Peterp

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I'm wondering if it's a good idea to take my Taycan from the UK on holiday down to Austria (I've not had many long journeys with it as yet) as opposed to my wife's Prius. The concerns are the availability of chargers and cost on the motorway service stations as well as the added length of time it may take. What are people's experiences please?
And whilst I'm at has anyone done any analysis concerning at what price it's cheaper to use a petrol car on a given journey as opposed to an EV? The reason I ask is that I paid 0.79 pence per kw and reckon that for the mileage I had it would have been cheaper to have taken the wife's hybrid.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I'm wondering if it's a good idea to take my Taycan from the UK on holiday down to Austria (I've not had many long journeys with it as yet) as opposed to my wife's Prius. The concerns are the availability of chargers and cost on the motorway service stations as well as the added length of time it may take. What are people's experiences please?
And whilst I'm at has anyone done any analysis concerning at what price it's cheaper to use a petrol car on a given journey as opposed to an EV? The reason I ask is that I paid 0.79 pence per kw and reckon that for the mileage I had it would have been cheaper to have taken the wife's hybrid.
If you have the Porsche Charging card and the service included in your car, it will be a breeze. Have a look at this and similar reports by @tigerbalm .
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-to-switzerland-austria.17063/.

There are so many service stations that have HPC installed. You will be hard pressed to have a coffee and a croissant in the time it will take to charge your car from 20 to 80%!.

Do not hesitate taking the Taycan.

alexsas

First Name
Alexey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, I3
Country flag
I made two trips to the Alps from the UK this year (1000 km one way). Charging at Ionity (entirely possible with a little planning as Ionity is at many service stations along the motorway) was 30c/kwh, which I think is reasonable. To make things better more than 50% charges were not billed (at least something positive in all the software bugs we experience :))

It charges very very fast - it maybe added one hour to the otherwise 12 hours journey

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I do not live in Europe but there are some old threads in here by UK Taycan owners who encountered failures with their Taycans requiring dealer repair while on the continent and had problems getting the car back to them. Hopefully the car does not fail in another country, but if it does, may want to think about a plan.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I do not live in Europe but there are some old threads in here by UK Taycan owners who encountered failures with their Taycans requiring dealer repair while on the continent and had problems getting the car back to them. Hopefully the car does not fail in another country, but if it does, may want to think about a plan.
Yes there was some experience of that, but can’t remeber the details.

When my car failed in Stockholm, Sweden, it was quickly repaired by Porsche Assistance. We were repatriated back home in South of France at no cost to us. By flights and taxi. After repair my car was also shipped back home. But my car was completely dead with battery failure.

So it is really no risk to drive in foreign countries from that perspective as long as the warranty and Porsche Assistance is active. They do that quite well.

Sace

First Name
Anders
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Tourismo
Country flag
We drove from Denmark, through Germany and then around in Austria last summer. A trip I have done many times in my previous diesel car. I used the Porsche charging service which is convenient but only cheap on Ionity. Most of my charges was on non-Ionity charger (I always aim for locations with many stalls - I won't spend my time in a line for the chargers). So it could definetely have been done cheaper had I planned for only Ionity.

The total cost was almost exactly the same as when we took the trip in my diesel car before.

Regarding charging infrastructure - There is a lot! Never had any issues finding a suitable charge.

NeilJ

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT (Taycan 4S - sold), VW ID3
Country flag
I wouldn’t hesitate to take the Porsche. They’re fantastic long-distance vehicles. We’ve taken ours to Italy and to Spain, and with a bit of planning have managed Ionity for almost all charging which, with the Porsche card, is cheap and fast. Then just topped up with some slower charging at our destination. Chargers across Europe tend to be less busy than those in the UK - but still worth having a ‘Plan B’ in case you do find yourself in a queue.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I have been to the Alps and back in a Taycan from Rotterdam. No problem
Mostly Ionity at 30p - Dont sweat the odd 80p charge if the journey is easier.
Dont sweat the odd time if there is a bit of queue. Relax
Enjoy this trip.
Because it is a trip.
S Express in a Taycan.
Have fun

allroadusa

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ Pure White
Country flag
Living in France and having frequent roadtrip across eastern Europe, I'm really impressed by the quality and the density of fast charging infrastructures. Last week I went skiing in the Alps (750 kms both ways) and encountered no issue charging, even close the ski resorts.

The typical situation on french highways:
Porsche Taycan Driving in Europe IMG_1754.JPG

Besides the Porsche Charging services card,you might need few additional tricks I attempted to resume here: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/requirements-for-driving-in-france….15865/post-264901

I recently tested to charge at a Tesla Supercharger and the experience was actually quite good.
Porsche Taycan Driving in Europe IMG_1827.JPG

Price comparison between a Taycan charging on highways and a Panamera refuelling on highways goes in favor of the Taycan by 1 to 2.

As a summary, take theTaycan to Europe!

b16mov

First Name
ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
With my European adventure last year all I can say is everything is perfect
The roads the charging stations and the car

just enter your destination in the satnav and the car tells you where to stop and how long for then just tap your Porsche charging card and you get it for the discounted rate

I was amazed the amount of fast charging stations they are everywhere

I would pack the car and jump into the adventure and enjoy the car the way it’s built for because the the German roads are the best way to sample the Taycan

enjoy 😊

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
With absolutely no offence meant to the Prius, but the Taycan is incomparable as a touring car in every way. Enjoy the trip in the Taycan would be my vote :)
Sponsored