfacing on glasses reduce the reflection of light from the surface of the lens and make your glasses look better. They might minimally reduce glare from headlights, but the benefit is more anecdotal that proven statistically.
In summary, see your eye doctor. They will be able to examine your eyes and make sure you don't have an eye problem.

OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I am an ophthalmologist. There are many possible reasons for your symptoms.
First, please make sure the inside and outside surfaces of your windshield are clean. You probably have already done this.
Second, see your optometrist or ophthalmologist. Even is you think your distance vision is good, you may have an uncorrected refractive error or need for glasses. There could be uncorrected nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism that can be corrected with spectacles. This is the most likely reason for your symptoms in your forties.
Third, for drivers over 60, cataracts are the most common reason for your symptoms. Other more subtle problems, such as corneal surface disorders, previous refractive surgery such as LASIK, or dry eyes, can cause glare from headlights to be worsened.
Headlights are definitely brighter than they used to be and some are really annoying.
Anti-reflective surfacing on glasses reduce the reflection of light from the surface of the lens and make your glasses look better. They might minimally reduce glare from headlights, but the benefit is more anecdotal that proven statistically.
In summary, see your eye doctor. They will be able to examine your eyes and make sure you don't have an eye problem.
@RichJ I am overdue a visit to the eye doc so shall take your advice - thank you.
For a presumed eye-healthy person with a clean windscreen, is there any sort of lens that helps with glare at night? Zeiss DriveSafe, for example?
Sponsored