daveb3473

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Driving my 23 4 ct last week in the dark of the uk mendip hills, the weather was gradually more foggy and damp.

initially high beam assist was temporarily defective. Then multiple sensors started kicking up issues. Traffic signs, speed, radar (odd as this Should not change) etc until the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with amber errors galore.

the car stated so many errors. Once the fog cleared, within 2 miles so did all the errors.

I’ve never seen fog cause so many issues?

welcome any insights ,
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Driving my 23 4 ct last week in the dark of the uk mendip hills, the weather was gradually more foggy and damp.

initially high beam assist was temporarily defective. Then multiple sensors started kicking up issues. Traffic signs, speed, radar (odd as this Should not change) etc until the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with amber errors galore.

the car stated so many errors. Once the fog cleared, within 2 miles so did all the errors.

I’ve never seen fog cause so many issues?

welcome any insights ,
My guess is condensation on the windscreen cutout and other sensors.
On cold damp evenings my car comes up with warnings about dip beam and other forward facing sensors related let downs, some time after the cabin is warm it goes away.
A bit crap IMO but I am not familiar with how difficult it is to keep all theses sensors working.

I started driving on a farm at 12 passed my test the month of my 17th birthday then drove for decades with zero driver aids and over-rides which now seem quite cute when they work but only superficially of interest or importance to me. Just mildly irritating when they don’t work and throw up pings and warnings.

Driving in fog is dangerous and to be avoided where possible :)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As @f1eng says, moisture on the sensors and in particular the camera in the front windscreen.

Normal behaviour.

Sometimes you will also see ‘Limited Visibility’ appear on the left tube of the main instrument binnacle.

OP
OP
daveb3473

daveb3473

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Oh I get limited visibility at the hint of a drop of rain!

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I get errors saying the sensor is dirty first thing in the morning if it has been cold at night. Or on my way home. Takes a few minutes to clear and I presume is due to condensation

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
We are only two weeks away from fully autonomous self-driving cars that handle all conditions, don't you know.

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My guess is condensation on the windscreen cutout and other sensors.
On cold damp evenings my car comes up with warnings about dip beam and other forward facing sensors related let downs, some time after the cabin is warm it goes away.
A bit crap IMO but I am not familiar with how difficult it is to keep all theses sensors working.

I started driving on a farm at 12 passed my test the month of my 17th birthday then drove for decades with zero driver aids and over-rides which now seem quite cute when they work but only superficially of interest or importance to me. Just mildly irritating when they don’t work and throw up pings and warnings.

Driving in fog is dangerous and to be avoided where possible :)
I’m having this quite often after the car sits outside overnight it’s frozen. Once you start to drive, it warns that many assistant systems are off because the camera and sensors are obscured. Though it “fixes” itself after a couple of km

My previous bmw complained about that only when its front was fully covered with snow while I was driving in extremely bad conditions.
Sponsored